No announcement yet.

Teach me!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Err, i can't read euro dates, this is a month old. We still doing this?
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Well, the patch came out only last week.
      So I guess first the interested ones must be gathered again.
      He who knows others is wise.
      He who knows himself is enlightened.
      -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Let the gathering commence.

Comment

Still in

Shall we set a 6-player max? From Civ3 experience, more than 6 players per game results in a dead game pretty fast.

Alternatively, we could try a simultaneous-move pitboss game with more players than 6. These go faster.

Comment

A pitboss game sounds great, except who will host? It's quite a big effort for the person who hosts. Their computer has to be on constantly and that is often difficult from what I've experienced.

I'd be more inclined to stick with who we have and get the game started as a normal PBEM. But I'm easy with whatever is decided.

Comment

I'm also still interested. Have only one other game running, there's certainly a lot of capacity left.

I'm unsure about pitboss. To be honest, I don't even know exactly what that is.

Comment

Originally posted by Andydog
                A pitboss game sounds great, except who will host? It's quite a big effort for the person who hosts. Their computer has to be on constantly and that is often difficult from what I've experienced.

I'd be more inclined to stick with who we have and get the game started as a normal PBEM. But I'm easy with whatever is decided.
                Too bad we don't know anyone who works at a company that has a few of those always-on computers, and is somewhat likely to be okay with a civ game running from one of them ...

If that's not an option, I can host; my computer is nearly always connected, excepting for a few minutes occasionally when the wireless LAN decides to jump ship.

Comment

Sir Ralph, Pitboss just means that you can play a game that:

1. Has a turn pass once per day
                  2. Allows each player to log in at any point in the day and play a turn.
                  3. Runs smoothly with no delays from people forgetting to play their turn.
                  4. Allows you to set up multiple moves ahead of time such that you can skip a few turns if you want and still have the turn process as you want it to.

You connect to it as a Multiplayer game, connecting to the DirectIP address of the PTBS server, or through Gamespy (preferably not GS... groan ..) Then you play your turn, and ... there you go.

Simul turns are fine as long as it's not an overly competitive game such that people will race to be first to log on at the turnover point to get their move in first ...

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
                    Too bad we don't know anyone who works at a company that has a few of those always-on computers, and is somewhat likely to be okay with a civ game running from one of them ...
                    Sure, I can host a pitboss game if that's what we would like to do.

Comment

Hmm, on second thought I used the wrong smiley in that post.

Looks much better with .

Anyway, I vote PTBS

Comment

OK, so how about a Pangaea toroidal map, normal speed?

Pick your leaders in the next 48 hours.
                        If there are more than 6 of us by then, let's turn it into a Pitboss game.

Comment

Toroidal but

I'll take ... Mansa Musa

Comment

I'll take Augustus.

Alex, if hosting a pitboss game is no problem, I'd suggest going with that no matter how many players we get. In addition to the benefits that Snoopy lists above, pitboss also allows rapid fire sessions should everyone be around at the same time. This can knock weeks even months of a game.

Comment

Shaka for me.

We can certainly have a pitboss game for fewer than 6, but in that case I think it should at least be sequential turns, which is a lot more like PBEM.

Comment

I'll take my choice this evening. I don't yet know the trait combinations in Warlords (and even their benefits) without seeing the game. We're playing Warlords, right? I wouldn't like to switch DVDs all the time.

Given snoopy369's description, I'm all for a pitboss game, sequential or simultaneous don't matter.

Comment

Working...
                                X