• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nothing is reliable!

This is really getting frustrating.

axemen with 75% vs melee, vs praetorian-->defeated
    swordsman with 55% city attack vs anything in city-->defeated

I just about tried any combination against everything and I always lose 80% army at least.
    If the main concept of military in Civ 4 is really that flawed that you can't count on any indicator or statistic(I even get frequently defeated with over 60% odds in my favor!) I don't think I can play it anymore although I just got Civilization 4 for the first time.

Am I missing something here, so far I take into account following factors:
    -terrain
    -odds
    -unit type, spear vs mounted, axe vs sword etc.
    -veterancy

I don't know if anyone has played King's Bounty: The Legend but combat there is far more superior and accurate.

You just don't remember the N+ times everything went as planned.
    I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

What bonuses did the Praetorian have? What promotions, what fortification defense, what terrain bonus, what cultural defense? Ditto for the other.

Did you use catapults to reduce the city bonus?

Comment

Originally posted by Tattila the Hun View Post
        You just don't remember the N+ times everything went as planned.
        No, of 11 swordsmen and axemen made 2 remained. Also it is practically impossible to kill longbowmen in the city, it takes 3 units to kill just one.

Comment

Listen to wodan. Use Catapults to bring down the defenses and to do splash damage. Bringing down defenses only costs a catapult a turn, doing splash damage you'll lose some of them. Once you do that you'll find that your ground units live a lot longer.

Most of the units you build to attack will be siege units. The rest are there mostly to mop up.

As far as King's Bounty goes, it's good, but realistic is kind of a stretch.
          John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

Also, are you aware that you can see the combat odds -- the chance you have to win the battle -- by selecting one of your units, then holding down the mouse right-button (the "go to / attack" order) over top of the defender? Not only will this tell you the odds to win, it also will tell you the bonuses and modifiers.

If you have < 70% odds, I probably wouldn't attack. Unless you are doing so with the intention of having the first unit die, so that your second unit can win.

Catapults (and other siege engines) allow you to reduce the city defensive bonus (shown on the main screen on the right side of the city name). They also have a second function and can deal collateral damage. But the first one is what will help you here.

Comment

Yes, by its very definition 75% attack odds would not be reliable, because it would fail about 25% of the time. If you want it to be reliable you should shoot for 99% or better combat odds. Just remember that even 99% combat odds mean that occasionally you will lose those battles (in a game with 1500 battles on average you will lose 15 of them with 99% combat odds).

Comment

Swords and axes vs. longbows? No wonder you're dying.
                I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Using siege weapons destroys the built stuff in the city, I guess swordsmen having 55% city attack and Sid's tip mean nothing...like for the rest of units.
                  Last edited by Andrew_RT; July 8, 2009, 02:22.

Comment

Wow, what a whiney little git you are!

Tell you what, why don't you just stop playing the game? It seems that it's not for you...
                    Last edited by GodSpawn; July 8, 2009, 04:42.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew_RT View Post
                      Using siege weapons destroys the built stuff in the city, I guess swordsmen having 55% city attack and Sid's tip mean nothing...like for the rest of units.
                      No it doesn't. Also your +55% is being more than cancelled by their defensive bonuses. But yeah, GodSpawn is right, you'd rather whine than hear how it works.

If you hold down Alt, it'll have a little breakdown in the corner. That will show you all the math.
                      John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew_RT View Post
                        Using siege weapons destroys the built stuff in the city
                        As Felch said: No, it doesn't.

I guess swordsmen having 55% city attack and Sid's tip mean nothing...like for the rest of units.
                        Absolutely not. It doesn't "mean nothing". If the defender has +75% defensive bonus, then your 55% reduces that to 20% defensive bonus. It makes a suicide attack into one you just might win.

Your 55% attack bonus allows you to take the city with fewer catapults. You should still bring at least some cats, however; it sounds like you're not even aware of how they work.

Comment

"This is really getting frustrating"

Ha. Ha. No kidding. Seriously though, my experience tells me that this is not an easy game to play well. I'm certainly not a "gamer" but I play Civ IV when I have the time - like at two in the morning when I sneek out bed while my wife is sleeping! I've been playing it for two years & can't win consistantly above Noble. I play with a two inch binder containing reference material & an open spreadsheet on a second monitor - my daughter thinks I'm crazy. But there's alot of nuances (and not just to warring), alot of planning and alot of strategy required. And that's why I like it. My suggestion is keep at it, search the web because there's alot of people out there who do play the game well & they've written alot on how to play this game.

Comment

What about this ?

I just got this battle result.. I went "wow !" and did not believe my eyes. The battle took place in plain (no terrain alteration whatsoever)

My (Hatshepsut) Inf (24) against Boudica War elephant (11.2). Combat odds 99,4%. See attached image
                            Attached Files

Comment

Ha! Enraged elephants ignore bullets and trample puny infantry!!
                              Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
                              Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
                              One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

Working...
                              X