No announcement yet.

Help I can't play Civ 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've the same problem. A couple of months ago I switch play from Civ4 to Rise of Nations. The a few days ago I put Civ4 disc 1 into my cd-rom and receive this message:
    Error Code: -5004 : 0x80041f42
    Error Information:
    *C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Professional\RunTime\12\00\Int el32\iKernel.dll
    >inc\CoCreate.cpp (44)
    >SetupDLL\SetupDLL.cpp (1390)
    PAPP:Sid Meier's Civilization 4
    PVENDOR:Firaxis Games (##IDS_PRODUCT_URL##)
    PGUID:CFBCE791-2D53-4FCE-B3FB-D6E01F4112E8
    $11.0.0.28844
    So, I then tried to uninstall the game by way of Programs and features, BTW I'm using WinVista (piece of junk) and it tells me I can't. So I went to 2k and followed there instructions for uninstall by way of disc 1 then used Wise disk cleaner to get rid of all files. Rebooted and reinstalled same problem. Then used Revo uninstaller to uninstall and reinstalled using safe mode to avoid interference well needless to say that didn't work either. When I try to play I get this message now:
    "Please insert the correct CD-Rom, select ok and restart application."
    I've done this and CD 1 of Civ 4 is in my CD-Rom, but still receive this message "Cannot locate the CD-Rom. 2k doesn't seem to accept the bad info coming off there disk. My cd-rom works fine with all other discs just not Civ4. Any solutions will be appreciated.

Comment

Update: Microsoft site has listed all Civilization except BTS as NOT compatible with Windows Vista and there is a ? mark as to how compatible BTS is.

Comment

BTS does run on Vista... rah has it on his new lap top, and BTS runs fine with Vista.
        Keep on Civin'
        RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Ming View Post
          BTS does run on Vista... rah has it on his new lap top, and BTS runs fine with Vista.
          I had problems with it the last time I tried to run it on Vista. I kept getting a "known compatibility" error message then the game would crash a short while later as it was booting.

Comment

Is Vista compatible with computers?

There's a reason I put XP on my iMac so I could play Civ instead of Vista.
            Rule 37: "There is no 'overkill'. There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload'."
            http://www.schlockmercenary.com/ 23 Feb 2004

Comment

BTS works great on my Vista notebook. I never played Vanilla on this though and didn't even bother installing Warlords.

One thing I do note about the "Games" folder in Vista is that the "Check how well this game will perform on your computer" section doesn't show up on the Vanilla shortcut, but does for the BTS one.

BTW, the game recommended rating for BTS is 3.0 which matches my current system rating.
              1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
              Templar Science Minister
              AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

Working...
              X