Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what should I do differently in MP v. SP?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have never fallen asleep during a game. Maybe my brother has...

And I'm even considerate about my smoke breaks. I rarely do them early in the game when turns are flying, and when I do them, I choose the proper time and try to plan out my next couple of turns before leaving.
    Example, going for a smoke the first turn your cities are celebrating so they're not growing that turn and need to be reviewed for further celebrating. Never leave during the next few turns since your adjusting cities untill they stop celebrating.

And 9 out of 10 times I'll be back before the heralding of my turn starting. I am very rarely accused of slow play.
    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I think I might try Slowthinkers PBEM fast duel 1st. While I don't think it would take me 5 minutes ( ) for early turns, I'm probably slower than most MP vets would appreciate...
      I'm consitently stupid- Japher
      I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Yeah, even when I feel like I'm doing well, setting workers and rushbuying between turns, feeling like I'm going recklessly fast, Rah still b1tches at me for being slow.

But each time, I improve...
        Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
        RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Don't be overly concerned. People do make mistakes in an attempt to keep the game moving. (doesn't mean rushing and sucking fun out of the game) Even the very experienced players make them. S*** Happens. No biggie. Very few of them are THAT critical. You learn from them and learn to live with them. Hey, you moved the settler in the wrong direction because you hit the wrong key. So the city gets founded two turns later. It happens. I don't want to scare people from joining.

You can practice all you want, it's not exactly the same. The only real experience (and thrill) comes from joining. No one is going to laugh at you too much if you lose in your first few games since most of us have been there.

And if you're still doing the same dumb things a year into doing it, then you'll be laughed at.
          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Yeah. Lemme clarify.

I've had a blast playing with Rah's group. It's really only in the post-mortem (and basically because I ask) that I get any flak. During the game, it's just... The Game.

My first game, I was sadly slow, and it was most Zylka who would kingchat subtle reminders (like "WELLL????"). I find the game totally absorbing, especially the challenge of playing against thinking humans in realtime.

Yeah, I know I'm at a disadvantage because I have to think through some stuff that is 2nd-nature to a 2x1x vet (like best city sites, etc). But when I make mistakes, I focus on my goals, not on the fact that I've lost ground. Cuz I know even the "old pros" sometimes forget to revolt in OEDO years, get caught mid-rushbuy, fall victim to a sticky mouse, etc.

The ability to laugh at yourself and Have Fun is what it's all about. With fun (smartass) people, MP is a rush.
            RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

I heard MWHC cheats a lot.

Comment

Please don't make accusation without anything to substantiate it. That's not the spirit of Apolyton.
                I played with him many times when mp first came out. Guess what? We all cheated in a way. We were finding all the cheats/loopholes in the rules. Until we identified them and agreed not to use them, they weren't considered cheats by our group. I know of NO OCCASIONS where MWHC violoated our agreements not to do certain things.

RAH
                and JR, Zylka "subtle"?
                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Subtle as a bulldozer...

Comment

I think many people here get confused with the difference between 'cheating' and my ability to crush just about any player.

Comment

I think many people here have the misimpression that GP/TCO really means the things he says....

Comment

The last two posts have brought a little amusement to an otherwise bleak snowy day here.

THANKS.
                        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

ok, back to topic. It's easy, the main thing about MP... every single turn has to be your best game.

Comment

When's the last time you played an MP game?
                            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by rah
                              Please don't make accusation without anything to substantiate it. That's not the spirit of Apolyton.
                              I played with him many times when mp first came out. Guess what? We all cheated in a way. We were finding all the cheats/loopholes in the rules. Until we identified them and agreed not to use them, they weren't considered cheats by our group. I know of NO OCCASIONS where MWHC violoated our agreements not to do certain things.

RAH
                              and JR, Zylka "subtle"?
                              I have my sources...

Comment

Originally posted by My Wife Hates CIV
                                I think many people here get confused with the difference between 'cheating' and my ability to crush just about any player.
                                You mean having two computers?

Comment

Working...
                                X