Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Civilisation choice for beginner
Collapse
X
-
I reckon UU's do count and would opt Inca as a good start for early expansion and wonders.
Best beginners I reckon are Dutch as both FIN/CRE. They can become mega in the late game if left to get along without too much harassment. They actually do have a genuine chance of a Cultural victory and can even achieve their aims quite happily as a vassal state. I reckon Ozzy would disagree.
Last edited by St Jon; August 5, 2009, 14:03.
Leave a comment:
-
After looking up who is financial/creative, it should be noted that civ has an exceptionally powerful UB too....
Leave a comment:
-
And for traits for the inexperience, I agree that financial and creative (additionally for the cheap braries) are probably the best.
Leave a comment:
-
Besides considering traits one should consider starting techs.
If you're one that has to have an early religion to prosper, having Myst as a starting tech would be a must.
If not, having mining or one of the prereqs for animal husbandry can be critical. Getting bronze work earlier to start chopping and knowledge of where the copper is can be critical on a cramped map. Knowing about horses early also is also helpful. Also knowing if you're going to have to detour to iron working or archery early if you lack both copper and horses helps your planning. Any civ the can research BW first then AH second has an early advantage.
Leave a comment:
-
I think Pin has a good list. I certainly wouldn't have thought of protective since, as he said, it is generally thought to be a very weak trait, but his explanation makes sense.
Leave a comment:
-
thanks mate. i will see what left when i get a chance to pick;
hopefully the experienced players taking the non financial civs.
Leave a comment:
-
Considering the UUs and UBs only have limited effect on overall stratagy, the real question is "what traits should a beginner pick". This of course is more associated with leaders then civs.
I would say for beginners, Financial is a must have. It's effect is mostly passive (meaning you don't have to apply a specific strategy to get the most out of it, like you would with say Philosophical). It is also arguably the most powerful trait.
The rest of my choices (and avoidance) will probably come as a surprise...
I would recommend Creative, because getting culture screwed in the early game (no fat crosses) can really hamstring a beginner. This trait is also mostly passive and therefore can be easily applied.
Protective is also one I think is helpful for beginners. I am sure many will disagree with me on this as it is often thought of as a weak trait. The reason I recommend it is that attacking a well defended protective civ is a big headache. This could make you less of a target. If you do get attacked, keeping your cities is a bit easier.
Organized is a great passive trait, but IMO should only be chosen on purpose if you plan on running expensive civics such as organized religion, etc... So this one takes some planning far ahead, although it will work well passively without civic planning.
Expansive is also very powerful and not hard to use. You need to understand the power of early workers, graineries, and slavery however to really make it shine.
I would avoid Aggressive for beginners. After all, do you really plan on attacking better players? Philo is also a more advanced civic IMO due to the strategy that goes with it. Spiritual also is what I would consider a more advanced trait.
I would also avoid Industrial. Although considered one of the more powerful traits, wonders can really detract a beginner from more important endeavors.
Hope this helps.
Leave a comment:
-
Civilisation choice for beginner
Based on the traits and advantages disadvantages of each civ, which civ should a relative inexperiences player choose in a MP game. Especially if playing against some good players is there certain civs you shouldnt pickTags: None
Leave a comment: