No announcement yet.

PBEM - Virgin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am absolutely ignorant with regards to PBEM games, but I am interested.
    That said, I'm in UTC -3 and playing time starts at 22:00
    (which makes it 8 p.m. EST or 1 a.m. GMT).
    Let me know if I'd be welcome. Thanks.

Note: UTC = Universal Time (Coordinated) (replaced the GMT)
    "You cannot simultaneously prevent and prepare for war" - Albert Einstein
    Eternal Ruler of the Incan Empire in the History of The World 5 Diplomacy Game. The Diplogame HotW 6 is being set up.
    Citizen of the Civ4 Single Player Democracy Game JOIN US!
    Wanna play some PBEMs!?

Comment

You're welcome, we haven't start the game yet. But we'll have to change the world size to standard. No problem at all with me.

But what do you think, folks?
      Post your white (or black) balls here and, with luck, we can launch this tomorrow (or sooner, if everybody gives you an "ok" tonight ).

Edited:

...AND if noone say nothing, I'll start the game with NicodaMax added, in the before-the-last spot (I don't know the word for that! ), changing the world size to standard.

It will be a good game, with 6 players...

My MSN is AroCiv (at) msn (dot) com, without spaces or brackets. you can add me, make thing easy.

And, NicodaMax, post your e-mail here...
      Last edited by Aro; January 10, 2006, 13:21.
      RIAA sucks
      The Optimistas
      I'm a political cartoonist

Comment

Very Imporatant:

CIV PBEM Info <--- click here

Originally posted by Rommel2D
        I'l be maintaining the first few posts here periodically. Please post if you have any information to add/correct...

Game Configuration

First off CIV PBEM isn't very playable out of the box. The first player's name is reset every time a save is loaded, and that player is unable to make trades in the game. Also, v100 games with passwords cannot be upgraded to newer versions- password encryption has changed. Please be sure you are patched to v109 before participating in a game.

CIV has a feature where the game will automatically mail the save to the next player for you. However, this is not fully functional as of v109. Most email services (e.g. yahoo, gmail) require SMTP authentication (called SSL) that won't work with CIV automail until support is added in a future patch. A privilaged few have it working correctly already, but it won't for most others. It's also easy to miss the message on screen telling you that the automailing failed, so this might bring some games to a brief halt if someone trying it isn't careful.

Also, if someone's email doesn't require SSL, but does use a port different than 25 to connect to SMTP, they can use the auto-mailer now, but need to add the appropriate port at the end of the server name with a colon in front- server.name:SMTPport#

Players should be careful to end their turn by clicking the flashing red circle near their civ's flag. If saved from the menu option, the save can cause problems. I'm not sure if this was fixed in v109, but I'd expect it will be eventually.
        And…

Originally posted by Rommel2D
        When setting up the game, the admin should be sure to make a unique name for it- the program will create a dedicated folder in my documents/my games and automatically save to it. The admin can also make an admin password by pressing shift-alt-D. Canuck Soldier reports this can be done during their first turn as a player.

There are a few options for setting player passwords. They can be emailed to the admin and entered at the set up screen. Quicker would be for the admin to assign simple starter passwords and send these out to the players. They can then use Alt-d on their turn to change the password to one that suits them better. Alt-d can be used on any turn to change player passwords and/or change other information.

New for 1.52
        PBEMs with admin passwords will not upgrade to version 1.52. The admin password must be edited out first- Sabrewolf seems to have the inside track on this process...
        RIAA sucks
        The Optimistas

Comment

My email is jaguarda "at" vtr "dot" net
          thanks.
          (why do you write the email in this fashion?, and in English I think its "before last" )
          Eternal Ruler of the Incan Empire in the History of The World 5 Diplomacy Game. The Diplogame HotW 6 is being set up.
          Wanna play some PBEMs!?

Comment

Because software robots can steal your e-mail if they find anything like "blabla@something.com", and add you to those big spam lists. However, my e-mail seems to be already in every spam list over the net.

I really don't know why I still care...

Well, lets wait and hear something from the other folks about you. If nothing happens till tonight, I'll start the game with you included. The game is already setted, but I didn't started yet.

"Before last", thanks! (my english skils are really bad )
            RIAA sucks
            The Optimistas

Comment

Nope, not true....
              your English is just fine
              Wanna play some PBEMs!?

Comment

Thanks.
                Forest

Btw, folks... It's night here, it's time to play and the game has just started!

Turn sent to ForesterSOF.
                RIAA sucks
                The Optimistas

Comment

Even a fool is thought wise if he remains silent.

Comment

I believe you copy-pasted by email wrong in the top post. It should read:

a underscore petryk at hotmail dot com

Just replace every second word with the character it names.
                    And her eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming...

Comment

Sorry, Dominae... It's corrected now.

Well, I put the e-mail addresses in the ingame, just in case, you hit Alt+D and fix it...

Btw, I'm not using the ingame e-mail, desnt work to everyone.
                      Last edited by Aro; January 10, 2006, 04:44.
                      RIAA sucks
                      The Optimistas

Comment

Can not read the turn.

It wants 101 save format and I am using Version 1.52

May I suggest we all get 152 since it is the latest version.
                        You have two choices in life; Explore and learn or Vegetate.
                        There is a reason for everything.

Comment

I'm using 1.52... as everyone here, I presume...
                          I don't understand.
                          RIAA sucks
                          The Optimistas

Comment

Originally posted by ForesterSOF
                            Can not read the turn.

It wants 101 save format and I am using Version 1.52

May I suggest we all get 152 since it is the latest version.
                            I'll setup another test game (exactly the same settings as ours) and test in two different machines.

How are you loading the game? From the PBEM menu, I suppose...?
                            RIAA sucks
                            The Optimistas

Comment

Probably a stupid question, but did you end your turn by hitting the red button?
                              Wanna play some PBEMs!?

Comment

Yep, and the save was in the correct place as should be.
                                RIAA sucks
                                The Optimistas

Comment

Working...
                                X