This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Pitboss Korea
    I don't understand the complaints about the posts, this is what a diplogame is.
    I seriously think you are creating a separate genre and it's called role playing not diplo playing.

So many of the stories have nothing to do with moves on the chessboard.

No matter how great the internal stories, even when linked to other players stories, are not part of diplo gaming. Cities are not burning, units are not being destroyed etc etc.

Capo invented role playing in HOTW2 as a means to support diplo playing but now it's way over the top and the linkages are not apparent.

As I posted in the story thread I suggest that we DO create another thread for what is predominantly role playing.

The main thread should be about what happens on the chessboard and the diplomacy directly connected to this.

Otherwise the diplo is going to drown and a whole host of players will miss important diploing because they don't properly read all the stories.

I'm sorry, but what you are doing is not necessarily good for the game when you consider so few turns and so many (new) diplo players.
    "Old age and skill will overcome youth and treachery. "
    *deity of THE DEITIANS*

Comment

• is quiting when things get to hard the right way to play diplo too?

Comment

• Originally posted by Blackdragon921
        is quiting when things get to hard the right way to play diplo too?
        Oooh! Good question...

* Prepares enough popcorn for everyone and waits for the show to start *
        Ceeforee v0.1 - The Unofficial Civ 4 Editor -= Something no Civ Modder should ever be without =- Last Updated: 27/03/2009
        "Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean there's no conspiracy"

Comment

• I hate quitters they have no place playing Diplo

Comment

• Damn, everyone is making good points.

I (like to) think that my posts have to do with what I am doing in the game, my posts about the Generals I have are direct links to units I have exploring. The whole thing about Lama Jinul is to explain the start of Buddhism as the state religion. Yes, much of it doesn't have to do with the game (like Gang Jo loving the Princess) but those events will lead to things that do/will occur in the game. A lot of things that seem meaningless now will eventually mean something.

I don't think much has changed from what (you say) I started in HOTW2, there are just more people doing it so it seems extravagant. I mean the posts I made about Napolean Bonaparte's rise from a child to the dictator of the Adriatic League was long, was mostly pointless, and had almost nothing to do with what was happening in the game, but nobody complained then.

I am not sure who blackdragon is, and I am also not sure that it is confirmed that deity was Korea, but there is no need to take cheapshots. He has played in many (if not all) of the great diplogames, many players get upset over things and its difficult to tell how upset a person really is over the computer, so we shouldn't blame him for quitting, at least not use it as a means to refute points he made. Which are good points.

He was around when there weren't even 18 diplogamers to play a game this big, so he's been there for all of it and remembers how difficult it was to recruit people. He is right, we've got to make this fun for new people too.

I just don't know that changing the way people post is necessarily going to do it.

There is also the possibility that by having this many people we may have bitten off more than we can chew, not to mention the pitboss situation. By having this many people, even if everyone was diploing at the same level, I think we've made the game too large and unweildy. Secondly, with pitboss people who are enthusiastic to get turns done and post may tend to go overboard. This is why you get people (like me) who don't mind having a shorter timer, and then you have people who simply can't play two or three turns a day and it isn't there fault. I can speak from experience, there have been times where I simply didn't have time to play, a few of you were there for that, and I had to take time off of the game, so I can understand when games get too much for you.

What this does is make it difficult for some people to keep up. Now I know there are connection issues, and pitboss is the way to prevent them, but I don't think diplogames should be played in the pitboss style, I think pitboss has resulted in this very issue itself. Before you played a session and had a bunch of crap to post about, and nobody complained about the posts because there was a lot to post about and cover, you could debate an issue better because you had a whole week to negotiate and propose ideas.

I'm not suggesting we stop playing this game at all, and I hope nobody takes it that way. I am just thinking out loud, I don't know what to do about it all, I enjoy posting and I like reading people's posts. Part of the issue is that nothing has gone on yet because the game goes slower. Eventually we are only going to be going seven turns a week, which is nearly half of what we would be getting done normally. People play diplogames because they like the roleplaying aspect, they like to be able to conduct diplomacy BEYOND clicking options in the diplomacy screen.

Don't know really, I don't really have a point I guess.
            "Our cause is in the hands of fate. We can not guarantee success. But we can do something better; we can deserve it." -John Adams

One Love.

Comment

• I not sure of others, but everything i post is game related.

I have barbarians attacking my citys, so yes my citys are burning. That what happens when you attacked.

I have met some nations and the interaction between them is hoe i will play it out in the game.

For instance, the Japanese have sworn to elliminat all of Oldonia due to the role palying that has occured, he started it and i hae played along with it and it will play out in game for results that wont necessarily be of benifit to either of us winning the game. Some people will play this game and only make decisions that will mena better points or chance of winning by launching some abdtract lunar mission that is a crap way to win a game.

My role palying effects my game and is effected by my game.

Barbarians at this point are my worst problem. To explain why i have so many attacking me i am creating a character that has turned agaisnt my civ and is one with the barbarians. Rather than simply saying it game mechanics causei surrounded by lots of land. I hate the in game mechanics.

So i will continiue to post role palying stories , read between the lines and you wil lsee what happening in game or will happen shortly in game.

The lack of support for the attacks of the Terrosit Nations will be taken into account later in game.

Comment

• Here something else: Usually Pitboss games have rules againt people not taking their turns. For example if you miss in a row 2-3 turns without any notice (guys i am off for the weekend, vacation etc) the host turns you to a AI until that player gets back.

I've seen many players even switching themselevs to AI in order not to slow the game if they will miss some turns.

Also lets not forget we switched to a slower timer to accomodate people's request. But what is the reason going on a longer timer if even that same people can't make it then.

AT least a quicker timer moved the game.

Comment

• How do you switch yourself to AI temporarily?

Comment

• Originally posted by Blackdragon921
                    is quiting when things get to hard the right way to play diplo too?
                    This is not fair.

Firstly you are making the same assumptions as the Maya and others. You may be wrong or right. But you don't know for certain do you?

I can't confirm or deny as it breaks anonymity.

So why not address the points?

Secondly, thanks Capo for your more respectfull comments. I appreciate them.
                    *deity of THE DEITIANS*

Comment

• Originally posted by Toni
                      Here something else: Usually Pitboss games have rules againt people not taking their turns. For example if you miss in a row 2-3 turns without any notice (guys i am off for the weekend, vacation etc) the host turns you to a AI until that player gets back.

I've seen many players even switching themselevs to AI in order not to slow the game if they will miss some turns.

Also lets not forget we switched to a slower timer to accomodate people's request. But what is the reason going on a longer timer if even that same people can't make it then.

AT least a quicker timer moved the game.
                      Yes, However I really think an 11 hour timer is essential for the health of the game.
                      *deity of THE DEITIANS*

Comment

• this is not a normal piboss game therefore no need to put people to AI of absent. We have a timer for a purpose and that is to allow all to make one turn per day. if they miss that turn it is to their oown detriment. no need to speed the game up when it was agreed, informally that this would be a one turn perday game.

Gives all those quick people more time to read the threads they keep missing

Comment

• Just for the record, personally I think this game is awesome. It's no problem to discuss things once in a while. It's a long game, that's what happens during games with 18 players.

I love the game! I really do.
                          Formerly known as "CyberShy"
                          Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

• So do I.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pitboss Rome
                              How do you switch yourself to AI temporarily?
                              When you've queued up your orders and ended your turn, use the retire option instead of the quit option. You can then log back in later and take over from the AI.
                              Ceeforee v0.1 - The Unofficial Civ 4 Editor -= Something no Civ Modder should ever be without =- Last Updated: 27/03/2009
                              "Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean there's no conspiracy"

Comment

• Originally posted by The Capo
                                Damn, everyone is making good points.

I am not sure who blackdragon is, and I am also not sure that it is confirmed that deity was Korea, but there is no need to take cheapshots. He has played in many (if not all) of the great diplogames, many players get upset over things and its difficult to tell how upset a person really is over the computer, so we shouldn't blame him for quitting, at least not use it as a means to refute points he made. Which are good points.

please anyone with half a brain knows deity was korea he himself confermed it when he put it out that he wasn't going to play anymore and gave his password so please don't give me that bs about deity not being korea cuz you and me both know thats a lie.beside its not breaking any anon rules if you already basicly said who you were yourself. as for who i am well you'll find out in good time. for the record i could care less how many games he has played the fact is when things got too hard he just quit and i just wanted to know if all diplogames are like that.

Comment

Working...
                                X