Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I must protest about my starting location... Although I don't have a strategic problem nor a resource problem.

I do however have a flooding problem:

NOTE: I have yet to move anything...
    Ceeforee v0.1 - The Unofficial Civ 4 Editor -= Something no Civ Modder should ever be without =- Last Updated: 27/03/2009
    "Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean there's no conspiracy"

Comment

• Restart!

Also, please post under your anonymous name or edit out the flags of your units so we don't know what civ you are.
      Last edited by OzzyKP; June 2, 2008, 20:18.
      Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

• Originally posted by Pitboss Vikings
        As to shorter turn times i unfortunately will have to resign from game if that occurs, appernetly some people can play and work and sleep all at the same time. I can only play ONCE per 24 hour period, except possibly on weekends, but Aussie weekends are diferent to US ones by one day.

So lets stick to 24 hr turns as that allows us all to play once a day regrdless of time zones.

If you want more action go play a normal PITBOSS game as well.
        I think we are going with 24 hour turns overall, but people were just thinking to go with 8 hour turns early on in the game when there isn't much to do. This would speed things along.

This doesn't mean everyone is expected to log in and move three times a day. This means that if you can only log in once a day, you make sure you have build & move queues to carry you through till the next day. At this point in the game there are no techs or buildings that can be finished in less than 3 turns. So that won't at all be an issue.

The only issue is moving your worker/scout around. That could make things more difficult, but think about it in diplo terms. An explorer isn't likely to get constant orders from the capitol, so you have to set him in a direction and then reassess in a few turns. Just think that the scout is getting slow orders from back home. Exploring can still be effective, but not perfect. I think it is a worthy compromise to make for the health of the game.
        Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

• On a positive note, I have managed to copy Civ4 onto my laptop and can play without too much interruption. Turns out the only registry requirements are to determine which option to display when the disk autoruns: 'Install' or 'Play'.
          Ceeforee v0.1 - The Unofficial Civ 4 Editor -= Something no Civ Modder should ever be without =- Last Updated: 27/03/2009

Comment

• Japan says stop complaining and just make due with what u got. we all knew from the start that everyone wasn't going to be happy with everything. geeez the game just started and all i see are complaints. i say we just make due and stop b*tching about everything.

Comment

• Originally posted by OzzyKP
              Also, please post under your anonymous name or edit out the flags of your units so we don't know what civ you are.
              If you notice... I did edit the flags. Although I don't really care if people know who I am.

Comment

• Well, I guess I owe MMC an apology.

I don't understand it however. I erased 18 settlers (counted them as I deleted them to make sure I got them all), then placed them on the numbered starting spots according to Portaguls random list.

Wish I had a deeper understanding of the game code.

Cyber, you can give it a go as far as repairs, or I can send you an updated version.

OR we can just go with a computer generated map. I don't want to hear all game about how I screwed this civ and that civ.

The map is well thought out. If somone got a very generous start it is because they have been hamstringed some other way.

I actually TRIED to give civs very different starts, while still attempting to keep it balanced. This is what made it so tricky.

Something else Cyber failed to mention is that yes, there is alot of land, but it is not all choice. You might be able to fit 15 citys in your area... if you made most of them coastal, didn't bother with making sure it had food, and also gave complete disregard to the terrain quality.

I may have been a little generous with the space, but I figured better we have too much then not enough.

I'm tired of defending the map though. If you guys want to play with a "everyone gets everything and all our land looks more or less the same" computer generated map be my guest.

But before doing that... load a comp generated huge terra low sea map, turn on worldbuilder, and really ask yourself if that is much better.
                Last edited by Pinchak; June 2, 2008, 21:10.

Comment

• I'm happy enough to stick with a repaired version of Pinchak's map for now, although I would like to start on land...

Comment

• Japan thinks that pinchak's map is good enough. besides it make it a bit more realistic in my view to start and play in less then perfect conditions because it really puts your diplomacy and managerial skills to the test. i say let the dice fall where they may. as for the cityies well u forget that there are someof us who are on islands who cant build many cities of our own so even if andyone does get 15 cities they will end up loseing afew from other cives like england and japan who are on islands, and dont be mistaken if japan sees an opertunity to expand japan will take it by force or by other means.

Comment

• Please advise if we are starting for real or if there is a restart pending.
                      WarningU2 Member of CIvilization Players Multiplayer League
                      ---------------------------
                      "A witty saying proves nothing." - Voltaire (1694-1778)

Comment

• i think the restarts so far have been for errors in the code, such as giving two many starting techs and building a city with culture level 6 at start. and also for settler in ocean start

there is no requesting for restarts based on start locations.

Comment

• The start should currently be pending, since MMC is floating out in the middle of the ocean.

After further analysis, Cyber is SOMEWHAT correct. There is alot of land. We are looking at between 13-20 citys apeice on the mainlands.

But is that a bad thing? I would think it would make war more acceptable, since taking a city or two wouldn't have to potential to cripple a civ as baddly.

I do wish I had just a few more hours to deal with a few balance issues cyber brought up (and give MMC a real start!)

I could also make fresh water avaliable for all starts. Orginally I used lack of a fresh water capital to offset civs with a larger open area.

Bottom line is, some civs have more land to settle than others. I attempted to balance this with geography, resorces nubmers and types, fresh water avalibility, and land quality.

Like I said before though, Im not going to push this map only to hear later about how unfair it was. Bottom line was that starting postions were picked randomly, and for the most part are equal although you have to read between the lines to see how.

It is up to you Cyber. If you want to use it, let me know. I will fix the known issues by tomarrow night. Also, let me know specific things you think should be changed to balance the map. I will seriously consider them.

Comment

• Thinking about it more, I am actually glad cyber peeked at it. Creating something that massive without a second opinion is difficult.

I hate to admit it, but if you factor in "new world" land there may be too much after all. I was actually thinking this during the final phases, however the game does this weird graphics thing when you try to erase land (makes the water dark blue and unnatural). This is one of the reasons I had to resort to using other methods to hamstring "land generous" starts.

I really think the best solution is to give me a few more hours to tweek things, and fix things (like MMCs start, fresh water capitals, and getting rid of the settled citys).

I can have it done by 10PM EST, so we can start say at midnight EST.

Comment

• The map is okay as it is, just fix the damn bugs (first the archery techs, then the settled cities with culture, now a sea start, you seem to be becoming a real game developer ) already so we can finally make a turn that matters!

Comment

• Originally posted by Pinchak

I do wish I had just a few more hours to deal with a few balance issues cyber brought up (and give MMC a real start!)

I could also make fresh water avaliable for all starts. Orginally I used lack of a fresh water capital to offset civs with a larger open area.

Bottom line is, some civs have more land to settle than others. I attempted to balance this with geography, resorces nubmers and types, fresh water avalibility, and land quality.

Like I said before though, Im not going to push this map only to hear later about how unfair it was. Bottom line was that starting postions were picked randomly, and for the most part are equal although you have to read between the lines to see how.

It is up to you Cyber. If you want to use it, let me know. I will fix the known issues by tomarrow night. Also, let me know specific things you think should be changed to balance the map. I will seriously consider them.

Pincahak, we want to see and play on the map the way you made it! Some people whined since their spot was unorthdox, since you took creative steps to acheive balance.

But all anyone ever requested is to fix the mistakes. Don't rebalance or add fresh water or stuff like that just make a map that dosen't have stupid mistakes like we have seen!
                                It would take too long to rebalance the map, and tell me if someong a day from now started whining about his start would you step back to redo the map one more time?

I mean didn't anyone take a look at the map?

I want to bloody play, don't reblance, just fix the bugs and relaunch the game the first second you can.

If the blance issues prove to be severe... this is Diplo! We will work them out, we always had, we always will.

Comment

Working...
                                X