No announcement yet.

Succession Game Proposals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another semi thought regarding a future game -- crummy units. I was trolling along and saw some old threads (what is the best unit/worst unit) and I thought that maybe combined with Silly II (when Six returns ) each player notes some favorite units & "never used" ones.

The potential "requirements" of what units to use are only beginning to come to the surface...
    Those with lower expectations face fewer disappointments

Comment

• Well you can't have D>A, because that would disallow warriors, and we'd have nothing to build/explore with (the second settler?) until we got Bronze Working.

Thanks Elephant!
      I was using one of those symbols, but once I'd changed the positions of A and D and used the other, then it works.

Comment

• Crummy units - Hmm.
        The Helicopter and Carrier SXN Game!

The Chariot Conquest SXN Game!

The Partisan SXN game!

Fans are waiting...

Comment

• Originally posted by duke o' york
          Thanks Elephant!
          I was using one of those symbols, but once I'd changed the positions of A and D and used the other, then it works.
          When you have the < symbol followed by something the HTML interpreter takes over and tries to render it.

Comment

• OK, I have been thinking that it's time for another restrictive ruleset game now that the 2003 models are drawing to a close.
            I liked the silly game ruleset plan, with each entrant contributing a restriction. For some reason I have been obsessed recently with the Esquimeaux game in which cities can only be built on tundra or glacier.

An alternate rule might be to require all cities to use whales, including a victory condition that all whales on the map must be found and used by one of our cities. Walrus is another candidate for global exploitation.

The infamous (and probably apocryphal/ wife-sharing trait suggests a requirement to gift a spy to any civ with which one makes contact.

Despite the attraction of the crummy units restriction, I can't come up with further rules in that spirit yet, although the Esquimeaux are notoriously peaceful if you're not a polar bear. Harpoons are not currently in the build queue.

I don't have capability for posting a giga map, so will have to wait for more technologically up to date posters to start. The early game promises to be slow.

Idea 2:

Underused units definitely include frigates, which suggests a Horatio Hornblower game, forbidding units more advanced than musketeer and frigate, and eschewing all units with attack greater than defence. (equal to defence *might* be OK) We must be at war with the French at all times.

Comment

• Maybe I need more bran but those ideas sound tedious. Sorry, G.

With the major slowdown in players and game playing, I sincerely suggest that before a new game gets started that 4-6 players sign on. We have been stalled for almost three weeks in a free-for-all, for pete's sake!! Not only are players not playing, but nobody is even chattering.

Perhaps someone with a longer memory will suggest a variant of one of the earlier games from days/years gone by. Personally, I prefer rule restrictions that limit our flexibility but do not tie us in knots. Have to build a market before that city can deliver a van, no city bribing allowed, that sort of thing. The important thing, in my view, is to get more folk involved and excited about the game.

Monk
              so long and thanks for all the fish

Comment

• I was very pleasantly surprised with the turnout and response with O Solo Mio.

Two ideas come to mind -- one is a simple OCC on a giga map.

The other is a forced Fundy OCC -- Bloodlust (ala Kev over at Cfc) -- a serious challenge regardless of map size (we'd probably need restarts off.)
                Those with lower expectations face fewer disappointments

Comment

• Here is an idea I thought of yesterday.

We start as an early landing free for all - establish the SSC, build the wonders and continue through to launch.

The launch turn is saved and it then turns into a no holds barred comparison game scramble to achieve a high score - conquest, WoWs, whatever - at the landing date.

We might need a few guidelines on play during the first phase. The second phase would be available to anyone who had played in the first phase.

Any takers?

RJM at Sleeper's
                  Fill me with the old familiar juice

Comment

Working...
                  X