Forbidden City Placement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forbidden City Placement

Has anybody checked how much maintenance savings you can get from siting the Forbidden City on another continent, instead of somewhere nearer your Capital?
    I am thinking if the savings are not that much, I might as well build the Forbidden City near my Capital as it is extremely time consuming to build it far away in usually lower production cities. The faster Forbidden City build time could save more maintenance in the long run as the savings (albeit low) start way earlier.

Using a GE to pop the FC is sometimes a good idea.

Anyway it's my understanding that colony maintenance is capped at a multiple of the distance penalty. Thus, if you reduce the distance penalty on your cities on another continent, then the colony maintenance would dramatically drop, in proportion.

Comment

Assuming you're playing Civ4, and not Civ3, I'd definitely build it further away. In Civ3 the hammer corruption was a problem, of course In Civ4, you should be getting high hammer cities all over the place. My guess is that you don't make enough of an effort to quickly grow your cities (obviously without seeing any of your play, so it's just a guess). You should have a city that is at least size 10 fairly easily pretty much anywhere, post-bureaucracy, with appropriate irrigation and a couple of food specials.
      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

If you are playing BTS, putting it on another continent is even more valuable since colonial maintenance is capped at twice distance maintenance.
        USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!
        The video may avatar is from

Comment

Any reason/benefit to put Versailles and Forbidden Palace in the same city?
          And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

Comment

If you're in State property will the FP even make a difference.
            It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Supr49er
              Any reason/benefit to put Versailles and Forbidden Palace in the same city?
              No, and I'm not entirely sure it's possible.
              <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
              I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

It's not possible, and no in State Property there is no difference.
                Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi Wan's apprentice.

Comment

Does the FC only reduce distance maintenance?
                  No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                  "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Yes but whereas colony maintenance is calculated for each city from distance maintenance, it's a moot point.

Comment

If you are playing BTS, putting it on another continent is even more valuable since colonial maintenance is capped at twice distance maintenance.
                      Now I didn't know that. That is very valuable.

Going on from there - what happens if your FP is in territory which you later grant independent to. Obviously you lose the benefits. But presumably, you then no longer have a FP - so you can build another one? That would mean that building it in a colony would be a good strategy - reduces colony maintenance while you have it, but it if still ends up too much, you grant it independent and build it elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Garth Vader
                        It's not possible, and no in State Property there is no difference.
                        Except you do still get the culture and the GP points.

Comment

Originally posted by The Priest
                          Going on from there - what happens if your FP is in territory which you later grant independent to. Obviously you lose the benefits. But presumably, you then no longer have a FP - so you can build another one? That would mean that building it in a colony would be a good strategy - reduces colony maintenance while you have it, but it if still ends up too much, you grant it independent and build it elsewhere.
                          Yes, if you build the FC in a city that you later grant independence to - you will then be able to build it in another city (as long as the city does not already have 2 national wonders built). The same thing goes for any national wonders that you build in a city that you later grant independence to (as long as the national wonder is not obsolete).
                          "One day if I do go to heaven, I'm going to do what every San Franciscan does who goes to heaven - I'll look around and say, 'It ain't bad, but it ain't San Francisco.'" - Herb Caen, 1996
                          "If God, as they say, is homophobic, I wouldn't worship that God." - Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

Silly follow up question then.
                            If you grant it independence, do the national wonders stay or are they erased. How about if you send one back to it's original civ and they have created a dup? (I can guess the latter but more wondering about the former)
                            It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

If you grant independence, ANY national wonders in the city are erased (You can them build them again in another of your cities).

If you send a city back to its original owner, irrelevent if the original owner built another national wonder or not - if there is a national wonder in the city being gifted, it too is erased.
                              "One day if I do go to heaven, I'm going to do what every San Franciscan does who goes to heaven - I'll look around and say, 'It ain't bad, but it ain't San Francisco.'" - Herb Caen, 1996
                              "If God, as they say, is homophobic, I wouldn't worship that God." - Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

Working...
                              X