War Elephants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rah

I get the shield event for free cover for my axemen and then I get the sharp axe one for free shock. Talk about bad luck, I was so confused I didn't know which one to build, axes or immortals.
    Been there, built axes. The free promotions last forever. once upgraded, Macemen with those are quite useful

On elephants... err, I suppose there's a reason I use that avatar.
    Rule 37: "There is no 'overkill'. There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload'."
    http://www.schlockmercenary.com/ 23 Feb 2004

Comment

On the subject of no animals on the map showing up without requisite techs, I always felt it sort of made sense. Cows are slow and delicous, and not particularly a threat to human habitation. Ele-muh-phants are big and lumbering, and are a threat to human habitation (especially if hte tribe has developed "al-co-muh-hol")

Horses pre-AH probably don't seeem like a resource, and just a bunch of really really fast critters.

But we all know that its really just the strategic resources that are hidden from us. "I'll build my town by these food resources, forcing the computer to build in that CRAP over there!!! ... ooops too bad about those horses I don't have now."

Comment

Yes it is all a secret plot, as jnh140 suggests. Even though the placement is random, the evil programmers do their best to make sure that building cities to take advantage of visible resources will screw you out of strategic sources. It really is mostly random.
        No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
        "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Also, the moon landing was fake and jimmy hoffa is living in a flat in prague with elvis and lincoln.

Comment

That and the mysterious blue circle

I like the start where the blue circle is 2 squares from your settler at the start. SINCE WE ALL KNOW THAT the blue circle takes into account hidden resources you of course waste your opening turn by moving to the blue circle. The second you hit enter to end your turn the blue circle your settler is sitting in dissappears and reappears 2 squares away. Fortunately the blue circle has never reappeared in the square where my settler originally started, so my computer has not been unmercifully destroyed by a raging maniac.
            It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Ahhhh yes, the blue circle...

You are indeed right on what would happen to the computer if the blue spot reappeared where you originally started

But it does make you wonder sometimes. You see the PERFECT city location, and there is no blue circle anywhere around. Or it's a sqaure or two away and you have to ask yourself, what am I missing. But in reality, even after all the hidden resourses have been revealed, I've usually selected the best city locations
              Keep on Civin'
              RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Ive always been very confused by the blue circles. Taking into account hidden resources makes sense, but I'll usually move my dude on the opening turn if: it gets me next to a coast AND it gives me more food.

Otherwise, i generally ignore the circles, as I usually can pick better spots for cities than the blue circles can.

Comment

Blue circles put way to much emphasis on founding on a hill.
                  You've just proven signature advertising works!

Comment

Blue circles say where the AI would put cities, and as we all experience every game, the AI has really crappy judgment in this regard.

Simply turn the blue circles OFF in options and you won't be bothered by these deep conundrums.

Comment

I always thought that the Blue Circles was indicating where the nukes will hit later on in the game, so I always avoided them.

Well, I am still an amateur in this game

ybrevo

Comment

Originally posted by ybrevo
                        I always thought that the Blue Circles was indicating where the nukes will hit later on in the game, so I always avoided them.
                        My favorite explanation yet.
                        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Seedle
                          Blue circles put way to much emphasis on founding on a hill.
                          Exactly, I never intend for the city to be attacked, so I'd rather have the hill for production than city defense.
                          Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi Wan's apprentice.

Comment

I also never intent for a city to be attacked but I like the extra hammer on plain hills, especially early in the game when it can make a big difference.
                            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by rah

I was playing a game last night as the persians with the aim of doing an immortal rush so AH was my first research and lo and behold horses appear in my caps BFC , so I research wheel and then BW, as I'm building my 2nd immortal I get the shield event for free cover for my axemen and then I get the sharp axe one for free shock. Talk about bad luck, I was so confused I didn't know which one to build, axes or immortals.
                              What a fortunate dilemma to have. What I get pissed about is when I have Dog Soldiers and find tin. I figure I should at least get a 5 Str unit from it.
                              I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                              I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Theben notes all of our frustration that the game does not reflect the history of Bronze Age America. No ... wait ... America never had a Bronze Age OR an Iron age. So all that copper and tin the Natives are mining must be for toys, jewelry, and communication wire. Oh wait, nobody needed commo wire then. I tell you, this is just confusing.
                                No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                                "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Working...
                                X