Teach me!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Beta

Sounds good! Lets give it a try. If you set it up the same way as Alex did, but except for just the two of us, we should be able to isolate if the issue is at my end.
    Well apparently I missed your posting here ... I'll be on Wednesday night can try to test then ...
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

• Hey snoopy, you still have some different files on your machine. Better try to resolve this because if they actually affect gameplay it will eventually make the game go out of sync.

Edit: Blake, you too, but only sometimes.

Comment

• Hey guys, I accidentally shut the server down as I was trying to mess with the e-mail notification settings.

I loaded the autosave, so if you played your turn already, please play it again.

Comment

• I have now uninstalled Civ4 vanilla, reinstalled; uninstalled Civ4 Warlords, deleted all folders with any affect on gameplay, reinstalled ... and STILL have different version than you.

I think it must be the Direct2Drive perhaps? Since the EXE will be a different size than the box retail version?
          <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
          I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

• Originally posted by alexman
            Hey guys, I accidentally shut the server down as I was trying to mess with the e-mail notification settings.

I loaded the autosave, so if you played your turn already, please play it again.
            *grumble*

Maybe it's at least Direct-IP connectable now?
            Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
            I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

• Anything else has to be better than this. 12 attempts to connect: all timed out. No one else was in the game. Tried it several times with firewall down.

I don't recall the requirements on the side of the box mentioning a degree in network engineering.
              Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war .... aw, forget that nonsense. Beer, please.

Comment

• I wonder if the connection failed to server attempts are if the pitboss server is in a sleep state from inactivity when the connection attempt is made

Comment

• No, that shouldn't be the case.

I connect instantly with 100% success from home, but on the slower network connection of my laptop I sometimes get timeouts. Direct IP is unlikely to make any difference there.

As for the modified assets, the actual executable is not checksummed so it does not affect things as long as it's the proper version. All other assets (XML, python, dll, shaders) are checksummed though.

Comment

• This game is going to take a year or two
                    Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
                    Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

• Originally posted by alexman
                      No, that shouldn't be the case.

I connect instantly with 100% success from home, but on the slower network connection of my laptop I sometimes get timeouts. Direct IP is unlikely to make any difference there.
                      It's something completely unpredictable. I will sometimes connect on the first try, sometimes need like five or six attempts to get in (with nobody in - I do not believe the 'cannot connect to the host' timeout has to do anything with other players being connected, 'cannot connect to a peer' timeout does).

I have noticed that if I am to get in, it usually happens quite quickly, within the first 2-3 three "laps" of the progress gauge. If three laps pass and I do not get in, I "Go Back" and retry from the lobby, often getting in smoothly on the second (or third) attempt.

Alex, methinks setting the game up as a DirectIP might at least help us determine whether it's GameSpy being the problem.

Gotta agree that it's a real pain at its current state...

Comment

• Am I the only one without any problems?

Comment

• Are you always able to connect immediately?

I am always eventually able to connect, but it rarely works on the very first try.

Comment

• for me it has varied on what turn..
                            during turn 0 it often took me 5-10 tried to get in...
                            during turn 1 I always got in at first attempt
                            since then it has always been one failed connect and then connected on 2nd try

Comment

• Originally posted by vondrack
                              Are you always able to connect immediately?

I am always eventually able to connect, but it rarely works on the very first try.
                              I had a few problems logging in at first, but the reason was, that I had made new accounts and changed passwords of old ones, and the Gamespy database seems to need a few minutes to synchronize. So you apparently can't sign up and log in right away.

Since then, I had only one single failure to log in, and that was when pitboss was down. All other tries succeeded within a few seconds.

Comment

• I have just tried to connect to see if I can spot any pattern... I let the connection time out four times - and finally connected on the fifth try. This would be a pretty poor result under my "standards"... it seems that if I back out of a connection attempt that doesn't work within the first three runs of the progress meter, I will get in faster than if always letting the process reach the timeout message.

Bruce, try connecting and if you do not connect "fast" (say, first 2-3 runs of the progress meter), click on "Go Back" (lower left corner) and immediately retry from the lobby.

This helps me - perhaps it might help you, too?

Comment

Working...
                                X