The Big Easy PBEM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Big Easy PBEM

I've finally found time to set up the set-up thread......

Players so far :

Moi
    Nugog
    Nugog's mate
    Kiwallabok
    Kiwallabok's mate

Game style will be a relaxed paced, no stressers if someone is busy with the mundane chores of real life, emphasis on diplomacy over churning out turns as quick as possible type affair....... That said it would be good to get 1-2 turns a week, so do we want to accept any more players???

Thoughts and proposed game settings please........
    Let your every day be full of joy, love the child that holds your hand, let your wife delight in your embrace, for these alone are the concerns of humanity.
    The BtS Pitboss Team Democracy Game has just started!!!
    Come and test your metal in the Apolyton Civ4 Beyond the Sword Tri-League Tournament
    Tohunga o kairākau of Southern Cross in the Warlords Pitboss Team Democracy Game, and Member of the Great Council and Curator of The Khan's Compendium for The Horde in the Civ4 Team Democracy Game

I'm in and I'll direct Nick to this thread.
    I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

Re: The Big Easy PBEM

Originally posted by RobWorham
      That said it would be good to get 1-2 turns a week, so do we want to accept any more players???
      5 players, with many of us (all?) in the same timezone (well sorta), will mean one turn a week in we are lucky.
      I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

Pangea is in my opinion the best map for straight out diplomacy.

Easy and early contact with each other.

Continents would on the other possibly lead to a two Civ vs 3 Civ setup. And while that has plenty on interesting late game diplo possibilities - early on the two civ continent has no option but to work together, to have any hope of keeping up with the three civ continent. So not much fun for those two really. Even if they attack each other - once the war is over, the survivor will be too far behind, from a tech point of view, and probably would have invested too many hammers in the war as well.

New World is always interesting - particularly if we get someone to tweak the barbs on the new wortld, advance their tech start, settler count, and actually build them a couple of cities. (Just a thought that last bit).

Comment

From a setting point of view:

No Tech Brokering. This encourages diplo IMO. For those not aware - No Tech Brokering means you can only trade on techs you have actually researched, not techs you have recieved from another civ. If this option is selected, then the game controls this - the player does not have to muck around with lists etc.

I also think that we shoulod select No City Razing (that will surprise Rob). Effectivelly this means you have more to think about when contemplating war.

Comment

All great points!!!

What about game speed?? If the turn pace is going to be slowish, maybe we should play a fast game speed
            Let your every day be full of joy, love the child that holds your hand, let your wife delight in your embrace, for these alone are the concerns of humanity.
            Come and test your metal in the Apolyton Civ4 Beyond the Sword Tri-League Tournament
            Tohunga o kairākau of Southern Cross in the Warlords Pitboss Team Democracy Game, and Member of the Great Council and Curator of The Khan's Compendium for The Horde in the Civ4 Team Democracy Game

Comment

Lastly - as seen in another setup thread.

Rather than picking our own civs - we each pick a civ we think is weak/bad.

Then someone (FeMme maybe) can randomly assign the leaders to each player, making sure that players do not get the leader they picked.

My only thoughts with this is wether we allow mutliple civs and or leaders or not.

Comment

Originally posted by RobWorham
                All great points!!!

What about game speed?? If the turn pace is going to be slowish, maybe we should play a fast game speed
                Normal or quick I'd say.

Strangely - I would think that tech trades would be more powerful on quick, due to the research ratios between the speeds.

Comment

mates im happy with anythin i just wanna play n learn
                  www.saf.net.nz

Comment

Nick is registered here - but he has moved house and is awaiting internet to be hooked up at home.

Comment

Pete's friend has registered at Poly, we are just waiting for him to get used to the Poly interface and post here........

Comment

Someone who has trouble posting!

Maybe I should talk to him..........

Comment

Originally posted by Nugog
                          Nick is registered here - but he has moved house and is awaiting internet to be hooked up at home.
                          As an example of the high quality of customer service in NZ ISP circles - he is still waiting........

Comment

No rush guys, Kiwallabok has gone on holiday for 2 weeks........

Let's hope his friend gets the hang of posting by the time he gets back.........

Comment

Hi all,

Sorry for the late arrival, and keen to play.

Agree with earlier comments regarding Pangaea or New World being good options, and perhaps a quick turn speed.

Cheers,
                              Nick/Nugog's mate

btw: Having spoken to 12 people at Telstra over the course of 3 weeks I am assured ADSL will be enabled this weekend I've got dial up in the meantime - man I forgot how slow dial up is!!

Comment

Working...
                              X