No announcement yet.

AU101 - Holier Than Thou

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I may have to give this one a spin this weekend.

Thanks Z_X
    *"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

Comment

I'm gonna give this a go after I finished my current game; my first AU course. Looks fun, and it should be an easy one for me to get into as I often find myself playing a religion-heavy strategy. Makes cultural expansion, diplomacy, and economics so much easier.
      "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
      "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Hey everybody... just wanted you to know that I'm still alive, still playing.

Just finished AU101... FINALLY, playing in bits and pieces over the last month. I will be posting my DARs/AAR shortly (I hope), but will say first off that I failed my initial goals (found all religions, cultural win, etc. etc.). Instead, my reports will generally be under the theme of:

How Theseus Learned to Love Jihad!!!
        The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

BTW: you have explained in very general terms what a DAR is, but you never did provide a link to the post explaining the format and expectations.
          In a minute there is time
          For decisions and revisions which a minute will reverse.
          - T. S. Eliot

Comment

also. what is the policy on restarts? I tried it out on prince difficulty and played through to about 940AD (or was it 490AD??). Anyway, i save and stopped at that point because I was off to a good start but was not sure where to go from there.

I see a couple possible approaches from there and I'd really like to try out all of them....
            - T. S. Eliot

Comment

jdchambe; the AU is all about learning, so if you want to restart with a different approach, go for it! Just make sure to tell us all what it was and how it worked out!
              I make movies. Come check 'em out.

Comment

thanks. as for the starting state of this game: i have never seen a better opening position for a opening with a religion grab...
                - T. S. Eliot

Comment

well. it turns out I only played one path through. I decided to go for a diplomacy victory since making friend was easy once I had control of all 7 religions...

my other thought was to go for culture but also focus on diplomacy to avoid wars.

anyway. I put a lot into culture for three of my cities anyway, even though I was going for diplomacy. that was a back up plan in case diplomacy didn't work out.

in the end diplomacy didn't quite work out because one of the 3 AI players that I had in my defensive pact quadrangle, ended up being the player I had to run against in the election. That was not expected. The Inca had the highest population just two turns before I finished the UN. If I had to run against the Inca, the other three in my defensive arrangement all were Friendly and would have voted for me, and it would have been enough to win. But Catherine edged up ahead of the Inca on population just as I finished the UN and she ended up being my chief competitor. That ruined everything because I was planning on her being my primary source of votes in the election. **grumble**

I ended up having to pump everything I could into the culture of my three main cities at that point to try end edge in a late culture victory. I got a late start on the full culture rush (didn't switch from 100% science to 100% culture until after discovering computers...). But I did pull it off, just barely. I'm pretty sure Catherine would have finished the space ship if it had taken me much longer. Dropped three culture bombs in my 3rd culture city all at once to win the game.

If I'd focused on culture from the start I could probably have hit the culture victory a bit sooner, but oh well.

So where to I put my saves, and how to I go about writing up a more complete DAR??

thanks!
                  - T. S. Eliot

Comment

This thread http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...hreadid=107139 has some good examples of DARs. You can simply start a thread for your own, and upload your saves and pics there.
                    I make movies. Come check 'em out.

Comment

I've been playing AU 101 over the last few days, and just finished it yesterday. Would anyone be interested in an excruciatingly detailed log of the game (12 pages in Microsoft Word), or should I stick to just a more conventional DAR? Unfortunately, I don't have much in the way of screenshots or saves to take screenshots from; I wasn't thinking about that as much as I could have while I was playing. (The way my log came about was that I have my old Athlon 900 set up beside my good computer so I can keep a log without having to task switch - something Civ IV isn't good at at all.)

Comment

Working...
                      X