Strategic advice needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strategic advice needed

I'm playing Vikings (large map, noble, Warlords) anno 1923. We've gotten to tanks and flight has just been introduced. I have the biggest empire (in area), the biggest production (by far) and the strongest military (narrowly). I hold most of my continent, with my vassals the Aztecs controlling the remainder (I probably should have annexed them, but meh, too late).

I recently had been in a short war with the Koreans, at the request of my best friends, the French. Both the Koreans and the French share a continent with the Arabs.
    I captured a Korean a city but before I was able to steamroll other cities they capitulated to France, automatically ending my war. And naturally, my lust for blood hasn't been satisfied.

Before I was asked to join the war against the Koreans, I was actually considering to attack the Indians who share a continent with the Zulus and the Carthaginians.

Hence, I'm not doubting whether I should attack the Indians or the Koreans.

With the Koreans I already have a beachhead and they are a pushover like no other at the moment. However, they have the backing of France, who are about a strong as I am militarily. Going to war would also put the good relations and significant trade with France at stake. But then again, I also have about double their production capacity and a war would give me the opportunity to capture a pesky island the French owns near my continent.

The Indians are an attractive target because they have 3 exclave cities, one of which a holy one. I also don't have good relations with them and they are only friends with the Arabs and the Koreans, so the diplomatic fallout would be minimal. Finally their military strength is a fair bit smaller than mine or France's.
    OTOH, I don't have a beachhead, the exclave cities could be suffocated by Carthaginian culture and the prospect of owning cities across 3 separate continents isn't very attractive.

What would be the best course of action?

Screenies (people post far too few of it here ):

DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Take over the whole continent of Cathago, India and Zoulou, wipe them out ! Then you will have such a productive empire, that you won't bother smashing diplomacy. Build a huge amount of marines, and get this job done

Comment

This is a tough one, but my gut-feeling tells me to go for the Koreans and feed the cities you keep with a lot of defensive troops. You have a beachhead already - use it! You may even end up with a reasonable "buffer-zone" against the French.

Opening another front as well is normally a bad idea. Well, at least that is what history tells

ybrevo

Comment

First, you need to move fast, as there's not much time left in the game. Whatever you do, plan this to be the Final War.

It probably doesn't matter which way you decide. Pick one, and go with it.

Personally I'd probably attack either the Zulu or Carthage. You can probably get the French and Koreans to stay neutral but I would NOT invite them into the war on your side, to avoid the capitulation problem.

The converse wouldn't be true. If you attack the French/Koreans, then it's likely the French would get others to join in against you.

You didn't say if any of the three on the southern continent had a defensive pact.

I think you're making too much of a big deal about a beachhead. Just load up a bunch of tanks and go take a new one.

You also didn't say if you have airports.

Anyway, if you possibly can, DOW just one of them (Carthage or Zulu) and take him out before you go on to attack the Indians.

Wodan

Comment

I only have time victory selected, and I can't really be arsed if I win that one. Normally I'll keep playing. My most pressing concern is that I can dominate the UN (which hasn't been founded yet), because I hate the global civics resolutions. I'm quite happy being the communistic monarchy I am, you see.

The Indians don't even have open borders with neighbouring Carthage and Zululand. Nobody has defence pacts except I and France with our vassals.

Attacking the Zulus is a third option. They're one of the 3 weaklings in the game (along with the Aztecs and the Koreans) and shouldn't be a match. However, they're a friend of mine and it'd probably be a more unpopular move than the other 2. Everyone likes the Zulus but the Koreans and the Indians. And as with attacking the Indians I don't find it desirable to spread across 3 continents.

The Arabs are one of the big 4 in the game and they don't like the neighbouring frogs. I might get their support were the French to give me a hard time.
          DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Go for the Indians since the French would kill you. And you're right people need to post more screenshots like yours.

You should also look into BTS since your continent is all but invincible at the moment on Warlords, since the AI's naval invasion capacity was pretty poor.

Comment

Originally posted by Colonâ„¢
              I only have time victory selected
              You mean you have all victories selected except time victory?

My most pressing concern is that I can dominate the UN (which hasn't been founded yet), because I hate the global civics resolutions. I'm quite happy being the communistic monarchy I am, you see.

I totally agree with you there. I think the UN is one of the worst gameplay mechanics they could have thought of.

The concept of the UN is basically one of "peer pressure". As such, the majority of the planet should be able to put pressure on the minority to do what the majority is doing. Thus, there's nothing wrong with a world-wide emphasis on Mercantilism, or Nationalism, or Pacifism.

Not only is this just as much of a good realization/implementation of reality (as what was done, which is to force the UN to implement what we on the "real" Earth have as our majority civics), it also is good gameplay. This would allow players the most flexibility and enjoyment. Player creativity and varied game strategy means more repeat game value, higher customer satisfaction and use of the product.

And as with attacking the Indians I don't find it desirable to spread across 3 continents.

Then "gift" your current beachhead city to the French or Koreans. Problem solved.

Wodan
              Last edited by wodan11; March 31, 2008, 19:02.

Comment

The Arabs are one of the big 4 in the game and they don't like the neighbouring frogs. I might get their support were the French to give me a hard time.
                Another option is to get French support and attack the Arabs. If you can get them to DOW at the same time as you their land forces will clash and you can come in the back from the sea and hopefully find a lot of lightly defended cities.
                Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi Wan's apprentice.

Comment

The Arab route is worth considering. They're #2 in score so its interesting to remove my main rival.

Originally posted by wodan11

You mean you have all victories selected except time victory?
                  No, I only have time victory selected, like I said.

And I'm not doing gamey stuff like giving away cities. More practically, it has cows and gold within its radius (resources I otherwise don't have access to). The gold mine is outside the cultural reach however. Another benefit of pressing further into Korea would be to obtain control of it.

Comment

No, I only have time victory selected, like I said.
                    Sorry but you just really confuse me. For example, if you don't have Diplomatic Victory enabled, then you can't build the U.N.

And I'm not doing gamey stuff like giving away cities. More practically, it has cows and gold within its radius (resources I otherwise don't have access to). The gold mine is outside the cultural reach however. Another benefit of pressing further into Korea would be to obtain control of it.
                    Well, I guess you already know what you want to do... you're just trying to convince us your predilection is right.

Wodan

Comment

I think it's fun to discuss it.

Originally posted by wodan11

Sorry but you just really confuse me. For example, if you don't have Diplomatic Victory enabled, then you can't build the U.N.
                      Oh really? Kick ass! Then I'll just kick ass to satisfy my lust for blood.

Comment

To me a Time Victory is just a fancy phrase for defeat; so I'm a bit suprized someone would disable all other forms of victory and just leave that one on.

The strategy for that one is if you have a large score lead according to the victory screen, just sit on it and run out the clock.

But if you are ahead by <5% or are behind <2% behind : Pick the weakest opponent who doesn't have friends and wipe him out (capture his cities, don't raize) to take or cement your lead.

Now if your behind >2% your better off directly attacking whoever it is with that lead. And in this case while capturing cities is prefered, if razing is faster go for that.
                        1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
                        Templar Science Minister
                        AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

Maybe I play Civ as a sandbox game and can't be arsed about getting a good score?

Comment

Well, I guess I'll blow up my good relationship with France and conquer Korea. I'll pretend everyone's interested and keep you informed about the progress/regress.

Comment

How did the French get to be on Korea's side, considering this.

I recently had been in a short war with the Koreans, at the request of my best friends, the French.

Comment

Working...
                              X