Financial Crisis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Theben
    Should be more like the opposite of a golden age, cities affected lose -1 and -1 per tile that generates 3 or more for 10 turns*game speed.
    I agree, though the number of turns should be random (1-10) * game speed. Civs affected would be target civ plus all civs it has trade-routes with. Target civ could be defined as the civ with the most GNP.

Comment

This is a clever idea. It will be a pain in the butt, but would be welcome when it happens to the AI, fo sho
      May it come that all the Radiances will be known as ones own radiances

Comment

Goes with beefing up the economic part of the system. IF we could get an economic win, then such events would make a lot of sense. As is, more hassle than it's worth.
        No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
        "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Originally posted by Blaupanzer
          As is, more hassle than it's worth.
          Oh, Pah! Civ is still too predictable and linear, as it is. More dramatic events are needed, and this could be one of them.

Comment

slavery had to have a negative event attached to it because it was too powerful. slavery was the "no duh" civic choice for almost any game; now the decision is a little more difficult. free market is not nearly so potent, so an event of this magnitude to tone it down isn't really necessary.

Comment

Free market needs a boost as is. Corporations aren't that great unless you're playing large/huge maps with lots of land. Sid's Sushi needs lots of islands, Mining needs lots of minerals and land, the rest aren't that great. They all need hammers to build branches and a large ca$h down payment. In addition large land masses favor State Property already! I find myself skipping Mercantilism, picking Free Market until State Property is available, and adopting Environmentalism once I need the health bonuses.

Free Market should have a and :beaker: bonus in addition to the extra trade route... maybe 10% each.
              I'm consitently stupid- Japher
              I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

I find myself skipping Mercantilism, picking Free Market until State Property is available, and adopting Environmentalism once I need the health bonuses.
                Leave out the environmental part and this describes 95% of my games. Most of my game are won or almost won by the time that environmentalism would be needed.
                It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

95% of mine also, the ones that get that far. Every now and then there's a game which goes down to the wire and if many cities are having huge health problems it can be more economical to switch to Enviro.
                  I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                  I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

what about protracted wars and finacal hardships

American Revolution
                    Vietnam
                    Iraqi Freedom

.02 out
                    anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

Protracted wars already penalize you. Short wars where you can profit from city plunder to pay for your troop support and opportunity costs aren't bad, but longer wars allows other civs to out tech you.
                      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

The payment penalty for troops outside your own culture represents fairly well, if abstractly, the payments costs associated with war. I occassionally chuckle when a big shootout results in the fall of a city after heavy troop losses. My finances benefit from troops lost, troops in newly taken cities, and the plunder from the city. It's more of an evil grin I suppose to be pleased with the economic benefits of dead troops -- but the financial effect is very real at the time.
                        "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

As long as the troops were the easy replacable ones and not your triple or more promoted units. When you have hundreds of double promoted units all the same, I never feel much loss when losing a dozen or more.
                          Yes, it's cold.
                          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Free market needs a boost as is. Corporations aren't that great unless you're playing large/huge maps with lots of land. Sid's Sushi needs lots of islands, Mining needs lots of minerals and land, the rest aren't that great. They all need hammers to build branches and a large ca$h down payment. In addition large land masses favor State Property already! I find myself skipping Mercantilism, picking Free Market until State Property is available, and adopting Environmentalism once I need the health bonuses.

Free Market should have a and :beaker: bonus in addition to the extra trade route... maybe 10% each.
                            I do a bit different, since for me Mining Inc. is much more a loss than a win - it competes with all the others, and don't give the beaker and cultural bonus of Jewels or Aluminum - so I like to concentrate on Sushi's, Jewels, Aluminum and Creative. If I get the chance to grab Mining too, I build it on some far-away city and leave it there if anybody needs it.

Comment

Can be useful to spread a not particularly useful corp from one of your cities to the AI. They often spread them with abandon, much to your economic benefit. However, as pedrojedi has noted, this can create competition for the resources you need with the civs busy making you rich. Note, internal competition for resources is nonexistant as far as I can see. All your iron sources benefit all your corps needing them equally.

Comment

yeah like my company that I work for it is not downsizing it is building and adding new coworkers. Sorter one always has new stores now they have to build a whole new DC because we ran out of room. We pretty much stick to build over buy. They added new stuff for me to load like toys both big and small. But yeah corportations are about as powerful as Civ 2 Fundementalism

Comment

Working...
                                X