X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ajbera
    Sound cuts out during Wonder movies.

Diplo animations are a bit choppy.
    I get this too...What are your system specs?
    Let Them Eat Cake

Comment

Oh, and I had trouble getting the CD's out of the stiff cardboard cd folder. (heheheh)
      Let Them Eat Cake

Comment

Yes you can just right click their "heads" like the post above suggests. However the thing that seperates Civilization from other games is that it has always seemed "Epic" in proportions. Civ 4 seems more like Age of Emipres and Rise of Nations than Civilization games of the past.

I know people who play those games have been saying Civ is to slow to play but thatt's exactly what I have enjoyed about it. Civ has always represented a thinking person's game. Not mindless build and kill like the two games I mentioned previously. I am not bashing the game as I am expressing extreme disapointment. If Sid Meir;s were dead he would be spinning in his grave.

Comment

But the most negative thing about CIV IV so far is

I CAN'T GET ENOUGH SLEEP!!!

I hope they will fix it in the next patch (not)
          The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so
          certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.
          -- Bertrand Russell

Comment

Originally posted by playshogi
            1) You can't contact the other civs after pressing F4. You get the Civ3 like diagram, but clicking on the leaderheads doesn't work. You have to go to the main screen, and click on the leader's name in the lower right hand corner.

2) While loading my previous save, you can read a hint. One of the hints was "Don't start a land war in Asia."
            For all the tiptoeing around religions Firaxis did, you'd think they would also keep their political views out also.
            1) You can right-click (or is it left click?) on the portrait of the leader and it opens up the dialogue.

2) "Don't start a land war in Asia" is a comment about the vast size of the continent, and the historical difficulties encountered with people trying to conquer it. As was said of Napoleon, when he tried to invade, "He has half a million men. I have distance, and winter." It is not any kind of a political comment what-so-ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Mace
              I get this too...What are your system specs?
              P4 1.8 overclocked to 2.4
              1 GB RDRAM
              GeForce FX 5900 w/ latest drivers
              SB Live
              Win XP Pro SP2

Comment

P4 1.8 overclocked to 2.4
                1 GB RDRAM
                GeForce FX 5900 w/ latest drivers
                SB Live
                Win XP Pro SP2
                Ah. I have P4 1.8 overc'd to 2.0
                512 RDRAM
                GeForce3 w/64 mb and pretty new drivers
                SB audigy2
                WinXP home sp2

Maybe we don't have enough cpu? Or not enough vid mem?
                Let Them Eat Cake

Comment

Many new programs don't like overclocked PC's. Not saying that's the problem but seeing as you both do, it may be worth a shot reverting back to default.
                  Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                  Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Actually I'll have to check to see if I'm presently overclocking. I may have it turned to 1.8...

You wouldn't think, with a SB Audigy2, that you would have choppy sound on the movies. It's not like it's a SB Live from 1999 or something. Maybe there is a conflicting process...FW was disabled.
                    Let Them Eat Cake

Comment

Originally posted by Mace

Ah. I have P4 1.8 overc'd to 2.0
                      512 RDRAM
                      GeForce3 w/64 mb and pretty new drivers
                      SB audigy2
                      WinXP home sp2

Maybe we don't have enough cpu? Or not enough vid mem?
                      that vid card is not good enough probably... that's my guess...
                      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

first thing is to get rid of the geforce.

I upgraded my 64mb card to a geforce 128mb and it was so choppy it was unreal...

Now, I have tried two different ATI cards and both have worked much better than the geforce.

The best wone works flawlessly and is an ATI radeon 9200 128mb for only $100USD.

I have finally figured out that my CD I got is just fine, as I tried it on another computer, but on the computer i use civ4 locks up every single time afte I start a game, then I have to reboot.

i have a 52x cd-writer too, so I don't know why the game doesn't like it.....

Comment

Originally posted by playshogi
                          2) While loading my previous save, you can read a hint. One of the hints was "Don't start a land war in Asia."
                          For all the tiptoeing around religions Firaxis did, you'd think they would also keep their political views out also.
                          It's not just good advice, it's a quote from Princess Bride.

Comment

Originally posted by duodecimal

It's not just good advice, it's a quote from Princess Bride.
                            Beat me to it.

I remember that when WarCraft 2 came out, there was a tip dialogue which would pop up at the start of a game, and one of the tips was "never pet a burning dog." I've always had more respect for companies what put little easter eggs like that in their games.

In that same vein, though, I'm a little bit disappointed that Civ 4's leaders don't seem to ever treat you with respect. It's always this snarky "we're such great friends, I hope I don't have to kill you for another thousand years!" stuff. It can be colorful... in small doses. But when my closest ally is making veiled references to grinding my cities to dust 'neath the treads of his tanks, it's just annoying. I didn't like it in Civ 3, and I don't like it in Civ 4. Aretha Franklin knows what I'm talking about!

Also, I've caught a few typographical errors (especially, unfortunately, in the tutorial) here and there, which irks me just a little. I'm a perfectionist about that kind of stuff, but I know it's almost impossible to catch everything of that sort in the initial release. No doubt it'll be eliminated in future patches.

Oh, and what's up with the mislabeled CDs? That's kind of a glaring oversight. On the plus side, it won't be long before Firaxis changes that, and those of us with the Opposite World CDs will have genuine collector's items!

Comment

A couple of points for me.

First, in my first game, I'm in 1710 and there has been no conflict except for one war I started. Seems that the aggression level in this Civ is very low. Too many civs locked up tight with each other not to have it. Interested to hear whether others notice this as well. Playing on chiefton level.

I noticed that in the discovery of Animal Husbandry announcement, Nimoy botches the text by pronouncing "kine" as "kind". Just an annoyance when I heard it, since it makes Leonard seem not too sharp.

The game also constantly urges me to build workers, yet I'm inundated with them already and have several in sleep mode. I wondered if there was some advice there, but after many years passing I don't see the need for workers like the AI does.

For some reason, I have not been entranced by Civ like I have in past Civs. Very odd because I liked all that I heard about this new version. Maybe it's just me...

Comment

Sound cuts out during Wonder movies.
                                Yep, I get this too.... but not only the sound, but the vids are choppy as well. This isn't for every single one (Stonehendge for example is fine) but most.

System specs:

Gigabyte K8NPro-SLI motherboard
                                Athlon64 3500+ Venice
                                Geforce 6600GT
                                2gb memory
                                System Drive is RAID0

The only thing I have that's not that great is I'm using the onboard sound. I just got this system up last week, and haven't installed my Audigy card yet. Perhaps that's the problem?

Running latest Nvidia forceware drivers....

I've also noticed an issue where if I pull back to earth view, I get some really messed up horizontal banding across the viewable (not the black part) map. Once I zoom in to a certain point, it's fine... Sounds like a graphics driver issue to me, but who knows.

Newt

Comment

Working...
                                X