Civilisation choice for beginner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civilisation choice for beginner

Based on the traits and advantages disadvantages of each civ, which civ should a relative inexperiences player choose in a MP game. Especially if playing against some good players is there certain civs you shouldnt pick
    GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71

Considering the UUs and UBs only have limited effect on overall stratagy, the real question is "what traits should a beginner pick". This of course is more associated with leaders then civs.

I would say for beginners, Financial is a must have. It's effect is mostly passive (meaning you don't have to apply a specific strategy to get the most out of it, like you would with say Philosophical). It is also arguably the most powerful trait.

The rest of my choices (and avoidance) will probably come as a surprise...

I would recommend Creative, because getting culture screwed in the early game (no fat crosses) can really hamstring a beginner. This trait is also mostly passive and therefore can be easily applied.

Protective is also one I think is helpful for beginners. I am sure many will disagree with me on this as it is often thought of as a weak trait. The reason I recommend it is that attacking a well defended protective civ is a big headache. This could make you less of a target. If you do get attacked, keeping your cities is a bit easier.

Organized is a great passive trait, but IMO should only be chosen on purpose if you plan on running expensive civics such as organized religion, etc... So this one takes some planning far ahead, although it will work well passively without civic planning.

Expansive is also very powerful and not hard to use. You need to understand the power of early workers, graineries, and slavery however to really make it shine.

I would avoid Aggressive for beginners. After all, do you really plan on attacking better players? Philo is also a more advanced civic IMO due to the strategy that goes with it. Spiritual also is what I would consider a more advanced trait.

I would also avoid Industrial. Although considered one of the more powerful traits, wonders can really detract a beginner from more important endeavors.

Hope this helps.

Comment

thanks mate. i will see what left when i get a chance to pick;

hopefully the experienced players taking the non financial civs.
      GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71

Comment

I think Pin has a good list. I certainly wouldn't have thought of protective since, as he said, it is generally thought to be a very weak trait, but his explanation makes sense.
        Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Besides considering traits one should consider starting techs.
          If you're one that has to have an early religion to prosper, having Myst as a starting tech would be a must.

If not, having mining or one of the prereqs for animal husbandry can be critical. Getting bronze work earlier to start chopping and knowledge of where the copper is can be critical on a cramped map. Knowing about horses early also is also helpful. Also knowing if you're going to have to detour to iron working or archery early if you lack both copper and horses helps your planning. Any civ the can research BW first then AH second has an early advantage.
          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

And for traits for the inexperience, I agree that financial and creative (additionally for the cheap braries) are probably the best.
            It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

After looking up who is financial/creative, it should be noted that civ has an exceptionally powerful UB too....

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

I reckon UU's do count and would opt Inca as a good start for early expansion and wonders.

Best beginners I reckon are Dutch as both FIN/CRE. They can become mega in the late game if left to get along without too much harassment. They actually do have a genuine chance of a Cultural victory and can even achieve their aims quite happily as a vassal state. I reckon Ozzy would disagree.
                Last edited by St Jon; August 5, 2009, 14:03.
                “Quid latine dictum sit, altum videtur”
                - Anon

Comment

If the Dutch are the best civ for a beginner who would be second best?

Comment

The Inca are generally understood to be the most powerful civ. But if IND is understood to be a non-beginner trait... I dunno.

Comment

So we agree that Holland is no.1...

My ideas for beginner civs (please discus):

Ethiopia: Zara Yaqob - Creative, Organized

Stella - replacement for Monument adds a 25% culture bonus
                      Their UU is also ok.

Khmer: Suryavarman - Creative, Expansive

Sumeria: Gilgamesh - Creative, Protective

Their UB is pretty awesome (a cheap and early courthouse). Also their UU is good.
                      Last edited by Heraclitus; August 5, 2009, 16:45.
                      Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
                      The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
                      The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

Korea, Maya, Victoria of England, Catherine of Russia* and Darius of Persia seem ok on paper too.

*Imperialistic may be a problem for new players in other MP games, but I think in diplo overexpansion is harder to do. Also it opens up the ability to play a "settler first", a simple and reasonably effective opening move of the terrain is right.
                        Last edited by Heraclitus; August 5, 2009, 16:46.
                        Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
                        The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
                        The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

This reminds me I think the biggest pitfall for newbies are the starting moves. There is no room there to employ non-game skills to ameliorate poor game skills, its also the part where it is hardest to make optimum decisions.

Comment

I'm not a beginner - only at MP - and Inca are a huge No.1. SP, India under Gandhi are a peach with the Fast Workers and a pretty much guaranteed religion.

For a beginner I reckon Dutch have a lot going for them, even SP, but Portugal has Caracks. I still reckon UU's are worthwhile and Zulus are not to be ignored.

America and Russia are the 2 worst of the lot as you need UU's and UB's very early. I have never played a game where a Research Lab was built or a SEAL had any meaningful impact.
                            “Quid latine dictum sit, altum videtur”
                            - Anon

Comment

it opens up the ability to play a "settler first", a simple and reasonably effective opening move of the terrain is right.
                              Sort of risky for a beginner. Coming back from losing a settler to a stray wolf is hard enough for seasoned players...

This reminds me I think the biggest pitfall for newbies are the starting moves.
                              Great point. The biggest mistake I see some players make is waiting too long to build a worker, and then not building enough of them. Another golden piece of advice regarding early moves is slave and chop your workers and settlers whenever you can. This reduces the no city size growth downtime of building these units. The optimal time to do it is the first turn in which it only costs 2 population.

If you start with fishing, and have a coastal capital, you almost must go workboat first. Try to time it so that when the workboat is finished, your capital has just reached population 2 or 3. This allows for that critical early worker to come even earlier.

Biggest beginner early move mistake - building warriors and scouts as your first units.

The importance of the first 50 turns cannot be overemphasized. A well thought out opening can cascade into a game long lead.
                              Last edited by Pinchak; August 5, 2009, 17:06.

Comment

Working...
                              X