Brag Your Highest XP Units

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lambiorix_be

How do you reach such high XP? It can't be by just attacking other units and win every time...or can it?
    **cough**worldbuilder**cough**
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?...So with that said: if you can not read my post because of spelling, then who is really the stupid one?...

Comment

Originally posted by Lambiorix_be

How do you reach such high XP? It can't be by just attacking other units and win every time...or can it?
      Well, siege units + blitz promoted funships can get silly in a hurry.

Comment

Originally posted by Hauptman

**cough**worldbuilder**cough**
        aha I kind of expected this but didn't want to be rude

Until now I didn't use worldbuilder for that. I did use it last time when I had already a big empire and still no copper or iron. It was a matter of time before my neighbours (all with copper/iron) would invade my smart but weak empire. So I added copper and iron close to my capital to set things straight.

Not having copper/iron is by the way always so frustrating because it is normally very abundant. Especially if your empire has already 10%-15% of the world mass in its possession.

Comment

These are my best units (with GG, without GG)
          Both of them started as cavalry in my war against the Khmer (around 1400-1500 AD) and later, upgraded to gunships, participated in my war against the Portugese in 1700-1800 (who surprise attacked me with more than 100 units, many of them being tanks; the war ended after more than 100 years of endless fighting with all portugese cities on the continent getting conquered and the remainder of the portugese empire becoming my vassal [the discovery that the portugese only oil well was within figter range of one of my vassals [the Khmer] cities, so that I only had to station a fighter there to keep their oil from flowing, helped me a lot in my war efforts])

Last edited by Proteus_MST; June 29, 2008, 07:06.
          Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
          Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Here's my highest XP unit. He started out life as a grenadier, hence the lack of city attack upgrades. I was surprised he lasted that long, because I attack aggressively with my GG units and find they are more susceptible to losing the 99.9% probability attacks than normal units.
            Attached Files

Comment

Mine always die before they get that high.
              I do occasionally get one up into the 70's but that's about it.
              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by rah
                Mine always die before they get that high.
                Gunships or Cavalry are well suited for this.
                They have their own 25% withdrawal bonus (Cavalry = 30%),
                so, combined with the withdrawal capabilities from Tactics (that you can get from the GG) and the normal withdrawal upgrades you can create a unit that has 95% withdrawal chance in a combat.
                Even against superior opponents this normally gives you a chance of >90% of surviving the battle (and gathering experience).
                Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Originally posted by Proteus_MST

Gunships or Cavalry are well suited for this.
                  They have their own 25% withdrawal bonus (Cavalry = 30%),
                  so, combined with the withdrawal capabilities from Tactics (that you can get from the GG) and the normal withdrawal upgrades you can create a unit that has 95% withdrawal chance in a combat.
                  Even against superior opponents this normally gives you a chance of >90% of surviving the battle (and gathering experience).
                  This helps but can be a bit overkill if you also give that unit a lot of combat promotions.

e.g., the 90% withdrawal only applies to your lose percentage. Say you have a 99.0% chance to win. If you have 90% retreat then your chance to retreat is 0.9%.

Yes, it does push your chance not to die from 99.0% to 99.9%, which is worthwhile. But, I'd say it's better to promote all the way up the combat line first.

(Unless you don't have a tech lead... if you're constantly fighting on parity or worse against superior units, then promoting up the Flanking line is a real good early option for a Warlord.)

Wodan

Comment

if a unit has 500 combats, eventualy it will lose a 99% combat. If you try to minimize it by just attacking almost dead units, it defeats the point of it being so strong in the first place. (unless it was built just to be your super healer)
                    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

... why'd you say that, rah? Nobody suggested attacking almost dead units. It's a good point, though.

Comment

Even at 99% odds, that's one loss inone hundred. So statistically, survival in 500 combats becomes pretty problematic. I only use a one GG to warlord up one unit for the Heroic Epic and West Point. The others go to be instructors. With four instructors, stable, barracks, and WP; one mounted unit can begin life at 17 -- or 21 with the right Civics. At that rate, I usually get a few units in the 30s.

However, if those units are at the front, a big stack of opponents can wear that unit to death, as it keeps defending over others in the stack. Unless the unit is a seige weapon (-2 for no stable increase), it defends too often in very damaged shape.
                        No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                        "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Before flanking attacks, I used to use all the gg, that weren't added as instructors, to seige units. But now, they get flanked and killed too quick.

And even if it displays 99.9, it could be really 99.99 which would be 1 in a thousand. Remember it used to show those as 100. but now it displays at 99.9
                          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I do it the same way as Blaupanzer.
                            Only 1-2 great generals as leaders for my troops.
                            The rest goes to the one city that I determine as elite troop building city, with one GG founding a military academy and the rest being great instructors. Gives me around 12-15 initial XPs for every unit built there (especially if I also manage to get a certain WW).

As for strategies in combat:
                            Bombardements with bombers and fighters are very helpful in softening the defenders up and help to increase the survivability of your troops

Comment

This is from a Napoleonic Europe mod/scenario (one I highly recommend) on the "other site." With 100% chance of retreat, blitz, mobility and +200% XP, he can gain 24 XP each turn sitting next to an enemy stack/city without killing a single unit. Of course, not as impressive as an epic game unit with far less XP, but still nice to have around.

Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Originally posted by Solomwi
                                This is from a Napoleonic Europe mod/scenario (one I highly recommend) on the "other site." With 100% chance of retreat, blitz, mobility and +200% XP, he can gain 24 XP each turn sitting next to an enemy stack/city without killing a single unit.
                                You only retreat when you otherwise would lose the battle (and die). In such a case, you don't have enough health to attack again. So I don't quite understand your tactic here... can you please explain what I'm missing?

Comment

Working...
                                X