Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what should I do differently in MP v. SP?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's one thing I'm a little worried about too.

Comment

Prior to 3200, You have two cities, two or three units exploring units, there isn't a whole lot to be thinking about. Not many decisions here folks.

General exploring.
      Finding huts.
      Getting to monarchy.
      Kicking out a few settlers.
      If this takes longer than 5 minutes for 4 people.........

If anything else is cluttering your mind at this point, you should stick to playing SP.
      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

ST, I'm anticipating that you'll jump in here with a list of things for people to think about at the beginning of the game....

Comment

And once I read it, I'll repeat my statement.
          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

ST,

I guess you've chosen the right Apolyton alias, at least according to rah et al.

I don't mind playing that slow; I can read a good book while you, eh, micromanage your early empire.

Maybe we can get a game going sometime this late summer/early fall (the earliest that I can play )?

Carolus

Comment

But won't you (or those responsible for the bill) be paying for your internet connection all the time ST is er, slowly thinking?

Now I love reading as much as the next oaf who came out of university with a nigh-worthless degree in English and French literature, but not if I was paying for a net connection at the same time. Of course, in these salad days of broadband, then you may be one of the lucky few who can stay connected all day and still pay a flat fee, but not me Daddy-o!

Comment

At home I've been on-line via modem until now, but that will have to change. Don't know how many times I've been disconnected and not been able to get back on-line to continue playing...

Oaf, salad days?

Carolus

Comment

Yes, broadband is great, but I wouldn't think of using it as an excuse to play slowly.

An effort to plan how every unit is going to be moved prior to each turn can speed up the game greatly. It is understood that things can change based on what happens during the turn which may require a little extra thought, but thinking ahead saves time.

In one game, a player had just settled both cities and had 0 units. Their next turn took 4 minutes with no units to move. I don't care what they were thinking about, it shouldn't take that long.
                  RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Yes, the key is to stay engaged in the game you're playing. Plan your next moves, count your beakers, realign workers, etc. while the others take their turns.

If you like to do early perfectionism, I agree that it should not be done at the expense of noticeably slowing down the game. I don't have the experience that some of these hardcore players have, but find the game much more fun when I make an effort to maintian the rhythm of things.

In the later going, it's understood that there are more things to do, and that kingchat negotiations may delay a decision. but on the other hand, everyone's turns are taking longer, so you have time to rushbuy etc. during the other players' turns.

Reading? Like I said, it's all about getting into the game's rhythm and staying tuned in.
                    Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Originally posted by -Jrabbit

Reading?
                      Not even Solo's unabridged MP strategy guide?

I agree with you about "being in the game". I never did other things when I played MP in the past (although you might think so judging from my play!), but if ST is looking for a game and has trouble finding opponents, then why not?

Maybe I'm overly optimistic about reading while playing, but it's worth a try. Surfing Apolyton might do as well...

Carolus

Comment

Originally posted by rah

Yes, broadband is great, but I wouldn't think of using it as an excuse to play slowly.
                        Hm... I seem to recall having read somewhere about someone who fell asleep while playing... Or was it not coming back after a smoke (or some beers?)? Or both?

Yes, of course broadband isn't an excuse to play slowly. Strange logic!

Carolus

Comment

Originally posted by Carolus Rex

Oaf, salad days?
                          Oaf means idiot, fool.
                          Salad days comes from Shakespeare's Antony & Cleopatra (appropriately for Civ ), and basically refers to youth. I meant that broadband is still new, and hasn't established itself fully as the automatic choice of internet users.

Comment

English and French literature indeed! Although I do not know my Shakespeare nearly as well as I ought to (except, perhaps, for Hamlet), I dare say that "Daddy-o" is from no play of his...

Carolus

Comment

'In one game, a player had just settled both cities and had 0 units. Their next turn took 4 minutes with no units to move. I don't care what they were thinking about, it shouldn't take that long.'

This is why I do not play MP. i can not sit at the desk for 5 hours to do what takes 60 seconds during a SP game.

Comment

Originally posted by Carolus Rex
                                Hm... I seem to recall having read somewhere about someone who fell asleep while playing... Or was it not coming back after a smoke (or some beers?)? Or both?

Yes, of course broadband isn't an excuse to play slowly. Strange logic!

Carolus
                                Smokes and beers are the equivalent of using the bathroom -- basic human needs!
                                Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                                RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Working...
                                X