No announcement yet.

Strategies against Barbarian Attacks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No and yes, respectively. I was still in Monarchy when I investigated the city.

Comment

I know that it has absolutely nothing to do with the question here, but why didn't you just buy the city? You'd have got all the defenders for free and not reduced the population by attacking it.
      Barb cities come very cheap and you can get round senate interference by just throwing money at the barbs rather than units. It's not as if you can demand tribute from the barbs or insist they leave your territory.

Is the resolution on your monitor not all that?
      Maybe the barb was from the orange civ?

Comment

Duke, you misunderstand.... I was stopped from attacking barbarian Units 40 squares away from the barb city and not produced by it. I eventually did buy the city, but only after slaking my thirst on tastey NONE units.

Comment

It was not the orange civ. The message actually came up "DO YOU WISH TO DECLARE WAR ON THE BARBARIANS?"

I went ahead and then got, "YOU ARE OVERRULED BY THE SENATE, ACTION CANCELLED."

Comment

Never seen that one, but heard someone else said they saw it, many moons ago.
            It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by rah
              Never seen that one, but heard someone else said they saw it, many moons ago.
              I've seen it, but not lately.
              "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
              "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

But the barbarians are always at war with you!

I wonder if the Senate would have said the same thing had you allowed them to attack you first. Maybe it is because the barbs actually have a city.

The Senate are stupid anyway.

Comment

I remember someone bringing this up, though to my recollection I've never seen it. It wasn't a Mac idiosyncracy was it?

Comment

What I remember was the person said that it only came up once. Later on, he never even got the senate message when attacking barbs.
                    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I'm a Mac user and often play in Democracy.

I've never had Senate interference with any Barb interaction, random or city-based. (Of course, when I wish to re-take a Barb NONE farm, I usually bribe, to get all the units and maintain city size.)
                      Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                      RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

I did bribe the city (later). I was not attacking the city. I was attacking random barbs on a different part of the map when I heard from the Senate. Also, I have a PC, not a Mac.

Comment

Sounds possible, after all, you can also establish an embasy with them.
                          (The dip vanishes but off course there is nothing in the diplo screen)

Comment

Yes, when the Barbs have at least one city they are treated as a "cvilization". You can try to establish an embassy (the Dip disappears, nothing on F3), and they can do research. You can even get a tech from taking their city, if they have anything you dont have (hah!). In Rep/Dem there can be Senate interference with attacking Barb units, but if you let them attack you several times it will eventually disappear. It's the "down side" of keeping a Barb city as a NONE farm.

Comment

That's wierd, wild stuff, 'Phant. Given my preferred strategy of minimal military and focusing on trade and science early, that makes a barb city a very questionable enterprise. I depend on being able to use a couple of attackers to cover wide swaths of space...

Comment

After I started playing MP, I also stopped using none farms. They don't stay barb cities for long in MP games. At least not on our small rock worlds.
                                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                                X