AU 100-A DAR 5: The Renaissance Era

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AU 100-A DAR 5: The Renaissance Era

This DAR covers events in AU 100-A as players play through the Renaissance Era, ending when players enter the Industrial Era. I won't keep posting reminders of what kinds of things it's useful to report; see the previous DAR if you don't remember.

Prince Difficulty, 1505 AD

In the year 1180, just one turn into the Renaissance Era, two important things happened. First, word reached America that the Mongols had declared war on the Arabs. Since the Mongols were the civilization with the widest borders with America, and the Arabs also had an adjacent city and were the ones that hated America most, the war seemed like a good omen for America’s security. On the other hand, there was a real danger that demands for aid that America was neither interested in giving nor prepared to give would hurt diplomatic relations. The second big event was the discovery of England by one of the caravels. Having been isolated for so long, England was horribly backward, so America gave them Horseback Riding as a gift in order to improve relations.

Archimedes completed Versailles in 1270 AD. A decade later, Lord Nathan’s gamble researching Printing Press before Liberalism paid off with the discovery of Replaceable Parts as a free technology.

In the year 1310, America’s gamble working with minimal defenses fell apart. Spain declared war, with four macemen, a longbowman, and a spearman approaching Los Angeles. The best America could do to defend the city was to upgrade its archer defender to a longbow and hope that the unit would at least do some significant damage before it died. In the meantime, however, a gift to Bismarck opened his mind to being bribed to open up a second front against Isabella. Two border cities started producing additional longbowmen in hopes of making sure Los Angeles would be the only city Spain could take, and other cities would soon start producing forces to punish the dastardly Spanish. Lord Nathan also ordered the sacrifice of a great merchant (which had just come from discovering Economics) and a great engineer in order to trigger a golden age to boost war production.

Spain razed Los Angeles at a cost of only one maceman, which was really painful. However, defensive preparations continued, and in 1340, America got some additional help. The Mongols made peace with the Arabs and were willing to join the crusade against Spain in exchange for some technological assistance.

Around 1420, shortly after the golden age ended, Lord Nathan ordered a transition to Free Speech, Free Market, and Free Religion. During the war thus far, America had researched Gunpowder, Rifling, and Chemistry, and three riflemen were on their way toward the front lines to mount an invasion of Spain. Later, America researched Navigation in order to open up possible trades with England, with a result of bringing in some fish.

American forces marched into Cordoba in the year 1490, shortly after Spain and Germany had made peace. A new city, Detroit, was founded near the ruins of Los Angeles. Shortly after, in 1505, America discovered Steam Power and entered the industrial era.

During the Renaissance, America’s enormous size and economic muscle translated into a five-tech lead over Egypt. Even in spite of the destruction of Los Angeles, America’s share of the world’s economic power grew, as did its population lead over Egypt. America also became the nation with the world’s largest military and, with eight riflemen to counterbalance the weakness of its obsolete warriors, at least one of the strongest militaries as well.

The adoption of religious freedom improved the diplomatic picture dramatically with most of the other civilizations, since they no longer regard the American people as heathens. America reached +7 with Germany and +6 with the Mongols (both helped by the military alliances), +6 with England, +3 with Egypt, and -1 with Arabia (not good but a lot better than it was), but fell to –10 with Spain. Of course if all goes well, the friction between America and Spain will soon be over - permanently.

In other news, America used a great prophet to build the Temple of Solomon in 1330 and completed the Spiral Minaret in 1360. Not counting religion-specific wonders, America and Egypt are tied at six great wonders each; the Mongols have two; and the Arabs have one.

The screenshot below shows the area where the fighting has been taking place.
    Attached Files

Comment

Monarch Difficulty

One turn into the Renaissance Era, we complete the Spiral Minaret in 1340 AD.

We need to make universities, more troops to station around, and convert our hodgepodge of cities to the state faith of Confucianism.

We start work on our first caravel to sail the seas beyound in 1340 as well.

In 1350AD the heroic epic is done in Boston, and we found our last city planned Houston #14 to get the sheep and whale.

In 1370AD I get another great scientist, for my 4th academy.

In 1400AD with the first to liberalism, I take the printing press, for the extra cash. Next up is Guilds for the knights.

I decide to take free religion so everyone doesnt hate me as much, and of course free speech.

In 1410, Livy rates us as #1 in technology with Saladin, Elizabeth, Bismark, Isabella and Hatshepsut trailing.

I am able to bump up research to 70% again, and Banking is embarked on in 1430AD, and Economics in 1450

Hmm it looks like that batty Isabella is thinking of attacking me with a stack at the Cordova border, I gave her some dyes, maybe she will reconsider.

Economics is finished in 1470, scoring great merchant.
      And Isabella has gotten sensible, and decided not to attack..yet.

Leif Erikson launches his mission toward Thebes.

That wacky Isabella attacked in 1480 alright, too bad she lost her first stack at the Cordova gates

But she is persistant and sends more forces towards Cordova. The defenses are taken down to 22% but her 2 stack assault force is destoyed. But the war, makes me distract production to produce knights, and switch to vassalage and theocracy, annoying for sure.

In 1510, the gunpowder research begins, soon rifles will be here.

In 1525, we start on rifling. After the assault on Cordova fails, and I pillage a few tiles, Isabella is ready to negociate in 1535, and I get some gold and a world map for peace.

So in 1540 we go back to Free Speech and Free Religion, and rifling is finished by 1550, and start on Nationalism.

With 2 great merchants, I upgrade a few riflemen, and it seems I am #1 in military strenght now

The 2nd attack was much better, too bad for her the border towns are heavily guarded.

In 1565 we get Nationalism, and in 1580 Military Tradition, I pump up science to 80%. Next up we will go for railroad.

In 1585 out of the blue Hatshepsut declares war. Her inital attack is repeled from Karakorum and Philadelphia. The decision is to made to pillage her back to the stone age.

In 1600 she lands troops outside of Ligurain. After they pillage a bit, I mop up both galleons worth.

In 1620 AD I reach the Industrial Age with Steel. Pillaging of Pi-Ramses continue and pland are made to raise the city as a lesson.

Comment

Emperor: 760 - 1320 AD (astronomy)

Recap from previous DAR America is at a pivotal moment. Things could go either up or down. Currently 2nd in the rankings, all the other nations are nontheless hostile, being heathens, and regularly make uncomfortable demands. The barbarians have finaly been taken care of, and all threats will now come from the northern borders. Those threats, however, are many.

The situation being dire, economically, millitarily and politically, America has decided that it needs at least one strong friend, either Hatty or Genghis. Whatever the cost. Hatty being the most powerful economically, and Genghis militarily. Since America has a relatively strong economy, Genghis seems like a better option.

A strong economy which needs working on, as it is on 50% science, and still losing money. A great prophet will soon be born, which will help significantly with this problem. Courthouses are also being built, with most cities at -4 to -6 in upkeep costs. The millitary is weak, currently ranked 5th, and this could be a problem if America is invaded.

Start (760 AD) Americans get up in the morning. Go to work, and go to sleep at night, happy in the knowledge that everyone is at war with everyone else and therefore too busy to attack America.

820 AD America is ranked as the largest civ. I think this is in territory, not population. Houston is founded the same year, becoming the spice capital of America, which now counts 11 cities, towns, and insignificant villages (like Houston) which help to make an already dire economy even worse. American rationale is that a bad economy is better than a good economy interspersed with (even more) egyptian cities.

840 AD The hanging gardens are built, marking America's first wonder. If America was ranked as large before, surely now it must be bloated. The wonder will hasten the arrival of the great prophet, who it has been prophesised soon. In many ways this wonder is extremely good, as it adds an extra 11 working population, with no health costs, and no extra city upkeep costs. I have noticed that the AI's rarely try to build it, in spite of it being fast to build, and about 2000 years late.

In another development, Bismarck declares war on Saladin (currently at war with Hatty, who has the highest score). Both Bismarck and Saladin are confu's. I meant confucian, not confused. I, however, am confused: why would Bismarck attack his brother and not me or hatty?

Genghis (my war ally against the spanish) is close to taking Madrid. I have a horse archer in position to vulture it from him, should an opportunity appear, as shown:

860 AD Well...

The picture says it all. Genghis got it with 0.6/6 health left. Lucky bugger, although he deserves it more than me, particularly as I just stood idly by and watched eagerly like a vulture. This war is really quite good, I get to make friends with Genghis and get a good chance of cheap spanish cities. I should try this more often

Note: those Keshiks are particularly useful on land like this, with lots of forests. Good thing they're not being used against America

880 AD
        Taoism is founded a few turns before I get it. Makes little difference as I'm already surrounded by heathens.

940 AD
        Finally! The event that Americans have been waiting for. An event that took 4960 years to happen. A great prophet has been born. Despair changes to hope, gloom to enthusiasm, and the future looks a lot brighter, even though the rest of the world is heathen.

Perhaps fearing Americans' growing enthusiasm (and being backstabbed by his brother Bismarck), Saladin makes peace with hatty. Americas' score has gone up 150 in the past 200 years (thanks to the hanging gardens), whilst Hatty's has actually gone down 50, so Saladin must have taken one of her cities. Good job Saladin!

1010 AD In spite of not being the first to get philosophy, I still manage to trade it for feudalism, metal working (a bit late to get metal working...cough) and construction from Bismarck and Genghis. Only Hatty now has more techs than America, and she's just coming out of an expensive war. It looks like America's not doing so badly after all.

1020 AD Saladin demands drama. He's now (hopefully) weak and drained after two wars. His score is a lot lower than mine anyway. So I tell him to suck some eggs.

1050 AD America captures Cordoba! (helped by Genghis' Kamikaze Keshiks). Truly, this means that America is now invincible. Overconfidence is rife, and babies bloom.

The town is gloriously useless, and surrounded by german and mongol culture, yet it is kept. America wonders whether it can transform the town into a booby trap in case of war - as it is about 20 tiles from the nearest american city, any enemies attacking it will have a long hike if they want to attack America's heartland, allowing plenty of time to build an army.

1070 AD Peace is signed with Isabella, so that war weariness does not kick in. The massive American invasion force consisting of 2 swordsmen (one now dead, one wounded) and 3 horse-archers (one of which died, the other two wounded). The nearest reinforcements are not yet built, and would take 20 turns getting there, and America is clueless as to where the remaining Spanish cities are (having still not explored the continent). All in all, it seems like a good time for peace.

1080 AD With peace signed, and the horse archers healed, America decides to start exploring it's continent. 5000 years after Washington was founded seems like a good time to explore the surrounding countryside

1100 AD Divine right is granted, in return for machinery. Islam having been previously founded in a strange, unknown, foreign and almost certainly heathen land.

1100 AD Bismarck demands divine right. I decide to accept, grudgingly. The relation changes from +1 to +5! Wow! A +4 modifier for 'fair' trade relations. They'll see how fair America's panzer busting marines are

1120 AD America builds the Angor wat, although it has little use for it, pacifism equating suicide on this map.

The exploring horse archers reveal that Saladin has taken 2 cities, one from hatty, and one from Bismarck, in spite of being lower than both in score and fighting both at the same time and being in the middle of them! I am impressed by these arabs. Unfortunately, he's now at peace with them now - and it seems that America is now his worst enemy! Relations with him are at -6, mainly due to religious differences and me refusing his endless demands. If he can do so well against hatty and bismark, perhaps it is time for america to build an army. Forges and the heroic epic are started in anticipation.

1180 AD The horse archers turned scouts become fat and lazy after feasting in all those foreign courts, and decide that map whorring is easier than riding about. The treasury is delighted by this decision, gaining 250 gold.

1200 AD Lizzy finally turns up, and trades optics for some primitive techs. It must really suck being all alone on an island, with not even the welsh or the scots for company

1260 AD America completes the spiral minaret, at the cost of 4 pop (Washington going from a bloated 18 to a healthy 14 pop). After building no wonders in the early parts, America has now decided to go crazy on them, at the expense of an army.

1280 AD Science is up to 90% (though still losing 30/turn), up from 50% 300 years ago. America is puzzled by this inexplicable change, but things are now going right, when before they wern't. No doubt the temple of solomon, spiral minaret, plunder from Cordoba, gold from map whorring and tech whorring, many new courthouses and cottages turning into villages are all helping. Still, the change is radical.

Americas score has also shot up like lightning, whilst the AI's scores have hardly changed at all. This is very strange, particularly on this level.

1290 AD Cordoba revolts and joins the Germans. income goes up to -15/turn (up from -30 the previous turn). What a lot of expense for a small town a very long way away that should have been razed. Good riddance.

1310 AD America is the first to get liberalism, and uses it to get astronomy (Hatty being only a few turns behind). There are some very large islands with resources that could be colonised by Americans, and having galeons a few turns before anyone else will surely help.

1320 AD America revolts and switches to free religion and free speech.

Free speech for the culture - America has decided to flip Hatties' intrusive colonies, which they should do shortly: Boston now chunking out 60 culture/turn, just below washington. The extra town growth will be a bonus.

Free religion for the diplomatic bonus, the AI's all being heathens..and what a massive difference it makes...even better, America is no longer Saladins' worst enemy (though he is still iritated). Hatty has also done a fantastic job spreading christianity throughout jewish America

It's not quite the industrial age yet (being only 1320 ) - but it seems like a good time to pause.

Scores + Diplomacy
        1820 America:
        1308 Hatty: +2 diplomatic relations
        1298 Genghis: +10 diplo! (score up from conquests)
        1286 Bismarck: +7 diplo
        1039 Saladin: -3 diplo
        264 Isabella: -8 diplo - rofl

Take a look at the scores from 760 AD to compare:
        1021: Hatty
        948: America
        863: Bismark
        744: Genghis
        743: Saladin
        410: Isabella

Stats
        GNP: 211, rival average: 95, 1st
        Goods: 136, rivals: 68, 1st
        Crops: 270, rivals: 113, 1st
        Soldiers: 219k, rivals: 294k, 6th
        Land: 1st
        Pop: 924k, rivals: 338k, 1st

Science going at 90%, income now -6/turn and rising.

Summaries

Economy/Science: At the start of this era, the economy was at 50% science, and losing money. There are now more cities, and science has gone up to 90%. This is a radical change. More population working more cottages, those cottages developing into villages. The temple of solomon and spiral minaret. Courthouses, harbours, and money from tech trading. Before America was a bakwards swamp. Now it is an economic powerhouse. What a change!

Population: back at the end of the classical age America was 7th in pop, and now 1st, and 3 times the rival average. What a change! This is due to the hanging gardens, more hooked resources, more cities, more trades and more granaries.

Wonders: There was no chance of being able to build any of the early wonders. No forests to chop, and the strategy to build cities early as close as possible to the AI's all meant that economically and industrially America could not compete. Now it is not only competing, it is dominating, with both GNP and goods being over twice the rival average.

Conclusions What can I say? America has come of age. Between 760 AD and 1310 AD the score has gone from 950 to 1800, without any conquests. This era has been pivotal, more important than any of the previous ones, and most likely more important than the future ones. In this era America has stopped struggling to survive, and started thriving. The changes are profound and fundamental. Perhaps it is due to the race attributes, perhaps to my choice of strategy, perhaps to luck. Whatever the reason, the future looks bright.

Going for victory A diplomatic victory was the goal right from 4000BC. In the classical/medieval age, relations with all the AI's were at best barely positive, and mostly hostile. All of them had heathen religions, with no chance of being converted.

Now, relations with the mongols are a whopping +10, and +7 with the Germans. They are both confucian, and bismark currently has the next highest pop, but with a bit of luck and delicate manoevering at least one of them shoud vote for America. Of course, things will change, wars will happen, the geopolitical landscape will still change, but this option now seems increasingly viable.

As the next few eras progress, America stands to benefit more and more from its traits. When the marines come in, all those civs with creative/expansive traits and early UU's will be at a significant dissadvantage.

The pic below shows the world as America knows it:

Note to the readers It would be nice to have some feedback. Is the DAR too long? Too dry? Is more pics better? What would make it better? What do you think of the strategies employed? Did you find anything particularly interesting? Anything else?
        Last edited by Fireb; November 27, 2005, 18:14.
        The Roman Kings scenario is now ready for play: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...tin.com/forum/

Comment

I like long DAR's - mine are only short because I'm lazy . Keep it up, I'm especially interested in ponderings about grand strategy.
          "As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW

Comment

Prince difficulty, 1160-1645AD

Progress

In 1250AD workers are automated for the first time (they are told to leave my improvements alone, to preserve the mines and farms around Barrack Town).

First war starts with Ghengis attacking in 1350AD. I was only just beginning to militarise, so I think its time for the whole country to go to war. Civics being changed for experience benefits. Ghengis has his Keshiks, so I may lose a city temporarily while I get up to speed. Four turns until Knights though, and that will save me. Pikemen arrive the turn after he attacks. Pity poor Genghis

The initial wave of just four keshiks lasts four rounds. The tide of war turns quickly. It is my duty to put weapons out of reach of this madman! (and take his stuff).

An engineering great person creates the Taj Mahal to assist with production of military units (the golden age provided by this wonder means a massive production boost). The Spiral Minaret completes, freeing up another city to make fighting units. This may be the last time that its practical to switch to +EXP civics.

After 8 turns the first wave attacks Genghis. The nearest town is small, and Genghis *thinks* that he will be attacked here...

Instead, i'm aiming for the larger city with 3 defenders further down the road.

While doing this, the horde of units pictured above leaps onto the nearest city of mine and sacks it. The city was my newest, and smallest, so no big deal. It is refounded in 5 turns. The main assault force doubles back, and is joined on another front in taking the aforementioned enemy city. It has catapults, so forces are divided to take less damage.

In 1550AD the Mongols offer peace and a great pot of cash. Not interested

in 1560AD I take the city and decide that its no longer worth it... i've stunted Ghengis, and I can't afford to absorb any more of his cities (maintenance is now 55). Time has been lost in the science race, and I need to get back into research. We declare peace. Washington now leads the world in most regards.

Its a good time to flush out the military. Old units which have 4 experience points or less are disbanded. Better units get the cash for an upgrade. Some new ones are built to keep my military up above the average for the planet.

14 cities are a part of my empire. All cities are switched to simple building production. Outside of war, i'm aimed for the most expensive scientific discoveries. During war i've chosen either cheap research or military-specific discoveries.

My Barrack Town exceeds expectations by getting access to the Ironworks and gets right to work on it.

My people are producing one quarter of the worlds GNP and Food... but I notice that they're culturally backward. Thats the main goal for the next era. In the long run, I want to avoid war. Can't help but think that I was asking for trouble during this era though, waiting too long to modernise my army.

Comment

Noble Difficulty

The Saga (DAR Links)
              4000 BC - 1520 BC
              1480 BC - Start of Classical Era
              The Classical Era
              The Medieval Era
              The Renaissance Era

Summary...
              My first goal in this stage for technology was to continue improving my research. Liberalism, Astronomy, and Scientific Method all helped along these lines. I also found some other needs to address. Things like Gunpowder, Nationalism, Military Tradition, and Engineering were all sought to help keep the pressing AI off my back. With my point lead increasing, their interest in me peaked as well. Finally, along the way to Astronomy I picked up some seafaring techs so I could explore the ocean around me. I didn't know much about what was outside our continent.

During the earlier part of this era people started liking me more. I implemented civics to remove my state religion (helped AI relations immensely) and tried to improve my empire. Towards the end however, war was inevitable. Spain started it. I swear it wasn't my fault. Nonetheless I started kick Isabella's rear. After one razed city (S of Washington!) and two captured (E of Washington) she offered me peace and gold. I accepted. War is taxing and I still wanted to develop my cities more. My increasing size had taken it's first hit to research rate, still going good at 90%, but I didn't want to build more and more units and take more and more cities to the point of over expanding anyway. It felt good at the time. Such things with the AI though have left me back at middle of the pack relationswise. I've been trying to please most and not horribly offend too many. They are all annoying in their own ways so I can't find a strong ally yet. Now that I'm stronger the Mongols don't scare me quite as much.

I have started the Statue of Liberty also. I've neglected wonders so far, and this is a good one, so Boston (my most productive city) gets to work.

Chronology...
              740 AD - One million souls in the American Empire
              800 AD - I founded Taoism in Boston (I founded Confucianism there also).
              820 AD - Tacitus ranks Most Advanced. I'm #1.
              920 AD - First to discover Liberalism. I take Nationalism for free since it's more expensive and I want it eventually. Gunpowder I'll research on my own.
              940 AD - Adopted Free Speech and Freedom of Religion. AI enjoys me a little more.
              980 AD - Hermitage started in Phillie.
              1040 AD - Gunpowder discovered. Going for Constitution and Democracy.
              1240 AD - Isabella declares war on me.
              1260 AD - Convince Mongols to war with Spain.
              1300 AD - Two million souls.
              1310 AD - Democracy. I adopt Universal Suffrage and Emancipation.
              1340 AD - Capture first Spanish city. Had already razed one crappy one to the south.
              1360 AD - Second Great Scientist born in Washington. Sent to New York to construct an academy.
              1410 AD - Tacitus ranks Most Powerful. I'm #4.
              1450 AD - Spain offers peace and gold.
              1525 AD - Egypt and Mongols make demands.
              1530 AD - Discovered Scientific Method and entered Industrial Era.

Information Rankings...
              Gold - 1
              Prod - 1
              Food - 1
              Soldiers - 6
              Land - 1
              Population - 2
              Approval - 4
              Life Exp. - 3
              Import/Export - 2

Thoughts: I don't like the recent demands by Mongolia and Egypt. I fear war with Genghis might be on the horizon. My point lead has increased to the point I don't want to hand over things for free anymore. If I'm seperated from the pack now, why bring them closer?

With my AI relations it feels like Diplomatic Victory is out. My culture isn't horrible, and I do have decent commerce if I pushed the slider, so a Cultural Victory is remotely possible. I don't think it's the easiest option though. My army was way more developed than Spain's. She had elephants and axemen - I had musketmen and macemen. Conquest isn't my style but if someone like the Mongols brings war to my door, it's the best chance of the three options so far. The uneventful Space Race seems the easiest to me. Though I lack production right now (by my standards, am ranked first as an empire though), my lands should soon have enough towns (with bonuses) to make building parts possible. I have a definite each in research so should be able to have a headstart. Points are always the fallback. Usually something happens before time runs out though.

So Space Race it seems is my best bet. This is what I'll start focusing towards as long as war isn't brought to my lands. Only a major engagement could possibly shift focus. If I need a massive army to go wipe someone out, I might just shift gears and continue that route. Hopefully the next era is peaceful though.

The picture below shows where most of the war with Spain took place. Santiago is barely holding on from the Spanish culture right now. I've rushed two buildings already to get some American thought there. I'm not sure how much more effort I'll apply. This is definitely where a Great Artist would be helpful.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Bobtoad; November 28, 2005, 00:42.

Comment

Noble Difficulty -- Renaissance Era

INDEX

Early Ancient
                Late Ancient -- Brief!!
                Classical
                Medieval: Parts 1 & 2
                Medieval: Part 3
                Renaissance: Part 1
                Renaissance: Part 2
                Industrial
                Modern

Overview:

The decisions I make in this era, and the next, will likely determine how easily the game is won. I have a clear point lead and culture is probably my weakest area, which I had anticipated since it was never a major component in my game plan. On the tech front, Bismarck and I are largely neck and neck. He too has Nationalism and has me outpaced with gunpowder--largely a defensive tech in military terms. He also has music, which I don't, but I do carry drama, banking and Divine Right over him. All in all, we are roughly equal and the world tech leaders.

That leads to my major dilemma as I head into this era--what to do about Isabella? Madrid is fairly rapidly slipping back under her control, inundated with Spanish cultural might. I suspect that she is cranking up the culture slider in hopes of capturing it, along with general border expansion aside; certainly military options are beyond her at this point! Attacking her presents a mild diplomatic issue for me due to Judaism being the state religion of Genghis, Bismarck and Isabella alike. Fortunately I have a wonderful option to counter this! Judaism has spread fairly wide across my lands with only a few westerly cities having avoided conversion thus far. Switching to Judaism will perk up my relations with Genghis, Bismarck and coincidently, Isabella. That means I can attack her outright without my diplomatic relationships suffering with the only real friends America has, Mongolia and Germany.

The key to the whole affair is to quickly capture Isabella's three remaining cities and put her out of the game. Any diplomatic hits will be nulified in the process and I'll also maintain control of Hinduism and Judaism through Madrid. The further incentive to convert is obvious since I can then spy on 29% of the world--it is the most spread religion!

So, the Renaissance directives are clear--America will become religious and a bit fanatical about it (theocracy)--moving to purge the less than pure Spanish cities. The only thing that makes me glum about the whole affair is that my tech will likely take a hit moving into and through a war with Isabella, likely giving Bismarck a firmer position as world tech leader. That isn't so bad, however, as my income will be strong thanks to religion and a broad civilization (assuming I can keep everything in order along the way)--I can probably catch up fairly quickly and even bypass Bismarck through the Industrial as a result.

Let's get started then, shall we?

Part One

1585 A.D. New York start production on forces that will square off with Isabella. Tech rate is at 80% to keep a surplus of income--the money will be necessary since I'll have hopefully overwhelming forces needing supply in Isabella's territory. Better to operate a little slower tech-wise now then to be forced too later.

As well I start to shift existing forces toward the eastern-Spanish bordered edges of the nation in anticipation of the upcoming invasion of Spain. I also decide to convert to Judaism now rather than in so many more turns down the line--the diplomacy hits with Saladin, Hatty and Elizabeth are more than acceptable while it builds with Genghis and Bismarck. Isabella, well it doesn't matter good or bad. Her time is limited.

1590 A.D. Boston is set to manufacture military now as well, even though Versailles had 25 more turns to go. I never really expected that it would finish it anyhow and was hoping for the cash bump equally as much. That'll assist in the upgrade of a few of my more experienced groups and finance the coming war.

Relations with Saladin and Elizabeth have take strong hits due to religion--they are NOT happy campers. Hatty is ticked as well, but she likes my choice in civics which is helping to blunt the diplomatic hit. Naturally Genghis and Bismark relations have improved to a notable degree and everything is on track. The next few turns will become decidedly more militaristic for my cities as well to end this quickly and stay strong in case Saladin or Elizabeth get too fussy.

1595 A.D. Ankgor Wat is built in Boston and the city is put on military production.

1605 A.D. Paper is discovered and I switch to Theocracy now that most production is military-centered.

1640 A.D. May main attacking forces are more or less constructed but I'll continue military unit production to generate reserves and ensure I have some decent defensive units available for any surprises. With that said, my forces are moving in position to start war with Isabella.

On a diplomatic front, Genghis now considers Isabella to be a close friend and I can't convince him to stop trading with her. That makes me hesitate for more of an attacking force to be sure that this will end as quickly as possible. Isabella has a fourth city I wasn't aware of further to her north, Cordoba. That will mean a bit longer of an engagement then I originally anticipated, but merely requires a larger force.

1650 A.D. Hatty requests and open border agreement, which I refuse. Saladin demands Paper from me, which I also reject. He could be a problem despite our distances and with Genghis in between. Saladin had somehow managed to get a city established to my south, though it can't be particularly strong considering the landscape. Still, he has Guilds which means Camel Archers. I produce some pikemen as defenders just in case he manages or decides to attack. I'm not worried that he would think of such a thing at the moment--clearly my military is hulking compared to anyone in the world. Still, it's something to keep in the back of my mind going forward.

Rene Decartes is born in New York--the Great Library is helping to pay off as I work my way through into the later era's. Atlanta looks like a good candidate for an academy--tempting as it might be to spark a golden age with my 2 scientists and the single engineer. I pass on that, again, in favor of a longer term science boost through Atlanta.

|

1655 A.D. War is declared with Isabella and I move to attack her only iron source (that I'm aware of)--the Toledo supply, retaken by her powerful culture war against me. The assault on Salamanca, Isabella's city to my northwest, has the seige begun against it. My borders largely butted up against it so access was quick and easy, it should fall rapidly. Even with sizable forces in her lands, I'm able to maintain 80% science rate while only going into a -2 gpt deficit. I have 80 gold in reserve, due to a couple upgrades of well promoted swordsmen/city attackers. This should all go very quickly I believe.

Astronomy has been discovered and I start on Education, hoping to possibly get to Liberalism first and get a free tech to help maintain my race with Bismarck.

1665 A.D. Diplomatic affairs are showing signs of suffering--Elizabeth cancels our open borders agreement and Saladin cancels our corn for spice trade, both due to me "attacking their friend" in addition to our previous negatives. I'm not worried about this, yet... In further news, Genghis unexpectedly declares war on Hatshepsut! I'll be interested in seeing how that plays out and I fully expect him to request I join him. I'll have to refuse, at least until Isabella is out of the way.

Salamanca has three catapults thrown at it and then maceman after maceman storm the walls, causing it to fall rapidly. It was perhaps one of Isabella's more defended, though less cultural, cities. Fortuantely that permits me to shift even more of my offensive units to the eastern front and, to some extent, I can relax my military building. Two longbowmen are instantly moved into Salamanca, built in anticipation of its quick capture.

| | |

Meanwhile, to the east, the seige of Barcelona begins. I'll throw a few catapults at the city when the time is right, and given that it is a hill city, more than I might prefer. If I can preserve a couple catapults I can quickly move my offensive on to another city, otherwise I may be delayed while I wait for additional cat's to reach the front.

1675 A.D. Barcelona is primed for an assault! Three catapults are thrown at the city and I feel comfortable enough to start the troops climbing through the holes in the walls. The city falls without any casualties, aside from two catapults, and I'm in a keen position to continue the offensive.

I decide to move against Seville, the better defended of her remaining cities. The quicker I can get that to fall, the quicker the entire war will be wrapped up. The capture of Barcelona also results in a -6 deficit, which is bound to only increase though the spoils of war have helped my bankrolls and I can continue without adjustment. Switching to Vassalage may actually result in a lower cost, in part due to Washington's Organized trait and because it would offset my higher unit number maintenance costs. As helpful as it might be, I don't see a pressing need and would rather avoid the turn of anarchy at this time.

1680 A.D. With the exception of New York and Santiago, I've opted for a cycle of non-military building in most cities--Boston has even returned to building Versailles. Massive forces close in on Isabella, some making way courtesy of the open border pact with Genghis; surely without someone's help she is doomed at this point!

Genghis is having success against Hatty, having destroyed Elephantine to his east (or perhaps he has captured it, I can't quite tell). I also notice he has many workers busy so there seems to be no direct threat to his lands from Hatty. I'll try to keep my eye on his success or failure there as I continue against Isabella.

1685 A.D. My supply costs are starting to affect my warchest, threatening to soon force me to 70% tech rate. However, that may be short-lived as the large numbers of troops I have available for the assault against Seville should make short work of things.

1690 A.D. War weariness starts to peek through in Washington, but is countered by moving a maceman into the city to control rioters. Isabella's only source (that I can see) of copper is eliminated by an elephant and crossbowman tag team--killing off a guardian maceman.

1705 A.D. Minor skirmishes flash through Spain as Isabella tries to move units around for defense of her cities and to harass invaders. Troops have finally moved into solid positions to begin the assault on Seville though it may turn into a tough fight, potentially calling for a few reinforcements.

I've hesitated to move more forces into Spain and the attack on Cordoba but I can wait no longer--the increased supply costs hover to a new height once more and I lower the tech rate to 70% to counter the deficit. Yet more troops linger within range of Cordoba but within Genghis' lands while the seige forces are moved into place.

1710 A.D. Somehow I missed it, but Germany had declared war on Saladin! I'm tempted to start a war with him to capture his southern city, which should be a quick affair all things considered, and to get a further boost to diplomacy with Bismarck in the process. As a result, I start to move some units in place for the possibility. Certainly unplanned, but opportunity knocks only so often.

Seville's massive culture, a legendary city (+100%) appears formidable at first, but is quickly being reduced by large numbers of catapults (5 at the scene with more on the way if necessary).

1715 A.D. Liberalism is discovered and I'm the first to arrive--I select Printing Press in order to get a quick bump to my economy thanks to the many towns and villages. I also start on gunpowder with an eye toward border defense in the near future, among other things.

Seville is reduced to 0% defense but I pause the attack in order to throw the full weight of my available catapults at it--the attack will be to the extreme on the next round, but the city is well defended and will need to be hammered hard for this to succeed quickly. Additionally, seige units begin to attack the defenses at Cordoba. That city is not as well defended and should fall more easily then Seville, though even that remains to be seen.
                Last edited by Derelict; December 13, 2005, 08:19.

Comment

INDEX

Early Ancient
                  Late Ancient -- Brief!!
                  Classical
                  Medieval: Parts 1 & 2
                  Medieval: Part 3
                  Renaissance: Part 1
                  Renaissance: Part 2
                  Industrial
                  Modern

Part Two: The Demise of Isabella

1720 A.D. The attack on Seville begins and is nearly repulsed despite fierce damage from all available catapults. In the end, a nearby group of knights finish the deed--previously acting as a "rear guard" of sorts, now turned city attackers--Seville is American!Now only Cordoba remains and the attacking forces are already moving in to start the assault within two turns. It won't be long now!

With the additional cash generated from the capture of Seville, combined with Printing Press, I'm able to tune my tech back up to 80% for the time being.

1725 A.D. Genghis and Hatty make peace with one another even as another war starts in the world--I declare war on Saladin! As suspected (though I didn't know until my attackers moved in), Saladin's southern city was poorly defended and likely won't stand for long. My diplomatic affairs increase with Bismarck as expected and Cordoba will be attacked on the next turn. Things are going more smoothly then I might've even hoped for going into it all.

|

1730 A.D. Cordoba falls and all that remains of Isabella is a quickly fading memory. Saladin's southern city, Goth, is starting to feel the effects of war as well with a solo catapult throwing plague sheep into the fortifications.

|

1740 A.D. Goth is captured and I call up Saladin to see if he might have any interest in peace. Apparently not as he shoo's me away. I decide to move some knights and a stack of city attackers, likely to turn pillager, through Bismarck's land toward Saladin. I have no real designs on capturing any cities and only hope to damage his economy a little, if anything.

|

1745 A.D. I'm moving toward rifling as quickly as possible rather than worry about musketmen to any great extent. I'm going to have to do a major military revamp soon, this amidst restructuring of the northern and recently captured cities as well.

Organized religion might be useful right now but I'm more interested in mending diplomatic relationships a with those who are anything but happy with me, not to mention finding a quick end to the war with Saladin. To accomplish this I switch to the now available Free Religion, and Free Market to get a further boost from my economy. If I can "fix" things diplomatically, at least somewhat, I hope to establish open borders with Hatty and Elizabeth at least for increased trade.

Bismarck beats me to the punch, regarding Saladin, and sues for peace successfully. From the looks of things, he has managed to fairly thoroughly pillage Saladin's eastern empire and capture the city of Kufah--maybe even has bartered for a technology in the course of finding peace.

My main priorities will now turn getting to the industrial era and transforming America into an absolute technology and production powerhouse. With the sheer size of the country I should be able to pursue a modern era victory without too much concern.

With impeccable timing, Aretas III, a great merchant, appears in Washington. I send him off to Berlin in hopes that it'll earn me a nice fat bag of gold--my pursuit of science will definitely get a boost and I may have yet another trick up my sleeve before long.

| |

1750 A.D. I skirmish with camel archers along the east border of Arabia, throwing away the lives of a couple units in the process. Bismarck show's off his cavalry--only a moment earlier they were mere knights! I hope that his tech lead isn't increasing too much on me due to all of this war, but I'll apply fully American might toward research as soon as I possibly can.

1760 A.D. Aretas III arrives in Berlin and nets a cool 1,900 gold--my tech rate is tuned to 90% and a -19 deficit. I don't want to overspend right now solely for tech as I'd like to do some key unit upgrades to save cycles in my cities once rifling is discovered. 90% should be adequate and, possibly, I may be able to reach 100% once I get courthouses and critical buildings in place through the nation.

1770 A.D. St. Augustine is born in Washington and, temporarily placed aside. He'll have his definite use shorty. Copernicus is activated and sent to Philidelphia to create an Academy. Can you see where this may be going?

1780 A.D. Saladin requests peace, attaching 20 gold alongside. I accept.

Across the country I'm turning to builder mode, trying to kick out essential buildings before rifling hits only a few turns away. After that I'm going to have to spend several cycles to get a decent and revamped military in place to secure my holdings before I can turn my attention elsewhere.

1795 A.D. Rifling has been discovered and I start research on Military Tradition to get Cavalry. Checking in on Bismark I can see our relations aren't as strong as I might've hoped, given we have new border issues at hand in addition. He is also spending fairly heavily to try and maintain his tech advantage, that being Cavalry. He won't be able to keep up once I get my military concerns straightened up.

1800 A.D. Amazingly, Versailles is built in Boston--I sure wouldn't have bet on that! Still, it also opens up a good time for me to take a longer pause and check my cities in order to configure for specailists I want going forward--namely engineers and scientists with a city or two shooting for merchants, if possible. Engineers will be most sought after all around.

1805 A.D. One of the nusainces in this game is encountering the effects of long established culture by rival civ's that aren't the same as the civ's city that you have captured. As a perfect example, Cordoba has revolted on me due to the strong and longer established culture of Germany. I did have a temple on the way, and it had but a single temple already as it's only culture generator. I'll have to check back in 5 turns once the revolt is put down to see if the city is salvagable. If not, I may gift it to someone else and let them worry about it while getting a diplomacy boost in the process.

1840 A.D. Military production of Riflemen is in full swing around the country as Scientific Method is discovered and ushers me into the Industrial era. My first priority is to get railroads and a few additional workers out to help travel times across the vast countryside. After that the likely avenue of pursuit will be toward Industrialism, which will bring an earlier UU and let me work on both the Pentagon and factories nationwide.
                  Last edited by Derelict; December 13, 2005, 08:20.

Comment

Prince Level

DAR 1 - Opening
                    DAR 2 - Rest of Ancient Era
                    DAR 3 - Classical Era
                    DAR 4 - Medieval Era
                    DAR 6 - Industrial Era
                    DAR 7 - Modern Era

The Medieval Era finished with me gifting a captured Mongol city to Hattie, which she promptly culture bombs! I take the final Mongol City, Beshbalik, and gift it to Bismark.

With Kahn dead I switch back to Bureaucracy / Caste System and start running specialists in my small GP city on the flood plains. Probably another dumb Civics switch as I was to switch again in 50 years time.

I researched Education then Economics & Liberalism for the freebies, ignoring Gunpowder as I can't upgrade until Rifles, and I have lots of Macemen which are nearly as strong as Muskets, and maybe better in some respects with upgrades. Next is the path through Printing Press, Rep Parts and Rifles. I took Nationalism for the free tech. I would have liked to have deferred tha last turn of Liberalism until ready for a really expensive tech, but Saladin already had Education, and could have been doing Liberalism himself. I switch to Free Market, Free Religion, Free Speech. It turns out that Free Speech was a bit early as my villages were all a fair way from towns. I just get an ideological buzz from switching to the Progressive Civics! Still, the culture won't do any harm Roll on Emancipation!

I finally start the Heroic Epic in my best production city outside the capital, and Shakey's in Washington. I've never built it before, but everyone seems to rate it so I'll give it a go. Most other cities build science improvements, as they are either coastal, have some cottages, or have high-commerce resources. With this building phase I slip back to #4 in Military, so I made a few Muskets to top things up until Rifles. I don't want to build a ton of units that have to be immediately upgraded.

The English (who were Pleased but turned to Cautious) request the gift of Printing Press, which I refuse as I only researched it last turn, and because I'm not in a great mood, and because no-one will even trade me a tech, let alone give me the opportunity to demand it and send them a -1 if they refuse. Having civs Pleased or Friendly doesn't seem to correspond to their willingness to trade anything which isn't obsolete. Anyway, Liz is doing well for an isolated start, in fact she's #2 in tech.

In 1615 I get a missionary into the last English city that 'needed' it. Next turn Bismark completes the Taj Mahal and starts a GA. Question here - is the Taj Mahal worth it? I'll look at that later.

It turned out that Saladin did not have Education earlier - despite what was displayed on the F4. This forced me to grab Liberalism sooner than I otherwise would, rather than opening up are more expensive free tech. I haven't got the hang of the disappear-reappear nature of the techs on the F4 screen and it's affecting my decisions. I know it takes a turn for the next level tech to appear, but I don't think that explains what I'm finding. Anyway, Saladin has Chemistry & Scientific Method, but not Education! Is he on a Physics Beeline?

Lowering the Science Rate for Rifle upgrades (80% Science gave ~100gpt), I proceded through Constitution and Democracy, handily producing a Great Engineer in Washington on the same turn to help with the Statue of Liberty! I switch to Univeral Suffrage and Emancipation, and start on Corporation. Upgrading to Rifles (which takes some time) puts me back into #1 in military, with nearly twice the average GNP, and 2.5 times the average production.

Time for a diplomatic round-up. The screenie below shows the freebie resources I'm supplying.

Bismark +8 (Pleased)
                    Hattie +10 (Friendly)
                    Liz +4 (Pleased)
                    Saladin +2 (Cautious)
                    Isabella - who cares?

However, with my Statue of Liberty project, Salidin immediately cancels the Copper deal, which was smart of him, but my buddy Hattie will fill the void for me.

After Corporation came Chemistry and Scientific Method, with my GP city finally bringing forth fruit in the form of a Great Artist in 1690, the turn before the Industrial Era commences. Together with my 3rd Prophet from earlier (1st = Shrine, 2nd = Add to Shrine City, 3rd = Save for GA) I prepare to launch the Industrial Era with a Golden Age.

Pre GA my Research (@90%) yielded 786 bpt, and during it this rose to 951. GNP rose from 358 to 458 and Mfg rose from 192 to 297. So my GNP rose by 28% and Mfg by 54%. Now compare the total extra Hammers ie: (8 * (297 - 192)) = 840 to the cost of the Taj Mahal, which is 700, and the Taj looks like a lot of work for an extra 140 hammers. Throw in ~800 beakers and it looks better, but certainly not over-powered. I don't fancy calculating the opportunity cost of the Great Artist in my GP city which I used for half my GA but the point remains - GA benefits are not a massive return on investment, especially with revolutions in-an-out-of Civics to get the Great Person(s). Having said that, some high-cottage AI civs do make a noticable tech leap during their GA's.

Next : Industrial Power!

Last edited by Cort Haus; November 29, 2005, 20:22.

Comment

Re: Emperor: 760 - 1320 AD (astronomy)

Originally posted by Fireb
                      Note to the readers It would be nice to have some feedback. Is the DAR too long? Too dry? Is more pics better? What would make it better? What do you think of the strategies employed? Did you find anything particularly interesting? Anything else?
                      I really enjoy your DAR's. Not too long at all, in fact in the beginning mine were just as long, pondering every move of every turn in writing (I significantly edited the first one, as I thought it was too long...trimmed maybe 1/3 to 1/2 of what I wrote). If you've seen my reports though, you'll see that I am somewhat bored with this game because I played at too easy of a level, which is in turn making my DAR's much less in depth. Keep up the good work though, they are fun to read and you make some excellent points.

Comment

Re: Prince Level

Originally posted by Cort Haus
                        In 1615 I get a missionary into the last English city that 'needed' it. Next turn Bismark completes the Taj Mahal and starts a GA. Question here - is the Taj Mahal worth it? I'll look at that later.
                        I tend to think that the Taj Mahal, or a late game excess of great people, are the only reasons to start a golden age. It seems that there are so many other more pressing uses for the great people, and even a super specialist is probably better than a GA unless in the late game, that it isn't worth the cost to generate them. Also, there is the escalating cost for each GA. I don't have any hard numbers, just the feeling that I have gotten more out of my specialist's using them in other ways.

Comment

warlord

DAR 1: 4000 BC - 1520 BC
                          DAR 2: 1480 BC - Beginning of Classical Era
                          DAR 3: Classical Era
                          DAR 4: Medieval Era
                          DAR 5: Renaissance Era
                          DAR 6: Industrial Era
                          DAR 7: Modern Era

Ugh, 3 in a row. Sorry everyone, didn't mean for it to work this way.

At the start of the Renaissance I am almost 1000 points ahead of Hatshepsut, my closest competitor, and first by far in every F9 category. My goal for the rest of this game is to win a space race victory as quickly as possible. Thus, I will beeline for spaceship techs.

1160 AD: I am working on building infrastructure throughout my cities. I also start a settler, because I have an open space south of New York. I am working on Replaceable Parts, and next will start on Education so I can build universities.

1200 AD: I found Miami, what I think will be my last founded city. I start on a lighthouse, as it is another coastal city.

1230 AD: Washington spawns Saint Peter, a great prophet. Since I already have shrines for Hinduism and Judaism, my two main religions, I decide to use him as a super specialist in Washington. I am not sure about how super specialist's work, so I figure this is a good use of a prophet that I have no other use for.

1260 AD: I finish Liberalism, take Rifling as my free tech (I am so far ahead it's not worth it to research myself) and start on Economics. I am very close to changing civics, but I need Communism and Democracy. I now make 50 gold a turn at 90% science. It feels like Washington's traits are kicking in very much so at this point.

1330 AD: My great merchant from Economics arrives in Thebes, and will give me 1500 gold. I plan to use the money to upgrade my army to much more modern units. The trade mission plus the 700 plus gold I had built up allow me to upgrade all of my warriors to riflemen. As soon as I can, I'll upgrade the masses of archers and spearmen I have.

1350 AD: I find the mysterious 7th civ, the English! They have an island to themselves, but are middling in score in 4th place.

1360 AD: The Mongols come offering Theology and 10 gold for Philosophy. I see no reason to say no, and it helps me with anything that I might need Theology for....at the least it will add to my score. I also finish the Hagia Sophia in Boston.

1410 AD: Machiavelli ranks me number one most advanced, not surprisingly.

1440 AD: I enter the industrial era with Scientific Method. I have Communism queued next, after which I will make some major civics changes that should last most of the rest of the game.

1470 AD: I finish Ankgor Wat at Atlanta. I don't really need it, but I just didn't have anything to build there. I will have Communism in one turn, and then I will finish this DAR.

1480 AD: I finish Communism, and it's time for a revolution. I switch to emancipation, state property and pacifism. I also get a great scientist, which I am not sure if I will use as a super specialist or to make an academy. Here are a couple of screenshots:

Last edited by chriseay; November 30, 2005, 11:15.

Comment

Noble difficulty

DAR1
                            DAR2
                            DAR3
                            DAR4
                            DAR5
                            DAR6
                            DAR7

Another sparse page of notes, although not as sparse as later DARs for this game of mine.

A couple of turns into this era and I find out that I'm the most powerful! This surprises me as I think my military is so weak that a couple of workers would be able to come in and take over my empire...

Armed with this news (and a few war elephants), I take over the Mogol city of Old Sarai, without too much hassle. Decide to try and take over more Mogol cities, but I seem to have made peace without realising it. Must've clicked the wrong option...

Things progress quite.. dull really, from here on out I just developed all my cities. I was unsure how I wanted to try and win this one, left it too late for conquest or domination to be options, unsure if I'd be able to get a cultural win either, so I try and go for a UN victory, seeing as I've not had one of them before (in fact only had one in hundreds of Civ3 games). The rest of the era was spent building up my relationships and cities, as well as researching like a king!

No screenies to attach, nothing that interesting for you to look at, really.
                            Last edited by Morrissey; November 30, 2005, 06:27.
                            Random signature generator - Press Ctrl & W to see more!

Comment

My notes for this era are not too good. Here are the only three notes I took:

1460 – Taj Mahal completed, GA begins, switchover to Free Market complete.

1500 – Liberalism discovered, take Constitution for free, switch over to Representation (anarchy) – DOH! During my GA!! Idiot!

1625 – Industrial Era begins.

During this time I sent missionaries over to convert every English city, and I built several cities on the islands I had discovered. And I did a whole heckuva lot of research and peaceful building.

Ah-hah, but I can save this DAR, because now I have screenshots (see below).

-Arrian
                              Last edited by Arrian; December 1, 2005, 09:19.
                              grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Working...
                              X