What do people think when they play a bunch of Caesar freaks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do people think when they play a bunch of Caesar freaks

I try to play MP from the lobby and not get mad, but every time I play there is always some punk who's all, "I wanna be Caesar" when someone else is. (someone ALWAYS is btw)

I have a handful of annoyances related to this:

1st, playing a game with 4 other people who are various colors that usually belong to other Civs, but in this instance belong to "CAESAR" is very confusing. For example, seeing a yellow Caesar's borders I think, "Egypt, make some spears" Then the little jerk tries to prat rush. I can usually defend this rush but it will cripple me for the rest of the game.

2nd, running a keshik in and pillaging iron mines ASAP is the best counter I've found for Caesar freaks, who then accuse me of cheating because I'm playing as the Mongol horde. "Stupid n00b tahts n0t f4r3!!!one11" or "metaliturtle1zorzizacheatzorzezozesorsox"

I thought eliminating your opponents UU production was good strategy last time I checked.

3rd, they like to quit if they start on an island alone because their rush doesn't work very easily in that case.

4th I just feel bad that they eliminate the fun of the other Civs by limiting themselves to the prat rush strategy. It's not even like the battles are hard-fought in these games, most of the time there's a clear winner and everyone else just sucks.

Anyway, thanks for letting me rant.
    First Master, Banan-Abbot of the Nana-stary, and Arch-Nan of the Order of the Sacred Banana.
    Marathon, the reason my friends and I have been playing the same hotseat game since 2006...

The quitting drives me nuts too. The 12-year olds at lamespy have this habit of quitting at the first sign of trouble or (worse) not defending their capital early and losing it to the first foreign warrior that comes by.

Ceaser is popular, but there are plenty of other popular rush races too, such as Egypt (I had three Egypts in a recent random game), Mongols, Incas, and Persians. India seems very popular too in random games (as well as games with my RL friends and Apolyton friends).

The early rush is just part of the game, and you have to expect it in those lovely l33t blazing/quick games you get at lamespy.
    "Cunnilingus and Psychiatry have brought us to this..."

Tony Soprano

Comment

Originally posted by MasterDave
      The quitting drives me nuts too. The 12-year olds at lamespy have this habit of quitting at the first sign of trouble or (worse) not defending their capital early and losing it to the first foreign warrior that comes by.
      No need to start labeling people with an age. Besides, I can name you plenty of people in their 20's, 30's & up who would fit that profile.

But still, that's the profile of people in the lobby of whatever age. The message of course is that the lobby is a terrible place to get games. Organize games here with reliable people you know. Or join the ladder, they'll still rush you, but at least they won't quit.

Or best yet, join a diplogame.
      Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

I agree Ozzy. For the last couple of months I have been playing regular games with a group of RL friends and for the last several weeks I have been playing in Rah's Saturday group. Those games are a lot more fun and there is less random quitting (people do concede, but not until they have good reason to...). However, those games take planning and coordination to put together.

For instant gratification of the multiplayer Civ itch, sometimes the lobby is the only option. Occasionally I can get into a good game with competitive people in those random games, and those are worth playing with the quitters and lamers.

Tony Soprano

Comment

I guess the quitting bothers me the least unless they are my teammate.
          First Master, Banan-Abbot of the Nana-stary, and Arch-Nan of the Order of the Sacred Banana.
          Marathon, the reason my friends and I have been playing the same hotseat game since 2006...

Comment

Ive still had a lot of fun with games with quitters in courtesy of the AI seamlessly taking up the slack from quitters. I just keep playing as people quit and join around me. and I've got to the end game a couple of times now with at least one other person who also started the game.

My favorite random lobby + quitters game was an OCC. Of course when someone quits the AI takes over their civ and starts settling new cities. I allied with the only other guy who was still bound by the OCC rules. Then players joined to control the AI civs and we were really up against the odds
            Safer worlds through superior firepower

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyKP

No need to start labeling people with an age.
              I think they can be 12 years in Spirit even if they have a beard

Originally posted by OzzyKP

Or best yet, join a diplogame.
              Hear hear!

Comment

Yes, playing with people you know does eliminate some of the bad manners. Anonymous people don't care.

At least when people quit in our games it's usually a concession after 3 of their cities have fallen and realization that nothing is going to stop the SODs.

Heck I've played on in games when my frontier has been devesated and my only goal is to save my cap.

But it is annoying to play in games where a person's strat is based on not defending his cap early and quiting if it doesn't work.

I don't mind it as much when a player chooses you to attempt to be his ***** and it eliminates any chance either of you have a doing well, but it really annoys me when they try and try and keep failing and then quit before you can pay them back.
                It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Speaking of people quitting... Metaliturtle hasn't played for several days now in our pitboss game, and we're wondering where he's got to... Whilst we are a very casual group and honestly don't mind if you're taking absolutely freaking ages, when we're waiting for several days for one last person to play, thus stepping forward the game but just one more turn, it can get a little annoying.

Incidently, the aforementioned game is now registered at www.civstats.com; the new PitBoss watcher which brings the possibility of remote administration just one step closer.
                  Ceeforee v0.1 - The Unofficial Civ 4 Editor -= Something no Civ Modder should ever be without =- Last Updated: 27/03/2009
                  "Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean there's no conspiracy"

Comment

Also:

Originally posted by OmnipotentTrout
                    I think they can be 12 years in Spirit even if they have a beard
                    As worrying as this is (given how true it can be at times), it's not as worrying as when some of the aforementioned bearded players are women. Although that is often a different kind of worrying.
                    Ceeforee v0.1 - The Unofficial Civ 4 Editor -= Something no Civ Modder should ever be without =- Last Updated: 27/03/2009

Comment

I have 30 something yr old friends who would put the 12 year olds to shame by being childish and acting like arses, so Ive got no assumptions with regards to physical age of opponents these days

I try to stick out my rough starts in MP, especially if Im being choked/shut out of the game, purely so I can try to work out how to get out of it so I can attack better next time I do the choking

Im rather bemused sometimes when players log in as my peaceful AI neighbours only to concentrate all of their forces and throw them at a border city, and quit when they fail. It makes for some nail biting fights and validation that I spread my defence just right when I succeed . However the balance goes out the window as a neighbour or I can now roll the AI even easier
                      Safer worlds through superior firepower

Comment

sorry MMC my CIV game crapped out on me... actually my whole computer pretty much crapped out on me, I have a buddy who's working on it. In the meantime I've borrowed a university laptop that gets me online but no CIV It does run Europa Universalis II though

Comment

No worries. I've sent you a PM about it. Hope you get back to Civ4 soon.

Comment

"Caesar freaks" really hate it when you choke them, and with good reason: Caesar's a sub-par leader without access to his Praetorians.

As for starting alone on an island when everyone else is on the mainland, that's just bad game setup and I do not really blame anyone for quitting in that instance. Unless, of course, it's an Islands or Archipelago map.
                            And her eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming...

Comment

In reading the previews on Warlords, I am guessing that Augustus Ceaser might very well be Imperialstic and Organized. That sounds like a GREAT combo: Cheaper settlers, organized for cheaper maintainance on your sprawling empire, more great generals, cheap courthouses, AND praetorians!! I may become an Auguster Caesar freak myself if he turns out to have this combo!!

Tony Soprano

Comment

Working...
                              X