Need civ4 gamers/developers to answer few questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Guys,

Although I can infer the answer to it from some of the replies I've received I just want to make sure i'm right about your motivations.

If those of you who have previously replied could please reply to this :

WHY do you take spend your time and effort into developing an idea on how to make the game better and/or developing some user-generated content?

(this has nothing to do with sharing that idea but rather your initial personal motivation on why you decide to do the above)

Comment

So principally: ´Why do you mod ?´

Comment

Originally posted by Unimatrix11
        So principally: ´Why do you mod ?´
        Well two aspects really:

Why you...
        1) Develop new ideas for improving the game
        2) Develop new user-generated content for the game

Modding would fall under the second category.

Not all users have the technical knowledge to do modding but they can still contribute valuable ideas on how the game can be improved. The gaming publisher can take note of both ideas and user-generated content (modding included) and be inspired for future product developments or incorporating ideas/content provided by the gaming community users.
        Last edited by Kia11; August 25, 2008, 12:48.

Comment

Not all users have the technical knowledge to do modding but they can still contribute valuable ideas on how the game can be improved.
          Although this is true, editing an xml file is pretty simple, and creating a new map too (my daughter does it), so I dare say that everyone can learn at least some of the skills.

I develop new user content because I find the game more interesting with that new content.
          Clash of Civilization team member
          (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
          web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

Originally posted by LDiCesare

Although this is true, editing an xml file is pretty simple, and creating a new map too (my daughter does it), so I dare say that everyone can learn at least some of the skills.

I develop new user content because I find the game more interesting with that new content.

Yes you're right on that. Depending on your modding knowledge (expertise in different software) you can personalize the content to a greater extent.

Comment

Hey guys!

I am almost finished with writing up my dissertation - my deadline is this coming week.

One last request from you that I have is if you could share any screenshots of you using toolkits provided by gaming publishers in creating user-generated content. I'm looking for screenshots of both when you are modifying game code and of more simpler methods such as creating maps through drag and drop features... i'd like to include these screenshots in my appendices to support how gamers create user-generated content, share it with the community, and why gaming companies should take note of such content.

Please either upload them on here or contact me through email ASAP!

Thanks!

Comment

I'm not sure what you expect, but here is a screenshot of what I use 99% of the time when modding...
                Sorry menus and the 'Search has reached bottom' thing are in French.
                Attached Files
                web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

Hey LD,

Yes I was looking for something exactly like this. What is the name of software that is being used? Is this just a regular notepad document or is it some specific software which allwos you to edit the game code?

Comment

It's gvim, see http://www.vim.org
                    I could also use notepad except gvim has, well, lots more functionalities (like highlighting syntax, as visible on the screenshoy). For details about gvim, check the usenet for flamewars between vi and emacs users.

Comment

Is this study all wrapped?
                      No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                      "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

I was also curious of that. Seems like an ok topic, atleast something that would keep me interested if I was doing it myself. Seeing how the responses are from over a month back I will not answer the questions unless Kia11 still needs more material.
                        "The state is nothing but an instrument of oppression of one class by another--no less so in a democratic republic than in a monarchy."

Comment

Hey guys,

Just wanted to thank you all and let you know that my dissertation went well. If any of you where kind enough to help me out by sharing your insights would like to receive a copy of it please send me a pm with your email address and I will make sure you receive one.

Comment

Originally posted by Kia11
                            Hey guys,

Just wanted to thank you all and let you know that my dissertation went well.
                            "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

dp

Comment

Working...
                              X