Back and looking for a PBEM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back and looking for a PBEM

Hey everyone...I'm back after almost a two year absence from Poly. I was in grad school getting my masters in technology management. So, being in school for 8 hours on Saturday with team meetings during the week and doing homework on Sundays really made any hobby impossible. This degree program was great because it didn't interfere with my job. Now I have my degree and some of my time back.

However, my increase in IT knowledge has come at a price of Civilization knowledge. I literally have not played a single game in very long time. I've regressed to beginner due to never playing a PBEM with cIV.

I'm looking to join and/or start up a PBEM. However, I remember some attributes of PBEMs that I found less than desirable.

1. Players who just "disappear" leaving everyone else hanging...
    2. Players who are constantly late playing their turns...
    3. Players who interpret rules and fair play with an extremely biased, self-serving point of view

So...looking for a FRIENDLY game with folks that share my outlook on PBEMs.
    Haven't been here for ages....

Wow. Has this site died? I remember much more activity, users, threads, etc. Only 5 reads of this posting in about 24 hours...

What's going on here? Has this much changed in Apolyton in just 18-24 months? What did I miss?

Comment

People have, in general, switched to pitboss. (Pitboss takes care of at least 2 of your gripes btw)

That, and Civ4:Colonization is due.
      He who knows others is wise.
      He who knows himself is enlightened.
      -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Well yes it has slowed down. There are few new games starting up, though I have to say I am in a fast moving Pbem game: Middleton's Advance.

A lot of games go the Pitboss route.

But the point you make and reflected in new CIV game start ups is well made.

btw I am still relatively new to CIV so I am up for a new game.

Oh and it is also a Saturday.
        On the ISDG 2012 team at the heart of CiviLIZation

Comment

wow....dare I say this? What is pitboss? I guess I'll read the cIV manual and try to figure that out...I'm assuming its the multiplayer feature of cIV. Thanks.

Its a bit disappointing to see Poly fade away...

Comment

Pitboss is all the advantages of PBEM with a set timeframe (decided by the players) on when a new turn begins.
            Basically, its a server with a civ4 game on it where the game is open for everyone with the correct password (if enabled) and the correct password for each of the civs (also if enabled, but that's almost a must ). When the timer expires, a new turn begins whether all the participants have played their turn or not.
            The only downtime is when the server's computer is down for whatever reason, so its imperative to have a relyable one for a smooth game.

O yes, and usually it runs simultaneously, so if two players happen to be online at the same moment they can do their moves at the same time.
            He who knows others is wise.
            He who knows himself is enlightened.
            -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Originally posted by Shogun Gunner
              wow....dare I say this? What is pitboss? I guess I'll read the cIV manual and try to figure that out...I'm assuming its the multiplayer feature of cIV. Thanks.

Pitboss rules - but pbem still lives.

And Poly ain't going anywhere.

And great to see you Shogun!!!!

I will gladly join in a new pbem game with you. And I am sure we can twist a few other arms. Hercules? Wittlich? Rhothaerill? (ooops. He's still a weenie.)

But if you want to run a pitboss game, you will probably find considerable interest, and sufficient support to host the game. If you are going to host - the first question is whether you are Ok to have your PC on 24/7.

And last question. Wanna be a Templar, and kill rabbits?? (hint hint - the answer is yes.)
              Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war .... aw, forget that nonsense. Beer, please.

Comment

Welcome back into the fold Shogun!
                "One day if I do go to heaven, I'm going to do what every San Franciscan does who goes to heaven - I'll look around and say, 'It ain't bad, but it ain't San Francisco.'" - Herb Caen, 1996
                "If God, as they say, is homophobic, I wouldn't worship that God." - Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

Originally posted by Shogun Gunner

The only one fading here is you, Shogun.

Do you want to start a new pbem game? Say 4 players. 5 max.
                  Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war .... aw, forget that nonsense. Beer, please.

Comment

Shogun,
                    Saw your post; I have been away from gaming for a number of years myself, and I too am trying to get back into Civ4. I've never played it multiplayer, but I would like to try, be it PBEM, Pitboss, or whatever variety is in favor these days. I'd have to rank myself as a novice again, given the time that has passed.

I could commit to something that involved one or two turns a day. If you can find a few people who are in a similar boat, maybe we can get a game started?

Please post or private message me if you know of any games starting up that fit the bill.

I'm playing (vanilla) Civ 4 with the 1.74 patch. May be willing to upgrade to BtS if enough people want to get a game going.

--Skyrider

Comment

Hi Skyrider. If Shogun doesn't show up soon, we may start the game without him.

And most are playing BTS now, but I am easy and can play any version folks want.

Comment

Originally posted by Beta
                        And last question. Wanna be a Templar, and kill rabbits?? (hint hint - the answer is yes.)

I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

But..................... I could be interested - depending on settings.
                          I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

I echo Nugog's sentiments about another PBEM........
                            Let your every day be full of joy, love the child that holds your hand, let your wife delight in your embrace, for these alone are the concerns of humanity.
                            The BtS Pitboss Team Democracy Game has just started!!!
                            Come and test your metal in the Apolyton Civ4 Beyond the Sword Tri-League Tournament
                            Tohunga o kairākau of Southern Cross in the Warlords Pitboss Team Democracy Game, and Member of the Great Council and Curator of The Khan's Compendium for The Horde in the Civ4 Team Democracy Game

Comment

Ok - so that would be:

Geo
                              Hercules
                              Wittlich
                              Skyrider68
                              Beta
                              Nugog
                              Rob

Which is probably too many for a pbem game? Is everyone still interested?

How about a regular or large size stringy pangaea type of map?

And how about - for a twist - we cannot choose civs that have either financial or industrious as a trait - those being recognized in some circles as the two strongest traits.

Or - along the same lines, we pick civs for each other. The old "Misfits" theme, where you assign your randomly picked opponent with what you think is a weak civ.

Comment

Working...
                              X