No announcement yet.

Why bribe? Just defend like a diplomat!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

YEs, the one city has been know for awhile.
    There has been condsiderable debate about two cities. I've seen some heroic defense from the second city, but nothing that has stood to the rigors of testing.
    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Does it make a difference if there are any NON Settlers running around? I can't imagine that it would, but if you lose your one city with a NON Settler still in existence, the game isn't over (well, not officially over ) and I am guessing that the invulnerable defender trick was intended to prevent early demises...

In rare games, I've tipped a hut and come up with barbarians before the second city was founded... in those games, I've sometimes delayed founding until the barb Archer/chariot was defeated.
      "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
      "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

STOYM,

I had a NON settler at the time, so I guess it makes no difference.

Comment

No, if you have a NON settler, then it's just like playing OCC. The barbs can't take your only city, no matter what the situation in OCC (as long as it's defended. ).

I was puzzled by the first rule in the four posted by Marquis, but I suppose that even if you have other units in the city, then the dip will have the lowest defence and automatically defend last. The only way you'll get a superdip is if you've only got one unit.

--------------------------------------------------------

Monk's assistant - I didn't intend to sound sarcastic.
          That's the trouble with posting on forums like this - when I want to sound sarcastic it never works, and now I sound sarcastic when I had no intention of doing so.
          Sorry if anyone took offence - Monk is a valued member of this community, and we value your efforts to keep him here most highly.

Comment

Originally posted by solo
            It may be that one's capital gets special defense, even if there is more than one city.
            Solo, there is an ongoing defense bonus for the capital against barbarian attacks. In this thread are some results:

Zenon

Comment

Yep, that thread had many good points from both you, Zenon, and Elephant. And if I read it correctly, SlowThinker tested the 2nd city defense bonus as being ~ 2.5x for warrior -v- Barb Archer.

Monk
              so long and thanks for all the fish

Comment

Just for the fun of going a bit off topic in this interesting thread : If I recall the AI has an overall bonus against barb, but what about the AI capitals ?
                In the "scorched-earth" succession game, Barbs have captured very earlySamarkand (city of mongol ai civ) and landed a billion assault against Kakarokorum without any success.
                Has anyone else taken notice
                Oh Man, when will you understand that your greatness lies in your failure - Goethe

Comment

Julius,
                  If you look at that linked thread you will see I noticed that in my tests.
                  Civ2 "Great Library Index": direct download, Apolyton attachment

Comment

Thanks for the pointer to that excellent thread.

ST,

I am nearing your kind of city totals in EL #7, but have yet to try Xinning with disorder. You might like trying that game too if you are not too busy knocking off opponents in your new style of MP games.
                    Last edited by solo; December 30, 2003, 12:05.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowThinker
                      Julius,
                      If you look at that linked thread you will see I noticed that in my tests.
                      Sorry
                      I didn't took time to follow the link
                      I wonder if the Apolyton community knows more about the game than the programmers themselves (considering they had split tasks)
                      Oh Man, when will you understand that your greatness lies in your failure - Goethe

Comment

I agree, Julius.

I also think the collective community effort has revealed the game to be far more than its creators ever dreamed. Perhaps the games' creation was overshadowed by a Divine Hand.

Monk
                        so long and thanks for all the fish

Comment

[aside to She Who Helps] I also took the darker hints to mean the loss of Civving. I'm glad that is clear now, and thank you for keeping the Monk going.

I'm sure the synergy of some features have been a surprise to team members who lurk in these and other fan forums.
                          It would be interesting if someone came up with a crack that stripped some of the benefits against barbs.
                          (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
                          (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
                          (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

Noone has yet directly answered my question

I recall holding the one city with a number > 1 of camels - yes, I am confident that a camel will hold against infinite barbs - but as I read the above it is felt that only the last camel will do so - this conflicts with my memory ...

Stu
                            "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
                            "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

As far as I am concerned, and all Civ experience has shown me, then as long as you only have one city, and a guard of any kind, then the barbs are unable to take this city. If you have more than one guard, the barbs are unable to kill the first defender, or even to cause it any damage.

Comment

Agreed.
                                It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                                X