Teach me!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sir Ralph
    Speaking of "teaching", Alex, should we invite DaveMcW?
    I am just finishing my first pitboss game. It was fun, but it's sucking up too much of my time. (An hour a day to manage an empire spanning 1/4 of a large map.)

I think you guys will be fine "teachers", good luck!

Comment

Btw.. while I remember...

Something that come up in Pitboss threads from time to time is if you should be allowed to declare war the turn you meet another player or not...
      Theoretically a player could get beaten out of the game before having a chance to build a defender if another player starts nearby and explores with starting warrior and finds an undefended capital (or defended by a starting scout)

This happened in the 32 player pitboss game, where there also was discussion if the attacked player should be allowed to do a double move and get his starting warrior back into the capital before the attacker could raze the undefended town.

Should decide in advance if there should be a time limit on when you can declare war or not, and if double moves is allowed or not..

Comment

I can't for the love of god enter GamySpy. I have 2 accounts, reset the passwords of both (since I don't remember), logged in with the new ones, but it won't proceed after the login screen.

Can't we do that via direct IP connection?

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
          Alex, I of course get the version mismatch error due to modded files. Is it enough to merely have the original files in Assets, or must I also remove all extra files from the folders - backups, txt notes to myself, etc? Finding the unmodded versions is getting a bit tricky .
          The checksums are done on all the files in the assets dir (except on some files that is explisitly excluded I think.. those containing texts and graphics).
          So any backup files, text files and so on you have in the assets dir has to be moved out too

Comment

Scratch that, I created 2 more accounts and now it works. Alex - that must be a bug. On the official site www.gamespyid.com created accounts don't work. They just fail without notice, the game does nothing. Now I created one through the game itself (my usual nicks were of course all taken now, sorry for the silly one) and that works.

Comment

Originally posted by Gyathaar

The checksums are done on all the files in the assets dir (except on some files that is explisitly excluded I think.. those containing texts and graphics).
              So any backup files, text files and so on you have in the assets dir has to be moved out too
              Great... okay, I'll try moving all my crap out and reinstalling 2.00 and then 2.08 on top of it.
              Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
              I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Hey Sir Ralph, did you retire by mistake? Why did the AI take over your slot?

Comment

Well that is a bit counterintuitive. I just played my turn, and it wasn't immediately obvious what's the proper thing to do after ending it...

Comment

Also, where do I set my email?

Comment

Solver, you still have some mismatch with your XML/Python. Can you make sure to play with the default files so we don't go out of sync?

You set your e-mail by pressing escape and choosing "Your details".

Comment

I cannot connect to the host.
                        Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
                        Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Keep trying, it happened to me once too, but then I connected without changing anything.

Comment

Originally posted by alexman
                            Solver, you still have some mismatch with your XML/Python. Can you make sure to play with the default files so we don't go out of sync?

You set your e-mail by pressing escape and choosing "Your details".
                            Bah, Python matters too? I'm pretty sure I just replaced all the XML with the default files. At least I took the XML folder from v200, extracted the v208 XML on top of it, so that should give me clean XML. I'll see about Python (original files are a bit hard to find).

I hope I can merely reconnect to the game to see if it sees my version as okay...

Comment

Okay, looks like I fixed the problem.

More AIs seem to be appearing :hmm:. When I played my turn 45 minutes ago, I noticed Peter, now there's Victoria, Ragnar and Brennus. Am I hallucinating?

EDIT: Victoria gone, Tass joined as I wrote this.

Comment

And speaking of connection, will we be joining through the GS lobby all the time, or will a direct IP be provided?

Comment

Working...
                                X