No announcement yet.

Initial Civ IV AU Courses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, the AI is not half bad at the Space Race this time around.
    And her eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming...

Comment

Not bad at all. Three techs up on me, I can't prebuild and I can't trade/buy those techs. I really don't think I can catch them. And the AI seems to be punching out more late GP's than I am. I've had two GP-fueled golden ages, but maybe I blew 'em too early.

-Arrian
      grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

A Great Library by any other name is still...

Comment

The internet, you mean. Here's the problem: only ONE AI civ has the techs I need and is going to beat me. I'm ahead of all the other AIs (there is one civ that has 1 tech I don't, but I don't think it's a space-race tech... communism?).

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Well, then, you're cooked.

Comment

I've lost all three of my games in the Space Race I think a lot of it stems from my (mis)use of Great People. I had the tech lead, but my Great Prophets proved almost useless in the modern era, while the AI was clearly using Great Scientists and Great Engineers to hoof it past me. Isabella discovered rocketry and had the Apollo program built in the span of 2 turns, while I was chugging along 15 turns behind her...
              I make movies. Come check 'em out.

Comment

Heh Arrian, I hope that your new life is not hurting you too much. get your GF onto the new game, nad away it goes...

Oh, and try beating the AI to a space ship victory at OCC. The game only takes about 6 hours or so, but the AI eats me alive every time...even on Noble...
                You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
                  I assume you can use a map that's already been generated - like the map I'm currently playing on? It's a solid start location, but not at all without its challenges. It's quite the balanced map, I feel. I think it would work quite well for an AU game. Standard across the board, including world size, Nathan

If I access the worldbuilder, can I load up that map, start a game in each difficulty and save it... and *presto* I'm done, or is there more to it?
                  Actually, the easiest way would just be to use WBQuickSave.Civ4WorldBuilderSave (in My Documents\My Games\Saves\WorldBuilder), which is the 4000BC "scenario" of the last game you've started. (WBAutoSave is the scenario of the last turn in that you've played.) Rename it so it doesn't get confused/overwritten by world builder saves on the player's machine. Then let the player start up their game by opening that world builder save in Single Player->Play a Scenario. They could choose difficulty and game speed.

They can also choose which civ to play by default, which in some cases might be fun. To disable that open up the world builder save in a text editor and for each civ you don't want to be playable change the following value to 0:

Code:
                  BeginPlayer
                  	Team=0
                  	LeaderType=LEADER_NAPOLEON
                  	LeaderName=Aeson
                  	CivDesc=French Empire
                  	CivShortDesc=France
                  	CivAdjective=French
                  	FlagDecal=Art/Interface/TeamColor/FlagDECAL_FleurDeLis.dds
                  	WhiteFlag=0
                  	CivType=CIVILIZATION_FRANCE
                  	Color=PLAYERCOLOR_DARK_BLUE
                  	ArtStyle=ARTSTYLE_EUROPEAN
                  	[b]PlayableCiv=1[/b]
                  	MinorNationStatus=0
                  	StartingGold=0
                  	StartingX=11, StartingY=7
                  	StateReligion=
                  	StartingEra=ERA_ANCIENT
                  	CivicOption=CIVICOPTION_GOVERNMENT, Civic=CIVIC_DESPOTISM
                  	CivicOption=CIVICOPTION_LEGAL, Civic=CIVIC_BARBARISM
                  	CivicOption=CIVICOPTION_LABOR, Civic=CIVIC_TRIBALISM
                  	CivicOption=CIVICOPTION_ECONOMY, Civic=CIVIC_DECENTRALIZATION
                  	CivicOption=CIVICOPTION_RELIGION, Civic=CIVIC_PAGANISM
                  	Handicap=HANDICAP_NOBLE
                  EndPlayer

Comment

Ok, cool. I just finished that game and I'm happy I saw your post before starting a new one!

Incidently, I squeeked out a win. JUST. I managed to get the Space Elevator built (helped by a great engineer) and nailed the last piece before the AI. I think they were 1 away, so it was a matter of a few turns.

-Arrian

edit: I should clarify one thing. I was behind 2 spacerace techs, not 3. The 3rd was communism, which wasn't important. I caught up partly by running science in about 1/2 my cities, and partly due to my production advantage.
                    Last edited by Arrian; November 1, 2005, 09:24.

Comment

Hrm. It won't let me upload or attach the worldbuilder file. It claims it's an invalid file type. I think because it's labeled a .worldbuildersav instead of just a .sav file.

Should I change it to .sav to get 'poly to accept it?

-Arrian

Comment

yeah, just change the file name to .sav, and poly will accept it...
                        You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
                          Hrm. It won't let me upload or attach the worldbuilder file. It claims it's an invalid file type. I think because it's labeled a .worldbuildersav instead of just a .sav file.

Should I change it to .sav to get 'poly to accept it?
                          Why not just zip it up. A smaller download, and people won't have to mess with the extension again to load the scenario.

Vovan
                          XBox Live: VovanSim
                          xbox.com (login required)
                          Halo 3 Service Record (I fail at FPS...)
                          Spore page

Comment

oh and for those testers that don't have the game yet , will the game still run with this WBsav?

Comment

That I don't know, Krill, but I kinda doubt it.

Vovan - good idea. I'll do that tonight.

-Arrian

Comment

Aeson,

Actually, the easiest way would just be to use WBQuickSave.Civ4WorldBuilderSave (in My Documents\My Games\Saves\WorldBuilder), which is the 4000BC "scenario" of the last game you've started. (WBAutoSave is the scenario of the last turn in that you've played.) Rename it so it doesn't get confused/overwritten by world builder saves on the player's machine. Then let the player start up their game by opening that world builder save in Single Player->Play a Scenario.
                                I noticed something last night. I was playing my 4th game and I made a mistake - I call this "bad driving" (when you click on a button you didn't mean to click). So I tried to back up one turn by using the WBAutoSave - loading it as a scenario. Everything worked (except that the "mistake move" had already been made somehow) but the date counter started at 2000AD. I didn't notice it for quite a while, but I think I'm now in like 2200 AD or somesuch (really in the renaissance). Bug?

-Arrian

Comment

Working...
                                X