Dye Copper bug - a patch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yes its powerfull if you get it and someone else doesn't
    Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

Especially if it's one of your island cities and your capital.
      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

that was sortof redundant now wasn't it.....

but i suppose other cites work too

Comment

Can't be, 'cause hides often does get "used up." Also other commodities can become repeatedly available/demanded.

The marker for availability might be affected by signed shortint rollover or something.
          (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
          (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
          (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

Originally posted by War4ever
            that was sortof redundant now wasn't it.....

but i suppose other cites work too
            No I meant getting a repeated demand on an island city fed by a repeated supply from your capital. I had that one game and made a fortune in gold and beakers, delivering one every turn since it was profitable to even buy the first rack. I did build some warriors in a small feeder city to send to the cap to disband to save some money. Eventually the demand cycle stopped, but not before I had sent over a dozen.
            It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Straybow
              Can't be, 'cause hides often does get "used up." Also other commodities can become repeatedly available/demanded.

The marker for availability might be affected by signed shortint rollover or something.
              Yes, other commodities can become repeatedly available by being freed up by the delivery of a caravan. But hides, as long as it stays in a supply slot, is always available, even immediately after being produced. Hides is only 'used up' when the supply list changes (see the thread: How Supply and Demand lists are Determined).

A better explanation for Hides' behavior would be that the supply, or demand, commodity is indicated by the numbers 0 to 15. When they are in-use or "blocked" that state is indictated by the negative of their value. Since "0" represents Hides and 0 has no negative, Hides is never blocked.

Comment

Yes, that is what I've experienced, but alas, it eventually changes.
                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

its such an unfair advantage to the player using it tho...but we can't do anything about it

Comment

but it's no different then getting that nomad from your first hut. A huge advantage, but it's luck and it happens, and you can only hope it evens out during the game.
                    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

yes but the nomad later in the game never evens out the nomad in the first 1000 years.....the first 1000 years are so important....especially if mon is involved or like you said tribe/nomad

Comment

I wasn't saying that getting one later equals out getting one earlier. I was more speaking in general that throughout the game luck will happen and over the course of many games, statistically it will even out. Especially over the number of games that we play.
                        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Samson, if we are to use the patch in competitive play we need a patched version of MPG to go with the patch for 2.4.2.

Regarding Huts, it seems like those of us who have "bad luck" early on, with or without hut-popping, just abandon the game and start a new one. So our perception is tilted towards the ones we play on, where we had "better luck"; but if we are honest with ourselves we have abandoned a number of games because of something, and bad results of hut-popping may be one of those things we have forgotten. Playing the EL games, several players abandoned early on (at least one in mid-game too), partly because we were running very poorly defended empires to maximize research. We were too close to the edge for any serious disruptive events, even if it was only a badly-timed Barb or unruly neighbor. What we really showed was that, stripped to the defenseless bone, you can get your landing time down below 1000AD (but not 500AD - yet), but your civilization will be extremely fragile. Things like Early Republic and Marco Polo will help you down that path, but the most important is early, strong trade.

Comment

*bump*

Just wondering if samson ever got his wonderful programming guru friend to look into the Dy/Cu bug the MGE code.
                            (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
                            (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
                            (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

I asked, but I think Samson disappeared again before seeing the question. So for now the answer is no.

Comment

Working...
                              X