Can't play mutiplayer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't play mutiplayer

Ok this a new post on the same problem. Civ 4 will not let me play mutiplayer games. I have tried to email turns and an error message about "protecting saved mod files" comes up, and the game crashes to the desktop.

Question: How do you play multiplayer games?

Question: Why does Firaxes do this?

Fact: We don't have any mods, so what is Civ 4 trying to protect.

Fact: we have NO mods.

There has to be some difference in your setups.

Are you both patched to the same version?

This may sound a silly question - but are you both playing Civ4, not one of you using Warlords or BtS?

The message you get is when there is a difference between the version the save was created in and the version you are trying to open it with.
    I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

I am not sure which version a newly bought game is. I have version 1.74. I thought a new game bought 2 weeks ago would be the latest version.

Thanks I'll check out which version he has.

Comment

OK - by version I mean:

Are you both playing Civilization 4, or both playing Warlords, or both playing Beyond the Sword?

Additionally - did you purchase just Civilization 4, or the US only Civ4 Gold set?

Did you both buy retail versions (ie go into a physical store and buy it, or did either of you purchase it of Steam (or other online seller)? This should not have any impact - but all the info we can get will help.

My guess is that you are both not patched to the same level, or some one has been tinkering with something, or lastly that someone has installed a mod of some sort that changes the actual game file.

Anyway - let us know what you find out, and we will try and help.

I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

Wow,
          as far as patching the game, that can't happen on my laptop. I have tried to patch it twice downloading a new patch each time, and all it does is destroy the install. I end up having to uninstall and reinstall. Whats up with that. I have patched the game on my desktop.

Comment

Where are you getting the patch from?

Have you tried the ingame updater?

And while we are about it - what actual version of the game are we talking about? Is it orginal Civilization 4, or that and Warlords or Beyond the Sword?

EDIT: Also - are you running XP or Vista?

Comment

Originally posted by Nugog
              OK - by version I mean:

Are you both playing Civilization 4, or both playing Warlords, or both playing Beyond the Sword?

Additionally - did you purchase just Civilization 4, or the US only Civ4 Gold set?

Did you both buy retail versions (ie go into a physical store and buy it, or did either of you purchase it of Steam (or other online seller)? This should not have any impact - but all the info we can get will help.

My guess is that you are both not patched to the same level, or some one has been tinkering with something, or lastly that someone has installed a mod of some sort that changes the actual game file.

Anyway - let us know what you find out, and we will try and help.

I started a new thread to avoid this Warlords BTS stuff.

The game does not see a save from a different games so I can,t try to load a different game.

as far as patches go Civ 4 does not patch on this laptop. it will on my desktop. on my laptop a patch will destroy the install.

Comment

ok,

just checked. it's version 1.74 and version 1.61. now the problem is I can't patch my laptop.

Thanks for the replies.

Comment

So who has 1.74 and who has 1.61?

Comment

I have 1.74 on my desktop.

Comment

we both bought retail versions. I bought mine when the game came out. the other one was bought 3 weeks ago.

now the problem is I can't patch my laptop. The patch wipes out a dll file. I have to uninstall and reinstall the game.

Comment

Are you trying to PBEM yourself?

OK - seriously - how did you get 1.74 on the desktop and 1.61 on the laptop?

Again - are you using Vista or XP (and is it the same on both machines)?

Comment

my nephew has 1.61 i have 1.74 on my desktop. i have an unpatched version on my laptop. it can't be patched.

all winxp

Comment

OK - why doesn't your nephew patch up to 1.74?

(I am presuming here that I have understood the situation as you have both a laptop and a pc, and you nephew is somewhere else using a different machine apart from the afore mentioned laptop and pc)

With the laptop - have you tried the ingame updater rather than maualy patching?

From the main menu - choose "Advanced" then "Check for Updates" (sorta - I am doing this from memory) and see what happens.

Does the laptop have different logins, one for general use and one for an Administrator? If so then you will need to be logged in as the Admin to change programme files - just a thought in case.

Comment

I'll try that in game update. good idea. my nephew is playing solo now but waiting to out come of the update problem. he is on a desktop. I want use both my laptop and desktop.

Comment

Working...
                              X