What to do with AU?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do with AU?

This is a follow-up to Lord Nuclear's thread, Apolyton University: Expanding Its Roots.

Why have you bothered me!?

My goal here is to throw out some ideas I have for updating AU for CIV. With these ideas I also have a lot of questions, so please feel free to post feedback. AU is not an exclusive club of strategy experts; it's as much yours as it is mine or anyone else's, and you can participate as much or as little as you like.

Let me just say that personally I'm very excited about AU in light of the upcoming release of CIV. When AU was first created, Civ3 had already been available for quite some time and on the whole players at Apolyton had played it quite a bit. So, although a lot of people learned of Civ3 strategy via AU in those days, AU was never really there for the original process of discovery. It's my hope that, this time, AU will not only help players perfect their game, but also take their first few (many!) steps as well.

So, what does AU do, exactly?

At it's most basic level, Apolyton University "produces" two things:

a. A series of thematic games designed to teach various aspects of Civ3 gameplay.
    b. A mod (the AU mod) for "enhanced" gameplay.

It also "provides" something, namely:

c. A forum for reporting and comparing thematic games.

I think it's uncontentious to state that #1 and #3 form the "core" of AU, and should make the transition to the CIV version. Let's discuss #2, the mod, in a little bit.

Ok, so how do these "thematic games" work, anyway?

The idea is simple: every month or so, a game is posted for all to play. Since the point of AU is to learn about the game and not (directly) to compete with other players, you can play at any difficulty level you like.

When you're done or while you're playing, you can come back to the forum and (optionally) post a report of your game for all to see. By posting your report and reading those of others, you will develop awesome CIV skills!

As those who frequent CFC may know, this is a lot like the GOTM games. The key difference between the two is that one is competitive, the other is not. This is most obvious from the fact that you can play AU games at any difficulty level you like.

But I like getting a score and comparing it to that of others, why is AU against that?

Personally, I'm not. I think a ranking system is a good idea. Here's a draft of what we could implement:

For playing an AU game ("course"): 3 points
    For achieving a victory condition: 2 points
    For playing the game more than once: 2 points

For posting a report: 1-3 points
    For actively/constructively posting in other peoples' reports: 1-3 points

For completing a course on Chieftain difficulty: 0 points
    Warlord: 1 point
    Prince: 2 points
    Monarch: 3 points
    Deity: 6 points

For playing 3 consecutive AU games: 2 points
    For playing 5/6 consecutive AU games: 4 points
    For playing 8/10 consecutive AU games: 6 points

For winning the "most interesting report" award: 3 points
    For winning the "most entertaining report" award: 3 points
    For winning the "most helpful" award: 3 points
    For winning the "most innovative" award: 3 points
    For winning the "most impressive overall" award: 5 points

etc.

Obviously the exact numbers need some tweaking, and we could add or drop some categories altogether.

Points would be tallied and kept in a AU "Hall of Fame" (pending a better name).

The idea behind this scheme is that by accumulating points players would feel a sense of progression within AU. Since the categories are not all "competitive", gaining points would not strictly about competition and therefore would not be against the philosophy of AU.

We can even give certain rewards for accumulating certain amounts of points. The most basic would be simple titles, such as: Egg, Freshman, Senior, Tutor, Instructor, Advisor and Overlord. I'm sure the AU Dean could also figure out some better awards (such as custom civgroup-type icons).

What kinds of "themes" can I expect from these "courses"?

It's really up to you! In the past we've focused on anything and everything that you could craft a strategy around:

a. Traits (Industrious, Religious, etc.)
    b. Civs (Romans, Persians, etc.)
    c. Maps (archipelago, pangea, etc.)
    d. Victory Conditions (space race, cultural, etc.)
    e. Golden Ages
    f. Scenarios

Of course, since CIV promises so much more, we could also do:

g. Great People (how to use/abuse them)
    h. Civics (what combinations are best)
    i. Maps (more variety than in Civ3)
    j. Other stuff yet unknown...

Typically we have a vote on what the theme for the next course should be. In the early courses after CIV's release, though, I think "random" should be the default, since everyone will just be getting to know the game. Or am I wrong; would it help to learn if you have a focus?

What about recording all this great knowledge created via AU courses?

I'm glad you asked!

As discussed elsewhere, a new responsibility AU could take on would be to create a "Grand CIV Strategy Database" (pending a better name).

The motivation here is that there's a lot of great strategy stuff posted on Apolyton (in the Strategy section, in the AU forum, and elsewhere), but once it's day in the sun has passed, it gets lost in the shuffle and becomes completely inacessible to newcomers (or us forgetful types). How inefficient! Here are some better ways:

a. A topped list of "must read" threads. This is what we had previously. Although it did a good job of weeding out the chaff, the ideas themselves were not really organized in a systematic way; it would still take a while to find stuff.

b. A curated repository of CIV information and strategies. This would work rather well for information (like little-known game mechanics), but less well for strategy since it's tough to take it out of context. Furthermore, it's unclear what makes up a "strategy", and from where we would accumulate them (direction poaching of the Strategy forum!?).

c. A series of "guest lecturers" or "feature articles". Going along with the "university" theme, we could release periodic strategy commentary from resident (or guest) experts. I know this is done on forums for other games, and it works quite well.

d. A collection of "lessons learned" from each AU course. This would require the players themselves to submit their list of lessons, from which a few of the best would be kep (or maybe all, to be fair?). To me, this seems like an attractive option, since AU is all about the thematic games anyway.

All right, I'm ready to talk about the AU mod now.

As I mentioned elsewhere, I think it's a bit premature to discuss gameplay modifications to a game that's not been released already.

However, it's not a bad idea to get a head start on some discussion. Here are some questions (skip this if you're not interested in the AU mod):

a. Should we revisit the AU mod philosophy?
    b. Does the "panel" system work?
    c. Should we really encourage players to play the mod at the risk of alienating some?

Anything else that's not been covered already?

Here are some outstanding issues:

a. Organization: who does what? Right now we have an AU Dean, and that's about it. Should specific roles be defined, and people found to fit them? Or should this remain "grass roots" as it was in Civ3.

b. Courses: should they be totally random, crafted by a scenario designer, or something in between? When should the first one be released? At what intervals?

c. Multiplayer: I think AU should form a CIV multiplayer clan! Who could possibly defeat us?! Perhaps we could even have multiplayer AU courses? What about PBEM games? Perhaps a more basic question is appropriate: should AU "teach" MP as well as SP skills?

---

Whew! Long post. Anyway, as I said above, please provide feeback on all this: the above is just my thoughts on paper; nothing is yet final.

I hope this has whet some of your appetities for participating in Apolyton University when CIV comes out. As many of the old regulars have discovered, playing Civ as a community is much more fun than playing it alone!

Are you done yet!?

Yes. Now it's up to you:

What would you do with AU?
    And her eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming...

Amazing. I am stunned by your effort. I will comment more later, but first some brief comments:

I loved the post. The tally system is a great idea, and I've done similar things like it in the past. The database is an interesting idea, which could work. If we get "professors" to write about he different game mechanic techniques and strategies, we could use them instead of taking everything from the Strat forum. In fact, we could do something like the Jewish Talmud, where we include the debates on the strategies as well, in a concise form. I'll comment on the mod later. As for creating more positions, once we have a more concrete idea of what we wish to do, we could start creating positions.

Comment

Re: What to do with AU?

c. Multiplayer: I think AU should form a CIV multiplayer clan! Who could possibly defeat us?! Perhaps we could even have multiplayer AU courses? What about PBEM games? Perhaps a more basic question is appropriate: should AU "teach" MP as well as SP skills?
      I'm sure that if Apolyton AU was to leverage there talent in the MP realm as a clan that they would be surely welcome to test there skills in the Olympics of MP events the Civ4players World Clan Championship Cup, a much anticipated event run approximately once every 6 weeks, over an entire weekend, with events in every time zone. In the past 2 years we have run 23 C3C CCC's which considerably fun and good for some friendly yet intense competition, and we certainly hope to build and expand on this with all that CIV will bring with it.

CS
      Global Admin/Owner
      Civilization Players Leagues
      www.civplayers.com
      http://steamcommunity.com/groups/civplayers steam://friends/joinchat/103582791431089902

Comment

point sysytem sounds good

maybe organize AU the way you have it listed
        each spot being a professor who reports to the dean

a. Traits (Industrious, Religious, etc.)
        b. Civs (Romans, Persians, etc.)
        c. Maps (archipelago, pangea, etc.)
        d. Victory Conditions (space race, cultural, etc.)
        e. Golden Ages
        f. Scenarios

I have some juices flowing on a religous scenario
        so would that be A or F ?

other juices now flowing
        anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

thanks for this, dom!

in regards to the "thematic courses" i had some ideas in a thread that yin26 started:

they are all civ4-specific using the "new stuff"

by the way, if firaxis is right with that area does not count, OCC and 5CC should be much easier now
          - Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity
          - Atheism is a nonprophet organization.

Comment

As for the courses, what about a wiki ?

Everyone could post.

The professor / counsellor / thematic administrator would be in charge of cleaning it up and of setting coherence in it.
            M. le Comte

Comment

that sounds brilliant!!!!

would we have an own wikipedia (wiki.apolyton.net) or use the "public" version en.wikipedia.org?

edit: corrected

Comment

I like the point system idea. It values input and participation as much as victories. A very good model for the AU, IMO, as the AU has always been about helping people improve.

It's conceivable we could even impliment some kind of titles/icon ranking system for points. 0-50 is a student, 50-100 teacher, 100-150 professor, etc. Maybe you get a different icon for each one?

I can't comment on the mod section. I just plain don't do mods as stated elsewhere.

I'ld prefer directed games right off the bat myself. My own games I start are typically always with trying some specific trait/strat/civ/etc anyway though, that's just how I play. :shrug: Probably looking at the traits/civs first would be a good place to start, IMO.
                One who has a surplus of the unorthodox shall attain surpassing victories. - Sun Pin
                You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

but to come back on topic:
                  although i have never completed an AU course (too big usually, or too tough), i'd volunteer to help out. be it maintaining the "must read" thread or whatever else is assigned to me

edit: ... or help moderating the wikipedia

Comment

Originally posted by M. le Comte
                    As for the courses, what about a wiki ?

Everyone could post.

The professor / counsellor / thematic administrator would be in charge of cleaning it up and of setting coherence in it.
                    for the archiving of AU games and reports (as well as SP tournaments) we already have the Hall of Fame

we'll probably just need more man power to run/promote the courses and get people to post their reports on the HOF
                    Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                    Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                    giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

now that i think about it, a "hof entries" counter under the username in the posts might do the trick
                      Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                      Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                      giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Re: What to do with AU?

Originally posted by Dominae
                        All right, I'm ready to talk about the AU mod now.

As I mentioned elsewhere, I think it's a bit premature to discuss gameplay modifications to a game that's not been released already.

However, it's not a bad idea to get a head start on some discussion. Here are some questions (skip this if you're not interested in the AU mod):

a. Should we revisit the AU mod philosophy?
                        b. Does the "panel" system work?
                        c. Should we really encourage players to play the mod at the risk of alienating some?
                        Well, the modding aspect was what I always found most enjoyable about AU, so I'll comment on this...

a) Philosophy: to quote the mod's readme, the goals of the mod are...
                        - Improve the AI.
                        - Present the player with more strategic decisions.
                        - Change as little as possible, to preserve the unmodded Civ3 flavor.
                        - Preserve historical accuracy.
                        - Reduce micromanagement.
                        Thus, the mod is as unintrusive as possible, while striving to improve the overall experience/challenge of playing Civ. I don't see where you would want to change that.

b) Panel System: Absolutely works in my opinion (speaking as a former panel member ). Public feedback should definitely play a role, but there needs to be a consistent core group building and directing the mod. Without that, the mod would be at serious risk of losing focus.

c) As with the Civ3 AU mod, use should be encouraged but not required for all courses. I actually found it interesting to see the differences in some course write-ups between the vanilla users and the mod users; that actually is a good gauge of whether the mod is succeeding in improving the game. Personally, once I used a modded Civ3, I could never go back to vanilla - the AU Mod was that good.
                        "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
                        "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
                        "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG
                          now that i think about it, a "hof entries" counter under the username in the posts might do the trick
                          I am just waiting on when Ming will come up with a HoF-Count-Reduction to punish posters that have stepped over the line

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG
                            Would it be possible to have an "AU Courses" counter?

Comment

Is anyone interested in leading the AI project? I imagine the job will be running the AI contest, organizing the main AI project, contributing to the programming, and advertising the project.

Comment

Working...
                              X