Sit, roll over, Go to war for me!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sit, roll over, Go to war for me!

I played a noble, tiny map, normal turns on one land mass. I played as the Arabs. I had Russia and the Japanese to contend with. It was pretty uneventful most of the game. I was mainly trying to get better aquainted with culture. On a tiny map the borders didn't take long to touch and Peter had probably 60% by the middle ages. I didn't want war at all so I was Mr. Nice Guy the whole game. I did turn down a couple of "crazy" requests along the way. Peter's military was quite powerful (spreading religion and having them adopt is a free spy)

I suppose my culture machine (not the best) kept him pushed back. I had no army. 6 cities and one garrison unit (Archers) per. As I was approaching the modern age I knew that there wasn't any way to win via culture and military was out of the question. I finished Gunpowder research (80 turns) in around 1985. I founded all 7 religions as well. That is some MAJOR money!! Missionaries are very cool.

With 40-50 turns left I said what do I do now? Tokugawa had a small empire compared to Peter and I. No amount of bargaining was going to get me a Diplo victory. I went to Peter and asked if he would go to war with Tokugawa. I had 20+ positive on the diplo screen from being Mr. Nice Guy. Peter agreed and it wasn't long before I had tanks rolling through my territory on their way to Tokugawa. Perhaps there were other options but this is what came to mind at the time.

I then queued up some settlers. When Peter would raze/capture Tokugawa's cities I'd immediately create a city close by. And with the culture machine still working it would expand pretty quickly. I did this 3 or 4 times and in the end I got a slim Time victory. Peter had been in the lead on the scoreboard for thousands of years. To be honest I'm not entirely sure what gave me the time victory. But it was cool to see the borders expand almost every turn.

devfrag

cool, how did you keep peter from backstabing you?

i know that if you are mister nice guy, you dont get attacked very much. but if your millitary is so weak, itr is almost inevitable that someone will atack you. props on pullin out the win though

archers in industrial though? lol

Comment

Originally posted by wardhali
      cool, how did you keep peter from backstabing you?
      Good question. Only thing I can figure was the 20+ positive on the diplo screen. I made him happy enough over the millenia? He laughed at my military prowess and decided it wasn't worth his time? Maybe someone with more knowledge can comment on this?

Originally posted by wardhali
      archers in industrial though? lol
      I did a little math on this. If the first archer was created in ~3000 B.C. Say every 20 years or so for the next generation. And assuming every generation had at least one son. The name could be Robin Hood the CCLII.

devfrag

Comment

I did a little math on this. If the first archer was created in ~3000 B.C. Say every 20 years or so for the next generation. And assuming every generation had at least one son. The name could be Robin Hood the CCLII.

Comment

I have NEVER seen a friendly civ go agressive, nor pleased WITH open borders. they consider you allied and wish to keep you that way. I have had pleased without open borders attack though.
          --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?...So with that said: if you can not read my post because of spelling, then who is really the stupid one?...

Comment

Working...
          X