No announcement yet.

Combat Vs City Garrison Vs Drill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To find an actual chance to hit, the easiest way is to test it out and look at the combat log (logs -> combat log). It will show you the chance to hit at each combat (and how many HP are removed).

Two full strength units, though, the chance to hit should be (attacker strength) / (attacker strength + defender strength), I believe, with any modifiers added appropriately.
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by Willem

That's really bad advice. An Archer with Medic is primarily useful only as a backup defender. Combat isn't going to add alot to your defence strength if someone attacks, not like City Garrison. Combat is only a strength increase of 10%, City Garrison adds 20% to city defence. Do the math and you'll see which is better.
      Fairy nuff; I wasn't really thinking about archers in this instance; more axemen

[/QUOTE]
      It's also pointless having 2 Medics in a city since the effect doesn't stack, and yes they do heal themselves. The ability applies to all units on the tile including the one who has it. Also, the Medic ability is now available to units who have Drill 1, so you're better off getting it that way for a defending unit. [/QUOTE]

Ah; must have changed a bit since Vanilla - they didn't heal themselves then. Thanks
      Dom 8-)

Comment

Originally posted by snafuc4
        Here's my take for garrison only troops (BTW I'm a terrible player):

1st promo - Combat 1. The extra 10% HP can work wonders, & leads to
        2nd promo - Medic 1. This STM to be vital to keep your troops healthy in the event of a seige

After that you're pretty much on your own, other than to say it's preferable to have 2 troops with medic 1 in a seiged city, as one can't heal itself
        If I have a spearman in a city with 2 promos likely the 2nd is Medic. They don't fight too often and when they do it's usually against attacking mounted units which are at a huge disadvantage already.
        I'm consitently stupid- Japher
        I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Originally posted by snafuc4

Fairy nuff; I wasn't really thinking about archers in this instance; more axemen
          Well he did mention defensive units in his post and specifically Archers etc.

Ah; must have changed a bit since Vanilla - they didn't heal themselves then. Thanks
          They've always been able to heal themselves AFAIK. I can't remember a time when they haven't.

Comment

They've always been able to heal themselves AFAIK. I can't remember a time when they haven't.
            Includoing the extra 10%? I'm sure they didn't used to, but nevermind

Thanks again
            Dom 8-)

Comment

Originally posted by Supr49er
              I will always have a Machinegun promoted up the CG line in my coastal cities. 1 Machinegun with CGIII can hold off an amphibious AI boatful (or two).
              I don't remember Machigunnery getting City Gayrrison. Usually I drill (*>**>***) it up. I think it's what you meant, right?

Comment

MGs are siege units, no CG prmotiom available.
                No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Can't you promote archers with CG to MGs though?
                  You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Originally posted by Krill
                    Can't you promote archers with CG to MGs though?
                    Exactly so. Then add Drill once they are MGs.
                    And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

Comment

Originally posted by pedrojedi

I don't remember Machigunnery getting City Gayrrison. Usually I drill (*>**>***) it up. I think it's what you meant, right?
                      They don't. He means he's promoted his archer/crossbow line with CG then upgraded to MG.

Comment

They don't. He means he's promoted his archer/crossbow line with CG then upgraded to MG.
                        That's just so evil.

Comment

Originally posted by pedrojedi

That's just so evil.
                          No, that's just good planning.

Comment

Drill is most useful when you have a tech lead and are facing an enemy that has inferior units but superior numbers.

Enough swordsmen will eventually bring down your rifleman. Each combat your rifleman will get weaker. But if you have drill your rifleman will take less damage each round and hopefully survive for longer.

Comment

Welcome to Apolyton Kaleb.
                              And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

Comment

Originally posted by Supr49er
                                Welcome to Apolyton Kaleb.
                                Man, you sure do get around don't you?

Comment

Working...
                                X