Gandhi: Friend or Foe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gandhi: Friend or Foe?

Out of all the civs in this game, I consider Gandhi to be the most frustrating. Yes he is peaceful 90% of the time, but he is capable of becoming a global power, waging a decisive war when needed, and building up a massive deterrent to the point where even considering going to war with him could lead to a war that lasts forever.

He isn't a very reliable or friendly vassal either. I have noticed when he offers(without war of course), he winds up changing his mind pretty quickly, regardless of what I am doing in the game. I have also noticed he is usually the first to offer up a defensive pact(which I usually decline). Also, when waging war while Gandhi is your vassal, I have noticed he does very little(if any) fighting. However, if someone else goes after him, I seem to be the first civ he asks for help. Also, I have had a few scenarios where he invades me with no provocation.

The way I usually handle Gandhi is by keeping a close eye on him, regardless of his position on the map or his size. In my opinion, he must always be kept "in check". While in the modern/future era, I make sure to have a heavy naval presence(including full transports) in his region. If I notice through recon a major buildup underway, I declare war and take out all of his cities but one or two and then force him into capitulation. Then he is no longer a threat to me(or anybody), and I can concentrate on other aspects of the game.

While Gandhi is regarded as a proponent of peace, I consider him a "loose cannon" that can have visions of global domination at the drop of a hat.

Was wondering how others have experienced Gandhi, exactly what approaches you take towards him, and if there are any strategies besides what I have mentioned where Gandhi and I can co-exist.
    http://www.gnrevolution.com

I consider Ghandi a bigger threat than Shaka or Toku ot Monty. Ghandi actually tries to win, and will science whore / wonder whore and get a spaceship or culture victory if not sat upon quick enough. I even had him swipe a game from me with a cultural win while he was a vassal to another.

Considered a priority target.
    Rule 37: "There is no 'overkill'. There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload'."
    http://www.schlockmercenary.com/ 23 Feb 2004

Comment

Indeed. I have met Warmongering Ghandi in a number of games. He can also indeed by a most frustrating Vassal, even if he was the one to offer it without the cause being war.
      You Learn Something New Every Day!
      Member of the ARDA MOD (LOTR)

Comment

Good to know I'm not the only one having issues with Gandhi. Before joining this site, I was actually wondering if his behavior was in response to the way I play the game.

The current game I have been playing he caught me off guard. He signed a defensive pact fairly early in the game with Hatsheput, so I have basically had to just let him build up into a major power.

This defensive pact has never been broken, and I have a feeling it may last throughout the game. I don't think I can take on both countries at the same time. I actually just got out of a war with Huang, where I nuked him into oblivion, sent in a wave of ground forces, and forced him to capitulate(giving me a stable of vassals which already included Stalin and Isabella).

My military is fairly weak at this point(building up now), and I'm expecting him to declare war before I build my military strength back up, although this would break his defensive pact with Hatsheput.

The two actually share a large continent(which is probably what lead to their pact), while Hatsheput also occupies territory on the Chinese continent(which I now own most of).

Gandhi has actually been fairly quiet in this scenario. A quiet Gandhi is usually a scheming Gandhi.

Comment

I can't say Gandhi has ever been a real problem for me. He tends to be vassalized by somebody fairly often.
          I'm consitently stupid- Japher
          I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Originally posted by Theben View Post
            I can't say Gandhi has ever been a real problem for me. He tends to be vassalized by somebody fairly often.
            I've actually wondered if this is part of Gandhi's overall long term strategy in some aspect. A way to quietly build himself up, sort of a "speak very, very softly while building a gigantic stick" mantra. You're right though, no matter how big or small he becomes in any of the infinite scenarios, becoming a vassal, or a series of vassals is definitely a pattern. In my dealings with him(or in my observations), he doesn't seem fond of becoming a permanent vassal, and even when he is a vassal of mine, I do not really consider him an ally.

Like Boracks said, he is definitely a "priority target". Someone else I keep my eye on is Churchill.

One scenario I worry about encountering someday is an Isabella/Gandhi alliance. Isabella under the right circumstances becomes huge and very aggressive, and a loose cannon Gandhi by her side would be a serious threat, not just to me but to the entire world.

One civ that has always surprised me by its overall weakness is Russia. When I first started playing Civ 4 last year, I expected Russia to be a dominating factor in the game. Not so. I remember a few months back playing a game where he did get pretty big, but Germany wound up taking him out. In my experiences, Russia seems to be a bit too "isolationist" to ever really become a global power. Like China, they seem to prefer sticking to their own region.

Comment

he's been sort of aggressive when i've played him too. he's able to build up quite the military, i've noticed, and is definitely a threat. in one of my games i was just screwing around and i built a bunch of nukes and nuked him, like, 5 times.

i've also noticed that it seems like Tokugawa is often agressive to me too, and he is a definite threat.
              "Like Joseph Stalin, and Gandhi.
              I'm the Cult of Personality,
              Cult of Personality,
              Cult of Personality." ~ "Cult of Personality" by Living Colour

Comment

Part of Ghandi's power comes from his UU.

The fast worker is underestimated by many - but it is a powerful tool.

I personally shudder when I see him as an AI - he tends to always vassalise himself to a military power - leading to a 2 vs 1 confrontation.

I do not remember seeing Asoka doing this - but I hardly ever get him as an AI.
                Last edited by Nugog; April 5, 2009, 08:04. Reason: such bad spelling
                I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

I find that AI civs with FIN, ORG, or a UB that allows for maintenance costs to be the civs to keep an eye on. The last category would include Shaka, Gilgamesh, and Charlemagne. Charles in particular... I can't recall a game where he wasn't a powerful empire at some point.
                  I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                  I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Originally posted by Nugog View Post
                    Part of Ghandi's power comes from his UU.

The fast worker is underestimated by many - but it is a powerful tool.
                    Gods yes, I love it, the times I start out as India (I always play random Civ and leader). Its the only unit that you start with that never loses its effectiveness, no matter when you build one.
                    Rule 37: "There is no 'overkill'. There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload'."
                    http://www.schlockmercenary.com/ 23 Feb 2004

Comment

Ghandi starts slowly, especially militarily, then he bursts into expansion of all remaining open territory. Post that he expands his military and becomes a real pain. The best way to handle him on your borders is to let him expand and put in a little basic infrastructure. Then hit him and take all those partially built cities before his defenses are up to par. If you miss your timing because of another war or whatever, be aware he will become a later game problem.

Note: I play with vassals off, so each civ lives or dies on its own.
                      Last edited by Blaupanzer; April 17, 2009, 13:49.
                      No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                      "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

I love Ghandi as a neighbor (DEAD). If he's far away, he might become a pain.

But nowhere near the level of, say, Mansa Musa. Mansa drives me nuts, contesting my tech supremecy... forcing me to really beeline to Liberalism instead of putting if off so I can take a really juicy tech (I like using it on Democracy) for free... whoring tech around.

-Arrian
                        grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Working...
                        X