Europe 1092 AD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Europe 1092 AD

I found a great mod/scenario over at CivFanatics that I've been playing today. Custom made for Europe in the middle ages.

Is anyone interested in a non-diplogame (or diplo-light perhaps) using this scenario?

Lots of new techs, wonders, units, and civics. New civs (Papal states, Byzantium, Scottish, etc). I think it would be lots of fun to play online. Only problem though is its size. Its a big map with the full 18 civs and additional barbarian cities too. I dunno how well we'd be able to handle it online, but I'd be interested in trying it.

So I'm thinking we do it one of two ways. First idea is we pick all the small states (Bohemia, Papal States, Prussia, Lithuania, etc) jack up the difficulty level and work together to bring down the AI.

Or we pick all the big powers (France, Russia, Hungary, Turkey, Holy Roman Empire, etc) and battle it out for supremecy of Europe. If we did this I'd recommend we turn off tech trading. Also if we did this I'm calling Hungary.

By "diplo-light" I mean no story writing, or characters or roleplaying, but with real diplomacy. So just like in the real world there is plenty of alliances and defence treaties and such, but ultimately self-serving with the goal of conquest.

Anyone interested?

The Scenario:
    This is my first scenario, it's about Medieval Europe the situation at 1092AD. I made this scenario using European Empires 3 mod http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=144971, you should make sure you have the Expanded version of EuropaEuropa3 working properly, which you can find in...

The Mod:
    Europa Europa 3: The European Empires Mod By: ArbitraryGuy Original Map: Arne Version 3.1 Patch is here. If you have previously installed EE3, just install EE3.1 over it. The Main Files: Download Europa Europa 3.1 here. *Thanks to Aussie_Lurker for uploading this. Requires Civ 4 Patch...

The Map:
    Attached Files
    Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

While I'm interested in playing either way, I think my preference is for taking the small powers and working together against the AI.

The small powers:

Papal States - 1 city
    Bohemia - 2 cities
    Prussia - 2 cities
    Aragon - 3 cities
    Denmark - 3 cities
    Castille - 3 cities
    Lithuania - 4 cities
    England - 4 cities
    Scotland - 4 cities

I say we stick to the smallest first, and if there is sufficient interest then we try the 4 city powers. But stick to 3 city and below otherwise.
    Last edited by OzzyKP; March 30, 2006, 18:20.

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Or maybe instead of using all the large powers, we use the mid-size powers but play non-cooperatively. (i.e. try to kill each other and the AI).

mid-size powers:
      Castille - 3 cities (but access to several easy to take barb cities)
      Lithuania - 4 cities
      England - 4 cities
      Scotland - 4 cities
      Sweden - 5 cities
      Venice - 5 cities
      Poland - 5 cities

Comment

Sounds very interesting Ozzy. You can count me in to do it diplo-light as you say. As usual, it depends on time availability. Weeknights after 9pm for me (thats 1am UTC) and will be EST soon. Also, I could do weekends same time, but I cannot guarantee my presence for all sessions.
        "You cannot simultaneously prevent and prepare for war" - Albert Einstein
        Eternal Ruler of the Incan Empire in the History of The World 5 Diplomacy Game. The Diplogame HotW 6 is being set up.
        Citizen of the Civ4 Single Player Democracy Game JOIN US!
        Wanna play some PBEMs!?

Comment

Ok, well I'm gonna say that HOTW6 takes priority for scheduling. So lets wait until you guys find a time for that first, and then we'll find a time for this game.

Comment

this sounds pretty interesting - I think I'd like to give it a try.

Does anyone know if everyone needs to download all the files or just the host.

Comment

Which way of playing interests you?

Comment

either way - its really gonna depend on how playable it is. In Civ II some scenarios were pretty cool - others I hated.

Comment

This is funny because years ago Chris and I were thinking of two potential diplogame scenarios; the Thirty Years War, and Hellas; Battle for the Greek World. Where we would get diplogamers to take up the thrones of the nations in the Thrity Years War or the Greek City States. I thought at the time they were good ideas, but we wanted to make the scenarios ourselves, and after getting VERY close to finishing the Greek one, I had to quit civilization for a while.

So, I think this could be a great scenario to play a diplogame in. I don't mean this SHOULD be a diplogame, I'm just saying it looks like it would be in the same vein as the two I mentioned above. Unfortunately this game would call for 18 to fill it, and in Civ2 we only had room for seven, so it will probably be hard to find all 18 players. Obviously you would have to allow full conquest in this game, but I don't think diplomacy has to take a back seat at all. Especially if you follow Chris' (GNGSpam) theories on Diplogames, which treats them more Machiavellian than our running theories.

I don't know I am just running my mouth.

Peace.
                  "Our cause is in the hands of fate. We can not guarantee success. But we can do something better; we can deserve it." -John Adams

One Love.

Comment

Yea, i deifnitely think its well suited for a true diplogame. I'm just proposing "diplo-light" for selfish reasons that I don't have enough time or energy to devote to posting stories for two diplogames at one time. I throw too much of myself into diplogames to handle more than one.

The mod that this scenario uses is pretty nice and so far there have been 3 scenarios made using it. One in 1092, another in 1360's, and another for Napoleon. The mod is versitle and well suited for a 30 years war scenario. Take a look at it Capo.

Comment

btw, the map for the 1360's one:

(though I still recommend we go with 1092 for this game)

I'm playing this one right now in SP, and I've got a cool game going as the Byzantines. They start out in a pretty dire spot at the beginning with just 3 cities and Turks closing in from all sides. But I've been able to drive the Turks out of all of Europe and am now working on retaking Asia Minor. The Roman Empire will rise again!
                      Attached Files

Comment

You guys thinking of starting out today, a test run or something like that?
                        "You cannot simultaneously prevent and prepare for war" - Albert Einstein
                        Eternal Ruler of the Incan Empire in the History of The World 5 Diplomacy Game. The Diplogame HotW 6 is being set up.
                        Citizen of the Civ4 Single Player Democracy Game JOIN US!
                        Wanna play some PBEMs!?

Comment

Naw, I think we should find more people first, and figure out a set time and all that.

Comment

I'd be all for doing a light-diplogaming match, and hopefully a full one if it works well. I fancy the idea of human players using all of the smaller powers, but either way looks like it has it's promises.
                            Frieden, Land, Brot und Demokratie.

Comment

Interesting.

So let's say diplo light is each player onlu posts one status report (one or two paras) per session; plus any graphics with no internal civ storylines. Ie, only a status of gameplay interacting with other civs. Yes?

If we play a mod there is bound to be trouble getting everyone up and running with corrrectly installed files, finding subs at last minute but waiting for them to install etc. In Civ 2 this was a pain but in Civ 4 I'm not exactly sure how it works as I've not played a mod game.

Can we do a test soon?
                              "Old age and skill will overcome youth and treachery. "
                              *deity of THE DEITIANS*

Comment

Working...
                              X