Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our deepest regrets and sympathies to the Americans. We, the Russians know what means to lose a beloved ruler and how hard it feels.

Now is the time for you to be strong and carefully find the way forward.

Comment

Semaphore Tower Petit Bois

Corporal Lajoie had been stationed at the Petit Bois semaphore station for the last 14 months. It was a link in the Pointe Normande to Paris semaphore route. Messaging had been steady, but fairly mundane and routine in nature since he had arrived. It was actually a fairly lonely, out of the way place to be stationed. His shift was almost over when he heard the gun from the Pointe de la Baleine tower, almost 4 miles away. He called for Private Lapense, the signaler. He would be busy soon.

Corporal Lajoie grabbed his board and and telescope, and when the arms of the semaphore started through their dance, he interpreted it quickly. He was very good at his job.

The "Urgent" heading was new, and piqued his interest. He got further excited when the message continued ..."Large English Fleet off Pointe Normand." He almost dropped his scribing board when he intepreted ...'15 SOTL, 3 Frigates, 7 Galleons'.

"Merde! Damn Anglais!" he muttered as he spat over the edge of the parapet.

Lajoie could only imagine how this message was going to be received in Paris. But he could not waste time thinking about that. That was for someone much, much higher in rank to worry about.

As soon as the message concluded, he fired his own signal gun, and he and Private Lapense prepared the arms for transmission.
      Last edited by France (DoE); May 16, 2011, 19:06.

Comment

Private Lapatu had been stationed at Kassito point for the last 14 years. He looked through his telescope at the semaphore, dancing in the distance. He laboriously pieced the movements together. It took him a few minutes to interpret:

"I like chocolate cookies. Watch out for sharks! I saw a penguin yesterday."

A minute passed as he stared blankly into the patchy, autumn sky.
        Suddenly, he snapped to. "****, damn penguins!" he screamed, and he jumped over the parapet.

Private Chunala could only imagine how his life could be any more meaningless as he watched Lapatu splatter on the rocks below.

He solemnly fired his signal gun, so that HQ would know yet another scout had gone crazy and "jumped ship". He prepared tea for his afternoon siesta. "Well, at least we now have some pikemen to help ward off the wandering bears..." he muttered as he sipped in what little whisps of warmth existed in his life. The other men around him nodded slowly in agreement as they sipped their tea in silence.

The sun sank further and the pale white cast of the land slowly bronzed, then returned, the forge spent, into a deep ashen gray as darkness settled.

A faint bout of steam escaped his mouth and dispersed in the frigid air: "Damn penguins," Chunala whispered to the moon as he fell asleep.

Comment

The Daily Turkey

Editorial Section, by Raul
          An Inteview with the Leader of Accolytes

On Location in North America:

I must admit that I was baffled at what could have possibly persuaded loyal Turks to renounce their obedience to the Sultan, steal a Galleon, sail halfway round the world, to these frozen wastes, found a village, then re-swear allegiance to a new Sultan. Some said it was religious fanatacism, and faith in the teachings of the Inventor-Brahman, but that seemed unbelievable to me.

So I set out to meet the Accolytes and investigate. And I met their leader, the lovely, alluring Irina. It was cold, but the vision of her in her furs was enough to make the coldest North American night warm...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Christmas_girls_Photo_20998585.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	9090395

I asked her why they did it... why she did it?... And she replied:

"The blessed Inventor-Brahman discovered the way for Turks to travel over vast Oceans... and he teaches us that we must escape the fires of Europe. We must escape and abandon the path of Empires. We must escape the age-old conflict with the Israelis. We cannot escape unless we leave. So we have left. The blessed Inventor Brahman wrote that religion was the damnation of man. He said that we should abandon the preference of one religion over another."

I asked... "But I thought the Inventor-Brahman was Hindu?"

She replied... "He was, but you must understand, he was Jewish once then Christian, then finally Hindu. He practiced all the religions at one time or another, which gave him his unique perspective on the folly of choosing one over the other. He taught us that the future was a freedom from adherence to one religion... The new Sultan understands this, and this is why he has embraced the ways of enlightenment, peace and scientific advancement... This is why we support him and give our alleigance to him..."

It was a fascinating interview, and I found myself nodding and saying "Uh-huh" alot. She was mezmerizing... Then it all made sense to me. Who could resist her charms? Like a siren she led her followers to the new land with her song, and her musings of the promises of the Inventor-Brahman... of an existence, free from the troubles of Europe, peaceful and free from war.

Who knows where this new pseudo-Queen will lead her followers? I talked to a man who seemed to be the Captain of her personal bodyguards, a gruff old Janissary who called himself 'Mogul the Intrepid' He was quite stalwart in his support of Irina and told me... "Irina is the voice of the Inventor-Brahman. Our love for her and our faith in his teachings brings us to these frozen shores. I will die to protect her, and so will my men."

Part 2 of this incredible interview in the next issue of The Daily Turkey...
          Last edited by Ottoman Empire (DoE); May 17, 2011, 11:07.
          Mexico Emerges as a New Player on the International Stage - Mexico City Times

Comment

2 days ago at the highest level of the Indian Civil Service.

Lord Eneriko, the situation is dire! The populace of Delhi and Calicut is now so crowded that we can not feed the whole city, people are starving! Furthermore, there is a general displeasure with some of the policies. The costs of especially the bureaucracy and the upholding of official pomp for religious ceremonies has thrown us into a deficit. Furthermore, there is general unrest in many cities, people are on the brink of protesting. Adding insult to injury, the Chinese are arming, we are counting an increase in their cannon production, the Beijing foundries are running day and night as the empire has commissioned near 100 years worth of cannon production. Though they claim peaceful intentions, their military buildup says otherwise. Furthermore the Japanese have used the ships we lent them to invade English territory and continue to use them for such warlike purposes. Though we support their claim to these territories we did not allow them to use our ships in open war. We have requested their return, but received no official answer yet. My Lord, we must do something! You are practically in charge here as Plato has done nothing for the last 50 years aside from meditate. What should the power of the Indian Civil Service do to best serve our nation?

Eneriko Farmiaya looked over the pile of reports and shuddered at the thought of having to read through them for 15 hours as he had done the last two days. The Bureaucracy was simply so vast and productive that it was becoming impossible for one man to control it all. Looking up he stared into the expectant shiny eyes of the Supreme Inspector and said with a mild and venerable voice:

Reform. The Bureaucracy must reform. Give me two days to draw up a new set of laws for our country and we will then implement radical changes that will shake out the rust in the machine.

Comment

Declaration of Indian Unity and Nationhood

India is an eternal and divine creation upheld by the people that so graciously inhabit it. However, its laws are man made and as such may and should be changed when India changes. Centuries ago our people were few and widely spread. Today we are numerous and live closely spaced throughout our entire subcontinent. As a result people in the inner cities have been locked into poverty by ancient caste laws that functioned well when we were few, but function poorly now that we are many. The thronging masses in Delhi and Calicut have no opportunity to work, no chance to change their situation and no way to feed themselves. At the same time the Bureaucracy has expanded to include the meticulous details of every tradition and religious practice that exists in the land, their every law, their every command and prohibition. This is a vast drain on the nation's coffers. It is time to change these dividing laws and create for India one law, a law for the Nation, a unifying law.

The following is now official policy:
              -All Indians are Indians first and anything else second. An Indian is a man, woman or child that accepts the laws of India as they are at any time written. As such, religious activity is solely the responsibility of individuals and communities. The Indian Civil Service shall no longer deal with religious affairs.

-Any young man who does not have a profession shall serve the state by military service to ensure the safety of his city and his nation.

-India is a pacifist nation and as such shall not start wars.

-The Caste System is hereby abolished, any person who acts according to the abolished laws of Caste shall be sentenced to 10 years in servitude to his city.

-India is a holy Unity indivisible.

Comment

Aztec Ball Game

The Aztec ball game was actually a revision of an ancient Mesoamerican game that was played by many peoples including the Mayans. It may have originated with the ancient Olmec civilization. It became a very important part of the Aztec Empire, not just as entertainment, but for political and religious reasons as well.

When Aztecs start a new settlement, there were two things they do. First, build a shrine to the god Huitzilopochtli, and then build a ball court next to it. In Tenochtitlan it is surrounded by the palace and temple. The Aztec ball game, known as ullamaliztli, is a priority.

The Aztec ball court
                The Aztec ball game had a distinctive court known as the tlachtli or tlachco. The ball court was usually in the shape of an I, although there were some variations. Around the court was a slope, surrounded at the outer edge by walls about 8-11 feet high. The court was usually between 100 and 200 feet long, with a centre line, and six markers along the sloping walls. At centre court against the walls were two stone-carved rings, roughly 35 inches in diameter, often ornately carved in the form of an animal.

Surrounding the court were areas for spectators, nobles and judges. The structure would often include skull racks (tzompantli). These had a base with upright wood posts. Bars ran from post to post, adorned with the skulls of sacrifice victims. Sometimes the walls would show reliefs of the winners and losers of the past.

Equipment
                The ball, or ulli, was made of hard rubber and weighed about 9 pounds. Due to the rough surface of the court itself, protective gear was worn by the players. Players wore deerskin guards for the chin, hip, thigh, hands, and cheeks. Even with this protection, players would end the game bruised and bleeding, since they often had to throw themselves to the ground.

The play
                The teams would face each other on the court. The object in the end was to get the ball through the stone hoop. This was extremely difficult, and so if it actually happened the game would be over. In fact, according to historian Manuel Aguilar-Morenao, some courts didn't even have rings. Another important rule was that the ball was never allowed to touch the ground. Players couldn't hold or even touch the ball with their hands - only the elbows, knees, hips and head were used. As you may imagine, this made for a very fast paced game, and the players had to constantly throw themselves against the surface of the court to keep the ball from landing. The players were skillful, and the ball could stay in the air for an hour or more.

Because it was so hard to get the ball through the hoops, there were other objects as well. Players could hit one of the six markers along the sides of the court. Or, they would be given points for other skillful plays. Fouls were also given if the players couldn't get the ball across the centre line, or if they touched the ball with the wrong part of the body, such as the hand or calf.

During the Aztec ball game, gambling was common among the spectators. Gambling reached high levels in the Aztec empire. Just about anything could be gambled, from ornate feathers to land to children. It was common for a person to actually sell themselves into slavery in order to pay off the debt. This was voluntary slavery, with some parallels to the way someone today would work at a job he or she doesn't like for years just to pay off a debt.

Politics
                With city-states and tribes playing against one another, it's not surprising that the Aztec ball game took on political significance. A win or a loss was very much taken to heart. Attimes, the game would turn into an excuse for an assassination or attack. The game might also be used to settle differences between two parties.

Huge wagers might be made by kings as well. A story is told of two kings, one wagering a garden, another wagering a marketplace. The marketplace was lost, but the winning king was assassinated when a contingency from the loser congratulated him. They gave him a garland, with a leather strangling cord hidden inside.

Religion
                The Aztec ball game had a lot of ritual significance. It was mean to mirror the ball court of the heavens, this being the ball court of the underworld where the sun passed each night. The game represented the battle between day and night.

Comment

Prince Xochipilli has come of age.

Eleborate festivities have have held in honour of the coming of age of our royal highness Prince Xochipilli. Xochi, as he is affectionately known by his friends, has to prove himself during a 3 day initiation rite known as Aztlimaztli. The last day of the Aztlimaztli games will be conducted at the Royal Ball Court.

Xochi dancing the Warriors dance at the opening of the Aztlimaztli festival.

Comment

Negus adopted ras Imru in their private chambers: Stand up old buddy, "he told the general." I called you here because I want to entrust your most important mission that I have commanded you ever want after my ascension to heaven to go by the management of Mali and to finish it from me "" But master, well, your son Menelik "He must be Remove because He is stupid and can be used by enemies of Mali, so that your envelope with instructions on how to received after my incarnation now go going I to pray to Almighty God to forgive my sins ". Ras Imru bowed and left.
                    Negus Nagast Musa knelt and prayed.

Comment

Border Patrol on the border between Mali and Israel saw a group of musketeers, who moved among the hills. The driver of the patrol gave the necessary orders and his men surrounded the small group. "Stay," he cried. Musketeers stood confused.
                      "Who are you and why you are trying to enter Mali."
                      One of the offenders stepped forward. "We are mercenaries and come to offer his services to the Great Negus before we were part of the Israeli army, but now there is peace between them and the Turks and ceased to pay us so we come to serve Mali."
                      "Hand over your weapon and I will bring you to the nearest town and there my boss will decide whether to employ you," said the chief of the Border Patrol. Mercenaries are advised to brief each other and the same man said, "We agree" and left their muskets on the ground. Malian border guards gathered them and departed with the mercenaries of the city.

Mercenaries

Comment

The Sexxstanbul

Ayesecan snubbed by King Phillipe... Heartbroken

We have it on good authority that the reason Aysecan recently cut her hair again, is because her secret foreign crush snubbed her, called her a loose woman, and has turned away his affection for her, in favor of the lovely Irina, leader of the Accolytes. Unconfirmed sources, close to the Public Relations Minister have told the Sexxstanbul that Aysecan remarked "Compared to her, he dosent even know I exist."

Our rumor mill has it that the secret crush that Aysecan was growing her hair for was none other than King Phillipe himself! When questioned about this, Aysecan reportedly blushed and quickly said... "Hrmph! France has been the enemy of Turkey for years! How dare you insinuate that I was courting with the French King... How scandalous! Our nations have a tentative cease fire, and we don't even have Open Borders with each other. This scandal is just the type of thing that will continue to strain relations... this is the last thing I need!

As usual the representatives of Sultan Ahmed V refused to speak with us. Naval Advisor Suleiman's representatives said only that "Suleiman the Magnificent has no time for your tabloid lies."

We will keep you posted as this story develops...
                        Last edited by Ottoman Empire (DoE); May 25, 2011, 00:54.
                        Mexico Emerges as a New Player on the International Stage - Mexico City Times

Comment

French caravel and English frigate sighted in Aztec waters

From the Aztec shore our scouts inform us that ships from two warring states have been seen. A French caravel and an English frigate.

The Aztec consultate made the following statement:
                          "We Aztecs are strictly neutral in this conflict. In fact we have had good relations with both states for years now.
                          Therefore we expect both our English and our French friends to remain strictly neutral in Aztec waters.

But perhaps they have come for the last day of Aztlimaztli?"
                          Last edited by Aztecs (DoE); May 19, 2011, 15:37.

Comment

The Great Game
                            Aztec Sports brings you all the latest sports news and world sports updates, providing comprehensive coverage of sports in Mexico and worldwide.

The Aztec Wanderers underlined their world No1 status with a crushing win over the Mayan Kings in the opening round of the World Aztlimaztli Play Championship.

A run of six boinks and ten butts in the 4th hole set up a great victory for the Aztec Wanderers of Prince Xochi on the second day of Aztlimaztli at the Royal Ball Court. Teatatlacl, the worlds No2 bumber, made all the difference in this game. He alone was responsible for the 4 butts difference with the Mayan Kings.

Prince Xochi and his team did more than enough to hold their rivals at bay and put themselves on course for a Aztlimaztli title.

But tomorrow, last years champions the Tenochtitlan Bouncers with their captain Lelac Tlac await. “I would love to play Lelac Tlac,” Xochi said. “It’s more satisfying if you can take down the best player in the world.”’

Comment

Betting Tips
                              Aztec Sports brings you all the latest sports news and world sports updates, providing comprehensive coverage of sports in Mexico and worldwide.

Before the all-important last day of the Aztlimaztli tournament we urge our readers to bet sensibly. Keep the following rules of thumb in your mind.
                              We all know tragic stories about fathers losing their land, wives, daughters etc. So please be sensible.

Sports betting tip #1 - Money Management
                              This is without a doubt the most important aspect of betting sports and possibly the most neglected.
                              The first key to proper money management is to be sure not to bet more than you can afford to lose.

Sports betting tip #2 - Shopping for Numbers
                              The second most important aspect of betting on sports is shopping for the best number.
                              There will be more discrepancy in the numbers on different sports at different sports books.

Sports betting tip #3 - Never Gamble While under the Influence
                              Alcohol clouds your judgment and usually helps you to make rash decisions you usually wouldn't otherwise make.
                              To be a successful sports bettor you need to operate with a clear mind. If you have had too much to drink, it is in your best interest to stay away from the betting window.

Sports betting tip #4 - Do your Homework
                              As a bettor, you have the advantage of streamlining your research, which is something the sports books are not at liberty to do.

Sports betting tip #5 - Check the Odds
                              Some sports books have better odds on parlays and teasers. When you are betting big bucks the difference in odds translate into a huge difference in your payout.

Sports betting tip #6 - Play Home Dogs
                              There is probably no better bet in sports than playing an underdog at home. Teams play inspired ball at home.
                              Slim underdogs regularly win outright. Big underdogs often find ways to cover the spread and they rarely give up toward the end of a game in front of the home crowd.

Sports betting tip #7 - Bet at the Right Time
                              The sharp bettors tend to bet underdogs, and they tend to bet them early.
                              Last edited by Aztecs (DoE); May 19, 2011, 15:20.

Comment

The American provisional government thanks all those who have expressed their sympathies at the passing of our great president, George Washington. More on the coming elections will soon be announced.
                                So I go, and do what I can ~ Dwight 'Diplo' Eisenhower

Comment

Working...
                                X