A problem when playing on 2 continent maps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Flavor Dave View Post
    I guess I'll go for astronomy and observatories earlier.
    First, allow me to apologize for not knowing how to multiquote. I'm gonna make about 5 posts in a row.

Yeah, that was the trick. When you get to astronomy, there are so many other tasty techs you can get in 4-5-6 turns, rather than the 3 times that many it takes to get astronomy. But I went for it earlier than normal and built observatories, and I'm dominant in science. I'm in the tank age, and I'm just going to build to defend, and to win the space race.

Also, what is Sankore? And what is AP? The only AP I can think of is the Apollo Program!

Comment

I figured out multiquote. Apparently, you have to actually be logged in. (Is there an emoticon for smacking your own forehead?)
      Originally posted by wodan11 View Post
      I've modded my game so all boats have a movement of about 4x their defaults.
      I've been meaning to get in there and mod the game (altho I'd go for adding 3 to everything.) Anyway, another advantage of going to astronomy quicker is you can build two caravels and send them in opposite directions and get that +1 movement bonus, which is cool if you have founded 2-3 religions and want to spread the word.
      Originally posted by smbakeresq View Post
      I dont believe this is true, if you look at your buildings it is still there. The %10 bonus is not there, but the hammer bonus and stuff is still attached to the building after scientifc method, even the AP stuff.
      Yeah, all you get for monasteries after SM is missionaries. That's useful, of course, if you get free religion. I've used religious tolerance to great (happiness) effect in my most recent game.

Comment

Anyway, another advantage of going to astronomy quicker is you can build two caravels and send them in opposite directions and get that +1 movement bonus, which is cool if you have founded 2-3 religions and want to spread the word.
        You don't need Astronomy to do that... you can do it with just Optics.

Comment

Yeah, it's always good to put a missionary on them in case you get blocked by land.
          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Blaupanzer View Post
            I don't think you can build monastaries after you learn Scientific Method. However, the old ones do everything except the 10% science bonus. The AP and Sankore wonder effects are not cancelled as far as I recall. I know for certain that the Sistine Chapel effects continue unabated.
            I know the AP effect is cancelled with SM.
            Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi Wan's apprentice.

Comment

First, allow me to apologize for not knowing how to multiquote. I'm gonna make about 5 posts in a row.

Yeah, that was the trick. When you get to astronomy, there are so many other tasty techs you can get in 4-5-6 turns, rather than the 3 times that many it takes to get astronomy. But I went for it earlier than normal and built observatories, and I'm dominant in science. I'm in the tank age, and I'm just going to build to defend, and to win the space race.

Also, what is Sankore? And what is AP? The only AP I can think of is the Apollo Program!
              If you don't want to pay so much for Astronomy then prioritize Liberalism. In my games (Immortal/Marathon) it's 7056 beakers for Liberalism while costing 10080 for Astronomy. An outright savings of 43% on top of what I get in higher yeild trade routes earlier (worth about 4000 beakers in my games really) meaning it's about 100% cheaper to go the Liberalism route instead. The only real negative is Education as a pre req, but I like Education so much for the techs it opens that it's hard to call it a negative.

Sankore is a wonder that adds 2 beakers to each state religion building. It obsoletes with computers, but you lose monasteries with scientific method which removes almost half the benefit of the wonder. It's better to think of it as going half obsolete with SM and half with computers.

The AP is the Apostolic Palace, it can be built with Theology. When it's built it's set to the religion of the civ that builds it, and is much like the UN but not as many options, not as many chances to vote, and voting power is the population of cities carrying it's religion rather than the population of all cities. It's for an earlier diplomatic win basically.
              Last edited by Brael; April 5, 2010, 15:16.

Comment

If I see another civ on a different continent gets too strong, I always raze several cities first just to weaken it. Then I will try to force a showdown with its main field army. Once that has been crushed, I will start hold conquered cities.

Comment

Originally posted by Brael View Post
                  Sankore

The AP is the Apostolic Palace,

Those aren't in my game. I'm very puzzled.

Comment

Are you playing BtS?

(Sankore came out in Warlords, AP in BtS. You have all 3 versions of the game installed on your computer, and if you aren't careful you will load up the plain original "vanilla" version instead of BtS, which is the version you should be playing always. When you have BtS there is no reason to run either the vanilla or warlords version of the game, though they're still there and installed.)

Comment

My old PC got fried, and I couldn't find all the damn disks from when I got the game in 2007 or something, so I d'l'd the game from the site for $30 bucks or something. I guess I got only the vanilla version?

Comment

Sounds like it.

Comment

When you load the game click on advanced then about this build, see what version it says you have. A 1.x is regular, 2.x warlords, 3.x bts.

And check the shortcuts, to make sure you have one for bts (game folders too, in the \Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4 directory there's a folder for bts and a folder for warlords)

Comment

30 bucks should get you the Ultimate version if you bought it recently. I was in the same spot, with a new computer and no CDs.

My recollection is that Mass Media or something modern like that cancelled the AP. SM just keeps you from building more monasteries.

edit: forget it, it looks like that was a sale or something. 40 bucks on Impulse.
                            John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

Working...
                            X