No announcement yet.

Can't play mutiplayer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

update: it looks like i can't reinstall now. The game install and still does not have the dll.

Comment

Let us know how you go - use this thread.

If I can't help, then I will direct someone who can to this thread.
      I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

Originally posted by LordBiff
        update: it looks like i can't reinstall now. The game install and still does not have the dll.
        Weird.

OK - uninstall, delete all folders related to Civ, including any in the My Games folder.

Delete then all (including emptying your Recycle Bin) and try again.

Is this on your laptop?
        I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

yeah, i don't have all the disks on me. i can't reinstall. not sure i want to. this way too much hassle. i get screwed at every turn. i have installed this game about 5 times now. now i have to go number 6,. i have real doubts about this working. too bad Firaxis and take two have no support. they just send you links too games they have for sale. then consider it solved.

Comment

my nephew has 1.61 i have 1.74 on my desktop.
            Well this would explain why you and your nephew can't play a PBEM game, you both need to have the same version. As for your laptop problem, I'm sure there's a simple solution there somewhere. First off, do you have enough hard drive space on it?

Comment

yes i do have the space. I just tried to update warlords in game, like suggested. it's the same thing, it wipes out file d3dx9_32.dll. That is it, the patch wipe this file. Game over. crash to desk top. Civ 4 cannot be patched on this machine. There is no way to play a patched game on my laptop.

Comment

Ok,

It's been a long night, but I think i got it. It is a version problem. My desktop 1.74, laptop 1.00, and nephew 1.61. Plus my laptop having an older version of Direct X. That made the 1.74 patch not work on my laptop. Once I got through the morass that is Microsoft's web site, and updated Direct X. Version 1.74 will run on my laptop.

Now I have to get my nephew's computer updated. Direct X and Civ 4 1.74.

Thanks everybody for all your help. I wouldn't have got this far without the help.

Thanks
                Last edited by LordBiff; November 22, 2008, 04:47.

Comment

Ok,

It's been a long night, but I think i got it. It is a version problem. My desktop 1.74, laptop 1.00, and nephew 1.61. Plus my laptop having an older version of Direct X. That made the 1.74 patch not work on my laptop. Once I got through the morass that is Microsoft's web site, and updated Direct X. Version 1.74 will run on my laptop.

Now I have to get my nephew's computer updated. Direct X and Civ 4 1.74.

Thanks everybody for all your help. I wouldn't have got this far without the help.

Thanks
                  I honestly don't know if I've ever seen someone make it so hard to help them. I'm glad you go there in the end, but if this wasn't such a patient forum you'd have been ignored days ago.
                  www.neo-geo.com

Comment

Well LordBiff, I am glad we managed to help you get this sorted.

Enjoy your games.

Comment

Originally posted by johnmcd

I honestly don't know if I've ever seen someone make it so hard to help them. I'm glad you go there in the end, but if this wasn't such a patient forum you'd have been ignored days ago.
                      I know, I thought that might happen. This is a great forum.

Comment

Go, Nugog!
                        No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                        "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Glad you got through it all! It seems patience from both sides was needed and that happened! Enjoy!
                          If you aren't confused,
                          You don't understand.

Comment

This is a great forum.

Comment

Working...
                            X