No announcement yet.

Just thought of a special strategy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think most people tend to play the same basic strategy no matter what civ they're playing.

Comment

Originally posted by wodan11
      I think most people tend to play the same basic strategy no matter what civ they're playing.
      You're probably right. I know however one guy who might not. He always beats anyone at any sort of strategy game, and looking at him play is like trying to read Chinese. He's the sort of guy that would probably have a completely different strategy for each game and you wouldn't know what the heck he was doing. You gotta admire the brilliance of some people, the beauty of it.

Is there a good thread anywhere on unique strategies that are powerful? I remember I read somewhere once that in order to beat the higher difficulties, you have to play to your leaders traits. But that's not my experience at all. For me the traits are all of them just a handy benefit, each one. I guess I like org, fin and maybe phil best.

Comment

Oh, and I recently started playing BtS, and Charismatic seems to be an extremely powerful trait. I haven't tried it yet for some reason though.

Comment

Must play the traits.
          Simple differences.
          FIN. CE
          ORG. SE
          PHIL. SE
          IND. Wonder hog SE
          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Why SE with ORG? Why oh why? Oh, is it because you can usually only have 2 scientists per city, so it's better to have many cities (which ORG is strong for)? Plus, when you have many cities you won't be able to have the science slider high up, so SE is better for supporting many cities. And you get all those scientists! Wow, hey SE with ORG seems to work really well! I never thought of that. Actually I only recently learned about the SE.

But why SE with IND? Hmmm...

Comment

With lots of wonders, lots of GP points, which dove tails well with a SE strat. Lots of golden ages.
              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Blaupanzer
                You play the Native Americans and research archery late. What is the point of this? I would think that they and the Babylonians would be the two societies where archery would be practically an out-of-the-barrel tech. What is you see that I am apparently missing? Five extra experience points sounds self-revealing.
                B/c at Monarch and higher, with aggr AI and Raging Barbs, there's little use for an archer-rush. The AI starts with archery and gets BW/slavery fairly quick. By the time you can put together an impressive army the AI will be able to defend adequately enough to cause serious attrition. Early on I'll pick off some workers on the borders, but better to wait for Drill IV crossbows & cats to take out cities. Or upgrade drill IV longbows to grenadiers, rifles, or infantry and walk over the enemy.
                I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

The only reason you have a decent shot at the Monothesism religion with that tech plan in the single player game is the commerce from gems or gold you stated at the top. Remove those high commerce tiles and you'll get beat just about every time to the AI for Monotheism.

Stonehidge though is actually pretty easy to get first against the AI with that tech plan since there seems to be a great abdunance of forest in starting locations.
                  1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
                  Templar Science Minister
                  AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

Originally posted by joncnunn
                    The only reason you have a decent shot at the Monothesism religion with that tech plan in the single player game is the commerce from gems or gold you stated at the top. Remove those high commerce tiles and you'll get beat just about every time to the AI for Monotheism.
                    Yeah, that was the whole idea .

This research path delays things like Agriculture, Wheel, AH and Pottery, so you can't improve your land as early as usually. But you're chopping trees with your worker anyway, and that means that even though your city is stuck at pop 1 for a while, you're still being productive, and getting out a settler. So in my own humble opinion this plan is quite synergic (is that a word?). Well, it's quite of or pertaining to synergy anyway. :P

Comment

´synergetic´ would be my shot at spelling it. Tho i fail to see the synergy here. Except stonehenge + religion. That of course is synergetic. It´s my buddies standard plan. I love it, when i have stone at my cap and i can ruin it for him - hehehe....

Comment

Just out of interest and because on deity, build too many units before you access iron is too costly, I thought I would try building a wonder, particularly as my capital was built on stone (non industrious civ) so I learnt masonry for a change and set my capital to building the pyramids. It worked, so even on the highest levels if you want wonders can be built. Due to strength of nearby civs and iron only available near a well defended AI city, game never progressed far, but I found it interesting that I could beat the AI to something as big as the pyramids on the hardest level. I did have cows and sheep to pasture first, quite a few hills and plenty of forest to help though.

Comment

Synergistic.
                          You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Originally posted by trev
                            Just out of interest and because on deity, build too many units before you access iron is too costly, I thought I would try building a wonder, particularly as my capital was built on stone (non industrious civ) so I learnt masonry for a change and set my capital to building the pyramids. It worked, so even on the highest levels if you want wonders can be built. Due to strength of nearby civs and iron only available near a well defended AI city, game never progressed far, but I found it interesting that I could beat the AI to something as big as the pyramids on the hardest level. I did have cows and sheep to pasture first, quite a few hills and plenty of forest to help though.
                            Sounds like a beautiful land. What a shame you didn't have iron. That's a total game buster, if you didn't have copper either. Sometimes, when everything is so perfect except for something like this, I'm tempted to go to the worldbuilder and add the missing thing, like the iron. Because it just means you have to start over again, and again, until you have either metal.

But you actually managed to build the pyramids on deity? Wow, that's something.

Comment

Working...
                            X