War Elephants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Theben
    Longbows/crossbows with drill/combat II+ charge. Elephants are vulnerable to 1st strikes.
    I believe you mean formation, not charge.
    You've just proven signature advertising works!

Comment

whatever. I couldn't remember the name at the time.
      I'm consitently stupid- Japher
      I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

im getting a bit off topic but it seems chariots are actually too weak. there only bonus is 100% against axeman and ive had axeman take my chariots out numerous times. they should maybe be 5 strength instead of 4 our some kind of different trait. anyone agree or disagree ?
        "great liars are great magicians"
        "i came. i saw. i conquered."
        "speak softly and carry a big stick"

Comment

I've always thought that the chariots were kind of weak. But their two movement makes them very useful. In most cases they do kill axeman, unles the axman are on good defensive terrain. Unless I'm the Egyptians, I never build many of them. unless I don't have metal.
          Keep on Civin'
          RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

yeah the 2 movement is nice i use them to replace scouts once they die or if i didnt build any.

Comment

lordbiff =\= brotherbiff?

Is the 100% bonus only for ATTACKING axemen?

Because my axemen regularly wreck chariots, but chariots regularly wreck my axemen.

Comment

yes the 100% is only axeman
                and lord biff is my uncle

Comment

It's 100% attack against axemen, which they didn't even have in vanilla, IIRC.

They're good for scouting, pillaging, and if you give them Flanking II, they're decent arrow fodder - immune to first strikes, 20% chance of withdrawing, and if you lose them, well they've softened up the archers for your axemen.

Also they're a potential medic unit.
                  Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
                  Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
                  One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

Originally posted by jnh140
                    Is the 100% bonus only for ATTACKING axemen?
                    Correct.
                    Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi Wan's apprentice.

Comment

Lord Avalon defiantly put chariots into prospective but i still think there weak

Comment

I seldom use them, but then again, i almost NEVER get horses.

I blame boudica.

Comment

Chariots are only a 30 unit (normal speed), so you can't expect too much. But War Chariot rushes can be fun.
                          Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
                          Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
                          One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

Chariots are lifesavers if metals are out of reach but horses aren't. Also, you can put them on picket duty at the edge of the empire without fear of them being "caught" by their counter, the spearman. Axemen don't do this as well as they are too slow to intercept in the open. I keep a couple of these in reserve back on the roads. If spearmen come the axes greet them; anybody else meets the chariot.
                            No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                            "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

War Elephants: they're good, yeah, but they're not so good that I miss them when I don't have ivory. I feel like restarting if I lack horses, or if I lack both copper & iron. Granted, I've never faced Survivorman's Ballistas.

War Chariots and Immortals absolutely ROCK, if you get them out early enough. Regular chariots aren't as good, obviously, but they're still useful. Once the spears show up, it's all over of course. ****ing Pacal...

Immortals: 4str, 2 moves, +50% vs. archers, +100% attack vs axeman, get defensive bonuses & can fortify.

War Chariots: 5 str, 2 moves, +100% attack vs. archers.

They're 30 hammers a pop and all you need are horses and The Wheel.

Egypt starts with The Wheel. Research AH. If you have horsies near, you're in business. Persia doesn't start w/the Wheel, so you have two techs to research. But you have a scout, which can help you find horses, might pop tech from huts, and will locate your target(s). And you get to use Darius, who is the #1 leader in the game for dealing with the economic cost of a far-flung empire.

Try it. You might like it... [/pusher]

-Arrian
                              grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

In RL, elephants were regarded a a formidable opponent. However, they had a couple of disadvantages. One was the inclination of these bulls to fight one another fairly constantly, making their encampment and logistical movement somewhat inconvenient and occasionally downright dangerous. The other was their occasional tendency to panic and turn and run right thru their own lines. This second tendency made lots of infantry units unwilling to be placed in immediate contact with the elephants, especially behind them.

Possibly the game could reflect this by having an allied unit and the elephant be injured every once in a while instead of the target unit when you attack with elephants.
                                Last edited by Blaupanzer; January 22, 2009, 13:55.
                                No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                                "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Working...
                                X