Pretty Good Science

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pretty Good Science

Here's an SSC with pretty good science, over 2000 beakers.
    Attached Files

Excellent!!

Too bad about the mountain.

Madrid must be a very special city to get +40 trade routes.

Monk
    so long and thanks for all the fish

Comment

One mountain left to terraform

It's a pity solo is such an early lander and doesn't have time to take care about that kind of details
      Aux bords mystérieux du monde occidental

Comment

Wow
        "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
        "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Very nice. But probably overkill. I assume Newt's is there too.
          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by rah
            Very nice. But probably overkill. I assume Newt's is there too.
            Overkill??

Only in the popgun version of the games you play now. You probably have not heard of Early Landing Games wherein speedy progress through the tech tree is the key to an early launch. Otherwise, the beauty and great value of 2000+ beakers from the SSC would be evident and prized.

With such an SSC, multiple techs per turn are a snap with any overseas trade, since the SSC contributes one by itself. So, not overkill.

If you can abide playing -v- the AI, you might actually enjoy vanilla Civ2 again. There is even a strategy guide!!

Hyperbolically speaking of course...

Monk

Comment

Alas, 2048 beakerts only lasted a brief turn or two until Flight was discovered. Without the Colossus, the total "plummeted" to 1656.

This city had Newton's and SETI was also contibuting a research lab. SETI probably was overdoing things, since 3 tech turns could not quite be manged in this one. Madrid was size 8, before 500 AD, about as big as an AI city can get by that time, and 3 railed routes produced as many trade arrows as I've seen in any game.

The mountain was purely for recreation and to enjoy as a vista. Slim Buttes was a hides repeater most of the game, too, but when playing as the Sioux, what else would you expect them to trade when there were all those buffalo running around.

Comment

Originally posted by solo
                The mountain was purely for recreation and to enjoy as a vista. .

50 000 pounds calculations + 1 pound poetry = the best of civ2

Comment

I'm surprised you had the time to use food caravans to grow the city - or have I missed something?

Stu
                  "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
                  "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Stu,

The two silk were used as irrigated wheat for extra food early and converted to silk after growth for more trade arrows.

Comment

Dem's a lot o' beakers. I don't think I've seen 2000+ before.

Comment

Geeze Bloody Monk, chill. Yes I have heard of early launch (five or so years ago, I participated and held the record for a few days), and I was the second player to win at OCC.

This is overkill if you're playing a normal game against the AI or othe human players for that fact.

And I stopped playing vanilla games years ago because they were no challange.

Humans are the only fun opponents, whether it be a MP game or one of the challanges. But the people have gotten so good at the challanges now, that even they're no fun anymore because the super anal approach that is necessary sucks all the fun out of it.

It's not like it took skill to make that city, just tedioius following predetermined methodologies.
                        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by rah
                          It's not like it took skill to make that city, just tedioius following predetermined methodologies.
                          I think you are somewhat unfair, because the 'predetermined methodologies' were in fact built by those people (mostly samson and solo) after many hours of brilliant research that really deserves to be admired IMHO.

Otherwise I agree that human opponents are much more of a challenge than the AI. But MP sessions are not the only way.
                          I enjoy very much PBEM games (despite their low rythm) and scenarios (where the human opponent is the author who has built in enough nasty surprises to make it a new game each time).
                          My (limited) experience at MP makes me think that it is a very special kind of game where you build cities on mountains and develop a high degree of aggressivity and speed.

You should allow other people to enjoy it otherwise.

Comment

I should chill??

You have become little Richie one note with your MP riff. So predictable and condescending toward anyone who still enjoys the traditional game. The way you describe your games it sounds like you no longer have the patience or attention span to play anything other than hurry up and die MP one nighters. But that does not mean someone would have to be "super anal" to play another style. It only takes interest. Sorry you lost yours.

Look, I bow before your greater experience and wisdom. Truly, you have forgotten more than I will ever know. (Especially now that I can no longer play.) I just think it is a shame that you seem to ALSO have forgotten the excitement and magic that this game can cause.

There are still new players coming to this game. Throwing cold water on their enthusiasm and turning every query to an MP plug is not particularly helpful, even though it may make you feel superior.

You ARE superior; now get over your bad self and act like a Mod. Please.

Monk

Comment

Originally posted by La Fayette

I think you are somewhat unfair, because the 'predetermined methodologies' were in fact built by those people (mostly samson and solo) after many hours of brilliant research that really deserves to be admired IMHO.
                              Couldn't have put it better myself. I'll add that it's far from being a closed book; refinements are being added all the time.

Comment

Working...
                              X