No announcement yet.

Aegean Team Game: Thread #2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, I mean your prat attacking the archer.

You have a habit of logging in multiple times to play. You log in make some moves, then you log out (ending turn or not), then you log back in before the turn has ended for everyone and make more moves.

For the even in question you made moves, then logged out, then came back hours later and moved the prat next to the archer. It just so happend when you logged in the last time is was very near to when the new turn was starting.(In fact, I think you were the last to play simply because you waited to end your turn so that you would be the first to play the next turn>) And that sir is when you atacked the archer.

When I move a unit and then you move your unit twice before I move mine again...that is called a "double" move no matter how one calls it.

I explained above how you have managed to do it. You seem to think that if you make moves, log out, wait for other to make moves, log back in make another move, end turn and then make another move, that it is the way to play.

Comment

I don't recall it exactly two turns ago, but I thought the archer had been moved there after my praet was stationed on its spot. But if it went as you described, it indeed was a double move. You, Sir, can consider me even now on MrBig's double-move attack on my stack last week.

I have a habbit of logging in multiple times, that's true. What's wrong with that? Usually all the units I want to move have been moved on my first login.
      He who knows others is wise.
      He who knows himself is enlightened.
      -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Originally posted by GeoModder
        I don't recall it exactly two turns ago, but I thought the archer had been moved there after my praet was stationed on its spot. But if it went as you described, it indeed was a double move. You, Sir, can consider me even now on MrBig's double-move attack on my stack last week.
        No, the archer I moved had only 2 Catapults next to it in the jungle. The Prat came in afterwards.

Originally posted by GeoModder
        I have a habbit of logging in multiple times, that's true. What's wrong with that? Usually all the units I want to move have been moved on my first login.
        It's that part, right there, that causes the problem.

BTW, it was mrboo123 that was playing his Civ at the time you declared he made a "double move."

If you want to call it "even" now, fine.

No more double moves now shall we?

Comment

I'm having a deja vu

:crazy:
          Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici

Comment

Double moves happen sometimes, there's no real way to avoid them unless both players regularly log in. Even if you play your turn consistently at the same exact time every day, the other player may occasionally not be able to do the same, and that will inevitably cause a double move. It's just not a big deal, unless one player is intentionally abusing them (with surprise attacks). You have to accept them as a fact, and try your best not to abuse it ... I think we're all adults here (or close enough...) and are able to try our best to not double move.

Geo's concern with mrBoo (and mine) was not the double move - it was one unit, big deal - but to make sure we were following that rule here, and that everyone was aware of it, as we have several players in this game that are new or relatively new to PTBS. If the double move doesn't involve a massive stack dying or a city falling, I don't see how it is relevant, or how any player can be expected to remember 100% of the time exactly when he moved his last unit, especially when civstats isn't always up (either server or client side).
            <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
            I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Regarding logging in multiple times; you have to think of ptbs as an extension of MP (as it is intended to be). There's nothing wrong with reacting to your opponents moves in a PTBS games during the turn - it's part of the game, it is part and parcel with 'simultaneous turns'. As long as you're trying to avoid moving the same unit twice in the same 8 hour span, there is nothing wrong with it.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
                Regarding logging in multiple times; you have to think of ptbs as an extension of MP (as it is intended to be). There's nothing wrong with reacting to your opponents moves in a PTBS games during the turn - it's part of the game, it is part and parcel with 'simultaneous turns'. As long as you're trying to avoid moving the same unit twice in the same 8 hour span, there is nothing wrong with it.
                In your opinion, not mine.

If I think my opponent has made their moves but it turns out they only made "some" of their moves and then come back later to make moves based upon what I did, in the same turn, under the guise of having made their moves, is wrong, to me.

This is not simultaneous turns. The system you talk of using here would benefit those that can log in the most or those that can log in and just sit there waiting for things to happen.

For the most part, I agree with what you said in your post above the one I just quoted.

Comment

Originally posted by BigFree
                  If I think my opponent has made their moves but it turns out they only made "some" of their moves and then come back later to make moves based upon what I did, in the same turn, under the guise of having made their moves, is wrong, to me.
                  In any case, and in my 'defense', I can also say that the Praet in question was already stationed in the general area from at least the previous turn. It was one of a couple units that needed to heal.
                  -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

PTBS run as simul turns is simultaneous turns ... that is just what it is. It is simply not a sequential turn system. There is an advantage to logging in several times, just as there is an advantage to micromanaging more carefully, or to emailing people more often. People who spend more time on the game, will do better, on average ... that's just how it is.

If you want to suggest banning multiple log ins, then do so - but I won't play a game like that for one, as it harshly penalizes people who want to check how things are going periodically. As I said, I almost never log in twice being a fairly busy person myself; but I don't blame vondrack, Geo, or any of the other folk who do. Why should putting effort into the game be penalized???

Comment

• I would generally agree by the way that you should end your turn after you have made your "main" moves. If you log in and make a few moves, but are leaving your primary moves until later - either to avoid double moving or simply to delay your action until you have seen your opponent's moves - then you can and should end your turn at the later point; but if you have made those moves you would make without your opponent reacting, you should end your turn (as it both slows the game down, and has the appearance of trying to control the turn rate even if that is not the intent). I do think that is hard to define in official rules though, so it is just an 'honor system' type rule.

Comment

• Logging in multiple time to check to see what is going on is not a problem. But, doing so multiple times per turn in order to make moves to counter an opponents movement is. It penalizes those that can't check in as much.

I guess what I'm saying is that if you make any moves within a turn, you should, for the most part, make all of them at once. You should not present the appearance that your units have moved/stayed put in a given turn when in fact they have not. Play fair.

I'm good with the honor system.

We all want to win. Let's just do so by the merits of our gameplay not by tricky moves shall we?

Comment

• Originally posted by BigFree
                          We all want to win.
                          I don't want to win.

but...

I want everybody else to lose!
                          Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici

Comment

• I'll do my best prov.

Comment

• New turn is up.
                              See you guys next week, I'm on vacation. (Snoopy's supposed to take care of my civ )
                              -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

• Originally posted by BigFree
                                Logging in multiple time to check to see what is going on is not a problem. But, doing so multiple times per turn in order to make moves to counter an opponents movement is. It penalizes those that can't check in as much.

I guess what I'm saying is that if you make any moves within a turn, you should, for the most part, make all of them at once. You should not present the appearance that your units have moved/stayed put in a given turn when in fact they have not. Play fair.
                                That's not against the rules, however, and is completely acceptable. You always penalize those that don't put as much effort into the game compared to those who do; and that is not an unreasonable thing, in my opinion...

There is no "implication" that your units are staying put, and if I move my units, then you attack me, if I notice I probably will log in and move in response. That's part of the game. This is not sequential turns.

Comment

Working...
                                X