This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fall of Plymouth

As the sun rose, Marshal Maray gave the signal. The catapult artillery advanced and fired on the defenders of Plymouth, a combined force of longbows and muskets. Had time allowed, a more careful siege would have been conducted. But time was of the essence as the general feared further English reinforcements. The musket men themselves had arrived just two days earlier. As the catapults fired on the archers defending the city with little effect, Marshal Maray feared this would be a costly day. His fears would come true.

The catapults did manage to do some damage, but the units were destroyed in the assault. They were followed by the 34h Royal Regiment and the 3rd Heavy Cavalry. Both units fought bravely and inflicted heavy casualties on the defenders. But very few of the attacking troops were left standing.

The 14th Royal Regiment advanced on the much weakened English muskets. They were confident that they would quickly end the battle.

Perhaps it was the superiority of the weaponry. Perhaps it was sheer desperation by the beleaguered defenders. Perhaps it was the whims of war. But the few remaining English muskets released volley after volley into the advancing macemen. A handful of the French troops reached the city defenses but were quickly finished off by the English.

On the heels of the 14th came the 11th Royal Regiment, veterans from Cadiz. They took losses, but following as closely as they were, they escaped teh worst of the English musketry fire. They breached the city defenses, and in the ensuing hand-to-hand fighting, subdued the stubborn English musket men.

The battle was nearly over. The Palace Guard Horsemen entered the city to round up the remaining English archers, and open the main gates to the city to the remainder of the French army.

The objective had been achieved, but the cost was very high. Marshal Maray looked out over the field scattered with French dead and wounded. He prayed this was not a bad omen for the future and wondered how and where this war would end.
    Last edited by France (DoE); March 29, 2011, 23:42.

Comment

Originally posted by Inca (DoE) View Post

On French Claims

...France, there is no justification for aggressive war, nor for aggressive dogpiling.

... your simple lies and half-truths will not persuade us.

....Your greed and sadism shine through the thin veils of "justification" and "security" you have tried to abruptly toss over the face of this war.

... You are but international muggers, bloody opportunists, now stealing bread from peasants of the English countryside to feed your villainous bands of thieves and murderers as they aim to steal yet more for King and Country.

.... as there is no inspiration in common thuggery.

.... So, you will make more poems of royal murder and royal lies, a people hopelessly obsessed with power and its machinations, in thrall to your barbaric royalty, unquestioning of its bloody and cruel nature, a nation crippled intellectually and scientifically by its military establishment, its purpose now clearly evident and on display for the world to see.
      "And, sire, what reply to we write to this, this diatribe of ... I am not sure what to call it."

The King chuckled. "I know Marc, it is very 'pointed', isn't it. If I was not aware of Incan history and affairs, I would almost think these are the ravings of a madman, or at least a person heavily influenced by narcotics. As was the case with the crew of that Incan fishing boat. What was its name again? And where did it finally end up anyway?"

Marc Renaud, Minister of Foreign Affairs replied "Somewhere in the med, Sire. Neandor is what we last heard."

"Amazing voyage though. You have to respect their seamanship and sense of adventure, even if their ruler is somewhat of a lunatic".

"So, Sire. Our reply? Our rebuttal?"

"Nothing Marc. Our friends know us well. As do our enemies. I don't think the Incan view is going to change much. Besides, we have a war to fight."

Comment

Originally posted by Inca (DoE) View Post
        "I've found your mouse, sir..."
        "Excellent! Give it to me at once, I must send these orders immediately."
        "Well, sir, there is a problem... it is dead, sir."
        King Phillipe took the several flights of stairs to descend deep into the chambers of the palace. There he met the head of French Security, Monsieur Robert Blanc.

Blanc: "Sire, good evening. What brings you down here."

King Phillipe: "Good evening Robert. I was just wondering how our ninja cat program was progressing."

Blanc: "Better than we expected, Sire. Here, let me explain......"

Last edited by France (DoE); March 29, 2011, 23:41.

Comment

Domain Unregistered.
          To view, register at:
          bit/ly/imageshack-domain

Comment

Neander prides it's international diplomatic reputation

Veneta steadies his forces as Europe plunges deeper...

OOC - what happened to the movie I posted here? It's a 20 sec YouTube clip.
            OK, Windows 64 bit IE does NOT have a Flash adin to support this... fyi
            Last edited by Germany (DoE); March 31, 2011, 21:19. Reason: Freaking Windows crap
            The question of whether modern humans and Neanderthals mated when they encountered each other 40,000 years ago is highly controversial.

Comment

"Here, sir, here is your new courier mouse," announced the emperor's assistant.

"What?! What is this, it is but a fraction of the size of my last mouse. There had better be a good reason for this..." the emperor replied with some annoyance.

The assistant, visibly distraught, said, "well, sir, it really was all they had. You said you wanted one with no tail, and those species are more expensive. And you said you didn't want to pay more than 25 incos for one, and, well, sir, this is the best we could do with those orders." He was shaking and in such a contorted bow that his ankles, knees, hips, chest, elbows, front of his head, and back of his head were all touching the floor while his ass did jut out quite profusely into the air.

"Ridiculous! My old mouse hadn't but cost 25 incos, and it was much larger and more capable," the emperor now yelling.

Rapidly, the assistant responded in alarming tones, "but, sir, look, this mouse you can quickly set how fast it will respond and make it do many complicated tricks by waving your hands. It is superior, and in time you will get used to its size. I am sorry, but we are not in Europe! It is quite difficult to obtain such niceties, as we have closed borders now with half of that continent, and another quarter of it lays in ruins." He began waving his hands about in the air as the small mouse performed amusing little tricks, happily running to and fro in well choreographed haste.

The emperor slowly stood up and bellowed, "this is not acceptable! Not at all! To the gallows with you!" The emperor pointed damningly at the assistant, his visage fixed in unimaginable hatred.

"The gallows? No, please, sir, anything but that!" the bow contorted itself into a sort of pretzeled pretzel shape and the outrageous form then somehow managed to move itself towards the emperor.

"No, the gallows!"

"But...

sir....

m, what are the gallows again, sir?" the assistan asked confusingly.

"The gallows! They are, of course...... I'm not quite sure. But, to them! Now!" the emperor would not be distracted from his pure hatred.

"You're not quite sure, sir?"

Pressed, however, he had to give way a bit. For a moment, his demeanor let up. "Well, I imagine they are quite nasty. Yes, quite nasty indeed, my ex-assistant." His angry visage returned, although somewhat half-heartedly now.

"Nasty, sir? Where are they exactly?"

"Well, um, they sound like they should be underground. Yes, quite deep underground, where the heat and humidity would be quite unbearable." The anger left again, now lost in a creative act.

"Oh dear, and what do they do there?" The assistant still quite heavily alarmed and contorted.

"I'm not sure, but some quite nasty, nasty things, you can bet." The emperoro said, paused, and added authoritatively, "I mean, gallows, sounds a bit like wallow doesn't it? Yep, it's going to be quite nasty, and you're going to spend a good amount of time doing that whole 'wallowing' thing, I'm sure." A self-congratulatory smile crept across his face.

"Oh dear..."

"Yes, and, hm, there will be willows as well." He added, positively.

"Oh, willows, sir? I do quite fancy willows..." The assistant picked up a bit, the pretzeled pretzel was in danger of becoming only a signle level of contortion now.

"Yes, willows, but... but, they will hang you from them upside down and bounce you up and down like this." The emperor added menacingly, bouncing a small pendant from a chain that lay around his neck.

"Oh no... well, actually... that kind of looks like a good bit of fun, sir." The pretzel was now just a typical sort, and the assistant was almost smiling.

"Well, yes, actually," his mood picking up, "it does look like a lot of fun." He was silent for a moment, lost in thought. "You know what, assistant," he said in a cheery mood, "I think I will join you there for a bit. I could use it right now, war in Europe and all. Will be like a spa treatment." The emperor relaxed quite visibly.

"Sir, I don't think it's really meant to be relaxing or spa-like," said the heretofore unmentionable new assistant.

"What? Rubbish. It will be quite relaxing, what with the warm, humid air, salty natural springs, and willow bouncing," replied He.

"Sir, there's... it's not quite like that."

"Well, we'll see about that. To the gallows! To the gallows with both of us!" Bellowed the king, and off he and his old assistant went.

Historians are still unsure of what happened to Makato Guachullo. For whatever reason, his reign ended after the sack of Plymouth, and the throne was soon taken up by a lowly assistant, a first in Inca history. The assistant was soon taken up by a pike and placed on the top of Mount Capaco. This is simply the very best guess of the field of Inca History in the acclaimed Atkins Academy in L'chulla. Some other historians, quite insecure over their field's general lack of credibility in the eyes of 'harder' fields of inquiry, have taken some issue with it, but no one quite cares what they think, being a bunch of buzzkills as they are.

Comment

News Bulletin...

Ottoman Science Initiative

Upon appointment as the Sultan of the Ottoman Turks, Ahmed IV announced that the Ottoman people would "Embark upon a new, unprecedented age of Scientific Discovery... No more would the Ottoman people be mired in the dark ages of ignorance and backwardness characteristic of the prior regime."

Sultan Ahmed began this initiative by immediately commisioning massive scientific initiatives, and recruiting as many citizens as possible into the program. Critics claim that the long hours and depression in the nations food production as a result of the program was causing starvation and a mass exodous of the populace, but reportedly, Sultan Ahmed has been pleased with the results, claiming... "Our Science Program has yielded promising results, including advances in international seafaring, Philisophical theory as well as advances in irrigation and Empire Management"...

Unrest returns to Turkey!!!

Demonstrations and calls for regime change have broken out all over the Empire. Conservatives demand a return to the old ways, and abandonment of the new scientific reforms. Additionally, supporters and Opponents of the War against France clash in the streets.

In other news...

A star is born...

Reports are coming in all over the Ottoman Empire of a so-called "Messiah child" or "Chosen one". Theologians are currently studying Ottoman prophecy to determine whether this birth coincides with any legends or myths... some are speculating that it was the scientific rennaisance that led to the fulfilment of the prophecy.

... more details to follow...
                Last edited by Ottoman Empire (DoE); March 30, 2011, 08:27.
                Mexico Emerges as a New Player on the International Stage - Mexico City Times

Comment

Teotihua Canal is opened
                  From our reporter in Teotihua

It is a glorious day for the Camaxtlian Aztec empire. We have been able to connect the great ocean, also known as the Pacific, with the eastern ocean, also known as the Atlantic. We are the builders of a true world wonder the Teotihua Canal.

As part of the opening ceremonies two vessels from our Incan neighbors entered the canal and succesfully emerged on the other side.
                  The Camaxtlain-Aztec spectators were awed by the grandeur of this occasion. The sight of two, so wonderfully modern, ships against the amazing background of the Teotihua Canal.

Arxitect Ima Kewond Erf Ullthings was pleased with what he saw, the ten thousand workers had done an amazing job..
                  Last edited by Calanthian; March 30, 2011, 03:03.

Comment

Can't see a bunch of images on this page, fyis.

Comment

The Iceland War Council

The worst part of being a courier is bringing bad news. Especially news as bad as this. James bowed low as he entered the chamber that held the queen and her advisors. Eventually he was able to rise and address the English government in exile, "Your Majesty, I bring bad news. Plymouth has fallen to the French..."

It was not a surprise. They knew that the battle to retake London was costly and Plymouth was left with few troops. With France now entering the war, it was simply too much for the Plymouth garrison to handle. While expected, the news was far from welcome.

"Glasgow and Dublin remain," said the queen, "May God protect them."

"The highlanders will be tough to defeat. This may be the most difficult battle of the war for the Vikings," said William Cecil, the Baron of Burghley and English Secretary of State, reassuringly.

"Will they defeat the Vikings?" asked the Queen.

"We expect the Vikings to take considerable losses," added Arthur Wellesley, the Duke of Wellington, Commander in Chief of the army.

"I didn't ask whether the Vikings would take losses or not, I asked if they would be defeated," said the Queen, clearly annoyed with the avoidance of the question.

The men around the table looked at each other for a moment, nervously. Eventually the Duke of Wellington spoke up, "We are hoping for a close battle, but no, we do not expect to hold Glasgow. Sooner or later Scotland will fall."

"So we are looking at a total loss of Britain? How are things at sea?"

"Things look excellent, ma'am, Admiral Nelson has the entire coast of Europe locked down. Not a fisherman or a trader or a galley as far as the eye can see in the North Sea, Mediterranean, or Atlantic. The blockade has begun takings its toll upon our enemies," said Lord Burghley.

"Then why can't we stop our enemies from landing troops on our homeland!" shouted the queen.

"My liege, the ocean is vast, and galleons are fast ships. We cannot intercept them at sea. Furthermore, since the damn frogs built their capitol right across the channel, they can slip back and forth between London and Paris in no time."

"And what of our allies?"

"The Turks have entered the war, they march on French Africa. The Royal navy will begin bombarding their defenses soon. We hope for victory against the French. The French maintain a large force there however, so it will not be an easy fight."

"May God bless their effort and may they fell many frogs. What of Russia?"

"Russia is arming rapidly to prepare, but finds themselves blocked by the Neandor. They cannot reach France or the Vikings without passing through an armed to the teeth Neandor..." answered the Duke of Wellington.

"The Neandor aid and abet our foes and escape all consequences? Tell the Admiral to expand the blockade to Neandor waters."

"Ma'am, you would have us declare war on the Neandor?"

"Does it matter at this point? Their gifts, posture and actions have shown themselves to be firmly against us. They orchestrate this entire war." the queen was clearly upset over the role the Neandor have played in this entire debacle, "They have not yet formally declared war on us, but do not mistake yourselves, the Neandor wage war against us, no less deadly than that of the French & Viking. Order the blockade."

"Yes, ma'am. Admiral Nelson will ensure they understand the consequences of supporting the invasion of Britain."
                      Last edited by England (DoE); March 30, 2011, 17:22.

Comment

Damn Anglais declare war on Neander!

To the Queen of England (I say respectfully)

Ma'm I believe you overstate the Neander role in this conflict. Yes, we have had our tensions with you for many eons but never have we threatened or plotted against you.

I will be making public the efforts you made to create an anti-Neander Pact.

Neander was never a direct threat to you and during that long buildup era the Vikings were clearly planning on joining your pact and heading their Riflemen our way. I gradually sniffed out what was going on and vigilant as ever the Neander armed herself, purely for defensive reasons; and even to this day we have not declared war on anyone (save for ancient tribal wars).

So, what nation would not work behind the scenes against you when your anti-Neander plot was uncovered?

We set about providing modest support, mostly diplomatic and advisory, to the Vikings and providing them with a defensive Neander Line in the East.

This war is England's folly - your lack of preparedness and an attempt at devious manipulation sees to your own downfall.

Now you come with Frigates and blockade our cities. I have to ask you to immediately drop this blockade. If you do not England will suffer even greater losses. You have a chance to recover at this point and enter into a diplomatic dialog to bring about peace. I have had an extensive meeting with Catherine of Russia who is very keen to resurrect peace in Europe. But as your loyal ally she feels compels, along with a Nationalistic spirit, to support you militarily.

The Neander are the only nation to have publicly suggested peace processes. Catherine has promised me, King Veneta of the Neander Line, that she will be publicly addressing a peace initiative. I await such initiative.

Veneta.
                        The question of whether modern humans and Neanderthals mated when they encountered each other 40,000 years ago is highly controversial.

Comment

This is the treacherous agreement that brought about England's demise:

Greetings honored Vikings!

Here is a copy of the clauses of our proposed alliance with the English and the Ottomans.

===========
                          Europe4 treaty
                          ===========

1) this agreement sets the relations between the four nations - England, Vikings, Ottomans and Russia and is not tied to specific personality or ruler

2) this agreement is tied to the upholding of all other terms in this treaty.

3) We agree to a 50-turn agreement - from Txxx to Txxx inclusive

4) We agree to a mutual defensive against-Neandor-France pact. If either of us were to end up attacked by any of Neandor-France, the other E4 members agrees to declare war immediately (or with some delay if the attacked party explicit says so for strategic purposes) and immediately boost the war efforts against any of these aggressor/s both militarily and economically at full scale, including slaving of units if necessary

5) we agree that any nation will keep considerable armed force, ready to react and help the other fellow E4 members when/if need arises without any delay

6) We 4 nations agree that no previous alliances and allegiances hold if they interfere or may interfere with our allegiance to each other on this matter. Our agreement and friendship take precedence.

7) We 4 agree that no future alliances and allegiances will be signed if they interfere or may interfere with our allegiance to each other on this matter.

8) We 4 agree to trade spare resources to each other first, and only to others secondary.

9) Anyone wishing to leave E4 has to give 20 turns notice in advance, with no one being allowed to leave E4 before turn xxx.

10) Members are allowed to trade resources with non-E4 members however priority must be given to trading resources with fellow E4 members assuming equal value is given.

11) E4 members will not use privateers against other E4 members.

12) E4 members shall not engage in active espionage missions against other E4 members except specifically agreed.

13) Alliance members shall not declare war on another E4 member, no matter what.

14) Alliance members shall not close borders with fellow E4 member, no matter what.

15) In the unlikely event that an E4 member's city culturally flips to another E4 member then the city must be returned to the original owner unless other compensation is agreed to by both parties.

signed:

For England:

For Russia:

For Vikings:

For Ottomans:

Please, take the time to read and agree/propose/change any of the clauses you see fit.

Catherine of Rus.

Comment

Follow up from Damn Anglais.

An Alternative Proposal to the Vikings

War is coming, this is obvious. It is true that you have a technological advantage over us, however war will be costly. To all involved. As you know, England is not without our friends. However you assess the various advantages each side may or may not possess in this war, nothing like this happens without risks. There will be risks. And there will be negative consequences from this for all involved. I propose a better option for you.

You and I both know that the Neandor are a threat. By siding with them now you have the snake by the neck, afraid to let go and afraid to hold on. Can you afford to let them grow more powerful? Can you afford to let them challenge your technological superiority? If they take land from Russia or the Ottomans and catch up to you in technology, what then? Then you have a very large problem on your hands. This war you've planned may dampen the power of some of your rivals but increase the power of others. My proposal is a better path for you.

You want to grow the power and wealth of your nation. You want to knock your rivals back a peg. You want to do all of this with minimal risk. I can offer you all this.

If you call off this war and sign a peace treaty with Russia, England and the Ottomans for 100 turns I will cede to you all my cities in Australia, sign open borders with you and allow you to spread your religion within my cities. You will have the entire continent of Australia virtually to yourself (the only other city there is a Neandor city).

Furthermore, I, Russia and the Ottomans will go to war with the Neandor & French. The two sides in this war are very evenly matched. The war will be costly to both sides. All five of us will be hurt by this war and our development will suffer. Meanwhile, the Vikings will be able to grow peacefully and develop an entire continent untroubled by the burden of war. You can sit back and trade with both sides in the war and further enrich yourself leaving the rest of us to our fate. You will not have to wager your own land, development and prosperity to the risk of war.

Please let me know your thoughts on this.

-Queen Elizabeth I

Comment

The English Pope Faces a Dilemma

In the midst of all the war and tragedy to befall the English people, there was one small blessing. Before war was declared and England was invaded, the Russian pontiff in Calais died of old age and the Cardinals of Christendom met to elect a new Pope. They traveled from as far away as South America and Australia to attend this rare conclave. The Cardinal of Paris was expected to receive the position. Clergy from the world over met in the Vatican, and after several days of deliberation finally the conclave choose a surprise candidate. The selection of the English Cardinal, Nicholas Breakspeare as Pope shocked the world and angered the French. It was apparent at this time that war was brewing and suspicions were common that the French clergy were assisting their government in preparing for war. Many believed that French clergy were scouting out English and Ottoman troop positions in both Britain and in Africa and reporting back to the French military. The Christian world had never seen a war between two Christian nations. If France were truly planning war against England this would be a horrible disruption to the one true faith. This theme became whispered in all corners of the Vatican during the conclave and ultimately swayed the electors away from the Cardinal of Paris. The idea that war loomed large was shocking enough, but the idea that the clergy was assisting a worldly government to plan a war against a brother Christian nation was too much to bear. The situation presented a practical as well as moral crisis for the Church. Ultimately the English Arch-Bishop was seen as the best way for the Church to register its displeasure at the growing clouds of war. The election of Arch Bishop Breakspeare sent a clear message that such naked aggression was anathema to the Church and would not be accepted.

Actually accepting the position presented some practical challenges for Nicholas, who assumed the name Adrian IV. Would the French allow him to safely take up residence of the Apostolic Palace in Calais? Indeed this was more than just a religious matter, the Queen herself got involved to decide what course to take.

Elizabeth called a meeting of the top religious and civil minds in England. They met to discuss the election and the war to come.

They gathered in St. Paul's Cathedral, the beautiful church that was the centre of worship in London before the invasion and the deadly Viking fire that decimated the city. Light streamed in from the stained glass providing a small spark of light to an otherwise dim setting for such dark talk. The queen sat upon the throne, facing out into the gathered mass of bishops, monks, cardinals, priests and civil servants.

The queen spoke first: "I believe it is too dangerous to allow Pope Adrian to take his seat in France. The foul French and their Neandor masters cannot be trusted. Even now they prepare for war against us and against the Turks. How easy will it be to assassinate the Pope when he lies within their borders?"

"Your Majesty, the French would not dare to harm the Pope!"

"Oh?" the queen asked incredulously, "You believe there are limits to the depravity of the frogs?"

Not wanting to seem sympathetic to the French, the bishop struggled to come up with an answer, "Uh.. no, your majesty, surely if they were able to, they would kill the Pope and every last Englishman they could get their hands on, however I think the consequences of such action would be too great."

"How so? The French have shown themselves able to interfere with the French clergy at will, surely nothing would stop them from acting as they chose."

Another bishop spoke up, "The people the world over understand the tense political situation now. If war breaks out and the Pope passes, it will look to all as murder. The French would be unable to cover it up. The French King would find himself facing more than English and Ottoman armies, he'd find himself against French peasants as well. Adrian would be the most watched - and thus the safest Pope in history."

"Furthermore," said Secretary of State William Cecil, "Having an English Pope in France could present certain... advantages to us."

The queen was suddenly intrigued, "Please go on, Lord Burghley."

"The power of the Holy See is great and often under appreciated," he answered, "Pope Adrian could excommunicate the French or Neandor, or call a holy war against the heathen Viking. Controlling the mighty Catholic church would give us great intelligence against our foes as well. The world is sympathetic to our plight. They know who will be the aggressors in this war. The highest bully pulpit in the land can only help."

The queen considered their words for a long time. Finally she relented, "Very well, I will allow Adrian to travel to Calais. May he aid us in averting this war before it begins. May God protect him and may God protect England."

The bishops cheered, "God save the Queen!!"

Comment

King Veneta,

The world can plainly see that the suggested pact was defensive in nature. Neither England, Russia nor the Ottomans had any aggressive intent. Indeed, after the aggressive language, posturing and military build up by France and Neandor can anyone blame us for being nervous about invasion? Obviously our fears were well placed since not long later England finds itself decimated in the face of a brutal attack. That we were aware of Neandor, French & Viking plans earlier and concerned for our safety shows prudence only, not malice. What other nation would seek a defensive alliance to protect their borders against aggressive and expansionary neighbors?

You call this an "anti-Nenader" pact, but surely even a Neanderthal must realize that had the Neandor or French not invaded us, this pact would have no effect. No one would see something sinister in protecting one's borders from conquest. You say you never threatened or plotted against us, had we not felt threatened we would have had no need for such a pact. Had we not been plotted against we would not today find foreign troops occupying our oldest and largest cities. Your pleas are hallow appeals of a conqueror and a puppet master.

The second letter you shared with the world was sent as Viking riflemen boarded ships bound for York. It is foolish to claim that it was this letter that provoked war or that some "anti-Neander plot" sent the Vikings into your arms. That letter was our last attempt to avoid the calamity and misery we now find ourselves in. This war is due to nothing but Viking, French & Neander greed, nothing more. England are victims of blood lust, nothing more.

That being said, yes we are indeed interested in discussions of peace. Peace is all we have ever wanted. As our second letter indicates, we have always been prepared to negotiate for peace. In fact we attempted to negotiate peace before war even begun.

-Queen Elizabeth I

Comment

Working...
                                X