[PBEM] Industrial Start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Corossol

Does it make a difference in Civ4, since the Apollo project doesn't actually reside there?
    I ask in passing because, it so happens, that I DID raze your capital this turn.

I already prepared some post-game remarks, but just to be safe I'll wait for your confirmation next turn before i post them. Meanwhile, on to GS

with which units did you raze it?

on only remember seeing a single mech inf on the forested hills... ?!?
    - Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity
    - Atheism is a nonprophet organization.

Comment

• oh... i think i know how...

nuke to kill off some units and the gunships that were just in range... and that pesky mechinf to finish the job. crap crap crap

now i really hope my people managed to escape... and that the capital razing does not lead to my spaceship failing to launch

Comment

• first he nuked me:

then 3 gunships swept over the ruins of the city:

and finally his machanised infantry killed the only survivors:

leaving nothing but havoc:

Comment

• That's pretty much how it happened, here are some clarifications.

First, our spies spread panic throughout the American cities:

Then they move out of the way for the fireworks:

Fighters from three aircraft carriers converge on the city, bringing our elite troops to the battlefield:

And clearing the way...

...for the gunships to settle any remaining disagreements.

And finally the Mechs take the scenic route around the fallout and stroll into the empty city. Tumbleweed greets them as liberators.

Now wait a minute... what's this?
          -C.

Comment

• wow, i'm compared to the former polish president, lech walesa!

well, the polish people and the sabrewolvian people did have a lot in common: in the 1940s the cruel germans performed a lot of atrocities and destroyed a lot of towns before they eventually still lost...
            Attached Files

Comment

• this is the battlefield just after the launch. top left are the 3 german gunships and the mechinf, surrounded by nuclear fallout.

what corossol doesn't know: every single person living in the capital was either sent into space or hid in the bunker waiting for the post apocalyptic war to finish.
              Attached Files

Comment

• pretty interesting that HAK was engaged in a war against tokugawa which i was hardly aware of!

i can imagine he would have been a more important role in world politics had he not had to take over a badly managed civ from he predecessor

speaking of has anybody heard of jshelr?
                Attached Files

Comment

• and finally: extreme city dominance!
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Besieged by bombers, surrounded by numberless German war machines, the American Sabrewolf races to complete his spaceship... and shoots out of the atmosphere as the enemy's nuclear arsenal engulfs his devastated homeland. General Corossol shakes his fist at the heavens... "damn you, Sabrewolf! I'll chase you across the galaxy! Ghhaaaa!..."

Congratulations to Sabrewolf and all players on a good game. The "industrial factions" concept of two Americans and two Germans provided some good flavor. This is my first completed PBEM, Sabre was right saying this one would be "over in a flash" (relatively speaking) on page 1. Here are some parting remarks...

Originally posted by sabrewolf
                    on the other hand it was just a matter of time. 1-2 turns later he would have got me and in the long run i wouldn't stand the slightest chance!
                    I definitely should have struck earlier... can you imagine the nuke 1 turn earlier? more on this below.

while i also consider myself a strong and detailed PBEM player, i believe you are better than me in most facets of the game!
                    This is too much praise! I'd say we're quite evenly matched, micromanagement helping. I sure was impressed by the reversal of my early-game dominance when you suddenly started grabbing all the technologies and Wonders. Except for the Space Elevator which I just could not let you have.

- instead of pursuing the early christian shrine (delaying other great people) i should just have played normally (i must say that i'm surprised by corossol's active spreading of hinduism. most of my cities were producing way too many hammers to "waste" it on missionaries.
                    In my mind, religion = 6 XP, other benefits are incidental. Besides a missionary is just 1 turn, just emphasize food and you won't spill over. I agree that the foreign spying part was not really worth it though, since Communism came along fast.

- i thought i had plenty of time to sail the ocean. so no rushing of caravels and galleons. again, a mistake! about 2 turns before i had circled the globe, corossol did it before me. this +1 movement later was also very important towards the sneak attack.
                    I never knew you were that close! Guess I was wise to hurry up then... but you got your revenge in the Waterfront game.

- i didn't upgrade my units although i KNEW corossol was going to attack. this was absolutely foolish!
                    Hm yes, upgrading those Battleships might have been a good idea. Would have turned a lot of >66% battles into <50% battles.

- when calculating my spaceship builds and the cost of destroying the build i didn't consider that corossol would extort the AI players. this nearly gave me a faint heart attack when i suddenly saw that it had dropped from 1 to 3 turns. fortunately i could chop some forests that had been pre-chopped and boost it in the end.
                    The forest pre-chop is good. I had not planned this in my calculations and/or hoped you hadn't thought of it.

My own biggest mistake was not tactical, it was strategic. Though I played each turn well, I was not moving towards a clear victory path. I'm sure you'll agree that I kept forever setting up my attack, settling around your land, positioning sentries etc, while I should have struck early for maximum disruption. It was acceptable to go for one large assault, but I slept at the wheel and woke up finding you 3-4 turns to spaceship completion while I was starting to load the carriers and transports. The initial plan was to land both on your mainland and your Arctic uranium-mining facility while completing the Manhattan Project (and then getting everyone to vote on Nuclear Non-Proliferation 3 turns later after I'd made the world's only nukes). But you built too fast and I had to attack 2 turns earlier than expected, sending a weaker force and betting everything on a Spy sabotage that, in addition to its high cost, had relatively low odds of success. Even that was not enough, and late in the Oil Age you prevailed through the oldest form of combustion known to man... WOOD!

Once again, congratulations on a bitter struggle. Just look at the Score graph to see how close it was, our lines were almost indistinguishable for each other. Make sure to forward the final save BTW, so I can get the Replay.

Once again Sabrewolf, g_storrow, HitAnyKey, good game all !
                    -C.

Comment

Working...
                    X