Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I would disable windows firewall completely as having a firewall within a firewall is asking for trouble. Your router has a builtin firewall, but you will have access the software configuration utility and forword port 2056 to your computers internal IP, and that should allow Civ4 to work fine. If you don't have your router's manual post your model and I'll try and find a pdf version of it online.

CS
    Global Admin/Owner
    Civilization Players Leagues
    www.civplayers.com
    http://steamcommunity.com/groups/civplayers steam://friends/joinchat/103582791431089902

Comment

I have a Linksys WRT54GS.

In the setup, its asks for a port range: start to finish. I also asks for a protocol: TCP or UDP. Finally it asks for an ISP address.

The directions also include this line:

"The Port Range Forwarding screen sets up public services on your network, such as web servers, ftp servers, e-mail servers, or other specialized Internet applications. (Specialized Internet applications are any applications that use Internet access to perform functions such as videoconferencing or online gaming. Some Internet applications may not require any forwarding.)

When users send this type of request to your network via the Internet, the Router will forward those requests to the appropriate PC. Any PC whose port is being forwarded must have its DHCP client function disabled and must have a new static IP address assigned to it because its IP address may change when using the DHCP function.

Customized Applications
      Enter the name of the public service or other Internet application in the field provided.

External Port
      Enter the numbers of the External Ports (the port numbers seen by users on the Internet).

TCP Protocol
      Click this checkbox if the application requires TCP.

UDP Protocol
      Click this checkbox if the application requires UDP.

IP Address
      Enter the IP Address of the PC running the application.

Enable
      Click the Enable checkbox to enable port forwarding for the application."

A lot that is above me. I would appreciate any help.

Comment

The Wife and I enjoy playing CIV over our LAN. However we seem to be having connectivity issues later in the game. Windows firewall has been disabled. Patched to 1.61. We run P4 3.0 1gig ram ati 9800. Linksys Broadband wireless router, however we are hard wired. We will be well into the modern age when we become disconnected. Each of our computers say the other one has become disconnected. The vote screen . If we both vote to wait, then we can wait till the cows come home. We are open to suggestions. Thank you

Comment

When you both have the wait, one off you quit to desktop, and then reenter the game, should be able too
          continue
          Hmm........Is this a good idear ?

Comment

By the way, since this thread is still topped, I'd like to comment on Knave's problem: I had some serious connection problems with a Linksys router, that were fixed by simply replacing it with a Netgear one. Now, it's possible I had some setting wrong and changing routers just started me afresh, but I don't think so, and I've heard of other problems with Linksys routers.

So if you have a Linksys router, try changing routers if you have MP problems
            <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
            I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

I was wondering. My friend and I live in a dorm building, we can't seem to get Ip direct connection to work at all. I'm not sure what the deal is. Both have antivirus and Firewall's turned off. Anyone else have any ideas? Getting bored playing myself. Our Ip's are the same with just the last 2 digits being different. Not sure if our entire building is being routered somewhere or not, not sure if that even means anything. Any help would be appreciated.

P.S. I have no way of changing the router settings because I don't know it's net location or even what kind it is.

Comment

Originally posted by jasker
                I was wondering. My friend and I live in a dorm building, we can't seem to get Ip direct connection to work at all. I'm not sure what the deal is. Both have antivirus and Firewall's turned off. Anyone else have any ideas? Getting bored playing myself. Our Ip's are the same with just the last 2 digits being different. Not sure if our entire building is being routered somewhere or not, not sure if that even means anything. Any help would be appreciated.

P.S. I have no way of changing the router settings because I don't know it's net location or even what kind it is.
                Most likely there is some sort of Layer 2 switch that connects all of the dorm rooms within the network, and most network admins, if they were smart, are going to completely block udp traffic to increase network security and decrease network traffic. In otherwords, I think you are fubar.

Comment

I know it's been a long time since this thread was visited, but I've been having some problems with the MP. I'm running Windows XP and have no problems playing the game alone. However, anytime I try to run any multiplayer game, the system freezes and locks up on me after I click on the "OK" button to start the game (following the introduction).

I've tried LAN, Direct IP, and Internet Games and they all do this. I've updated the game, my network card, and have done all of the mentioned port forwarding. Still, the game freezes. Any help would be tremendously appreciated.

Comment

Hi, I am playing with my brother. We played once by direct Ip and everything was alright. We saved the game and went to bed. After a few days, we wanted to continue the game, but we weren't able to connect ether by direct ip or by internet connexion.

We retry an other day, and the game give me this error message: erreur socket réseau. déconnexion et fermeture (sorry I'm playing in french so if I translate it, it will give approximately this) error network port or socket. Deconnexion and closing or shut down.

I am using a D-Link router and I have a cable modem. My brother have only a modem.

So if someone can help me. What can we do.

Thanks for the help, sincerely Chivethan.

Comment

Still bugs with OOS

Hi, and thank you for your help and website.

Still problems with the OOS

The config :
                      2 computers with Vista, DirectX 10 and all update
                      Kaspersky Internet Security (KIS) on both
                      UPD 2056 open in send/receved in KIS
                      All exe files of civ4, beyond and warlord allowed to send/receved TCP & UDP.
                      Civ 4 BTS with 3.13fr patch installed on both computers

Even if I switch off KIS, at the begenning of the game, in 4000 BC... an OOS error :'(

Tested with Internet and LAN.

Do you have any other idea ? Sometimes after many reboot OOS is not shawn, but after few minutes playing it come back

Comment

OOS generally indicates different files on one machine than the other. Often you can get this unintentionally, as many things control the different files - even running the install or the updates in a different order makes a difference.

If you are playing BtS, try turning off random events (one of the options). Random events under 3.13 do not seem to work well in MP in many situations without a particular install order, and most of us find it easier to simply turn them off.
                        <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                        I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

OSS can be caused by a Badly Installed 3.13 Patch maybe remove patch folder completly and reinstall the patch version 3.13 you can get it here somewhere

Comment

help me please

alright ive had civ 4 for over a few months now, ive always played the computer, i havent tried slower speeds yet but i will, but i would like to play real people online but i cant. im using windows vista w/ service pack 1, i hate vista nothing but problems, but anyways whenever i downloaded patch 1.74 the latest and probably last patch they will release i cant unistall the game, a tech with firaxis fixed that problem for me but i still cant play online. everytime i goto the lan games options in multiplayer the manual that comes with civ4 says a lobby screen should pop up but never does for me, then it says the game is having internet socket errors and wont connect. then i try the internet games option and it prompts you to login, i am registered with xfire and gamespy but the game wont let me login, what the hell is going on. i have put civ4 on the exceptions list, i gave civ4 full access but still i cant play online. ive sent emails to firaxis and the civ4 website and am awaiting there response but who knows how long that will take. please somebody tell me what do i have to do to play online, i would really like to play real people and not just the ai(they suck anyways, unless i give them the advantage i win everytime, its getting old). any help will be most appreciated, thank you brandon.

Comment

Well don't pick Lan, Internet games is the one you want. If you can't get past the login screen then the problem isn't with your internet, (i'm guessing) but perhaps with the login. Try creating a new one and see if that works.
                              Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

nope ive tried making another user but that didnt work either. somebody said that i cant because i dont have the expansion packs, i only got the original civ 4 game with the 1.74 patch, but i doubt that because im sure im not the only one who still plays the original and wants to play online you know, almost 15,000 people playing online you think everybodys only playing civ 4 bts, i doubt it i hope. anybody reading these messages please; IF AT ANYTIME YOU HAD A PROBLEM SIMILIAR TO MINE PLEASE HELP!!! everything else checks out, my computer is not the cause you can rule that out, i have a cable modem for my high-speed internet connection that has no separate firewall that would block the game, my firewalls are set to allow full access to civ 4 and the port 2056 UDP is open in my firewall as well so you can rule that out as well, everyother game i play online like battlefield which i still play from time to time plays perfectly online, every god damn fu##ing time i goto the internet games option and sign in using my two sn's nothing happens, it will not proceed after signing in, the game doesnt crash i can exit afterwards it just freezes momentarily but still nothing happens, please help ANYBODY!

Comment

Working...
                                X