Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best/Favorite new Civ in BtS? (Gameplay wise)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ethopia & the Netherlands are my favorite new civs. Which one is best depends upon the map.
    1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
    Templar Science Minister
    AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

Originally posted by Krill
      So you're going to do what when HA come at you? Archers can surfice against chariots, 2v1 and 5v2 (even with flanking the archers aren't going to get odds on a chariot with combat 1). Spears are necassary to continue to grow and defend against HA, so you can't just ignore metal entirely.
      By the time someone comes at me with HAs, I'll have a much bigger empire. Most likely with copper or iron. And a COM1/FLANK1 archer vs. COM1 chariot is 4.05-4.4, with Drill I and the chariot gets no defensive bonuses. It's slightly less than 50-50 but a second archer is almost a guaranteed kill, and that tradeoff leans in my favor (assuming equal build rates vs AI).

As for Dogs, a COM1 Dog vs. a COM1 Axeman= 8.4 vs 8 or 8.1. A regular Dog vs. COM1 swordsman= 8 vs. 6.6, both assuming no defensive terrain for the defenders. Even better if the Dog is defending. Their early rush is limited, but it is possible and more likely than most other civs. Their medieval rush can be deadly. And nothing else is quite as fun (and expensive) as 30 Drill IV crossbows upgraded into Grenadiers.
      I'm consitently stupid- Japher
      I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Many of them are good.

I like Pacal, Suryavarman and Willem in no particular order.
        "The state is nothing but an instrument of oppression of one class by another--no less so in a democratic republic than in a monarchy."

Comment

I'm kind of surprised there isn't more love for Babylon. I tend to view them as a more combat orientated version of the Ottomans (well the Ottomans under Mehmed, I don't particularly care for Suleiman). And I view the Ottomans as one of the best Civs added in Warlords and one of the best Civs overall.

Also the large amount of Dutch love is somewhat surprising. They are very, very good, no doubt about that. But in my view the fact that you can't utilize their unique advantages on certain starting positions or maps types makes them lose a few points in my book.

Comment

I don't like the Babylonians. Somehow the trait combination along with the UU and UB makes for a combination that doesn't work for me. Mehmed is really good too and for a certain type of game Suleiman is also a monster but then again, I suppose every leader has their strong point and while my preferences were Pacal, Suryavarman and Willem, I still wouldn't say no most of the leaders.

The ones I don't like and will restart if I random are Joao, Hammurabi, Sitting Bull, Burger King and from time to time Gilgamesh.

Joao I can't seem to utilize as I should (REX monster), Hammurabi's UU/UB/Trait combo doesn't work for me, Sitting Bull's Archer-focus isn't for me, Burger King has two of the worst traits and Gilgamesh's Trait combo isn't for me either.
            "The state is nothing but an instrument of oppression of one class by another--no less so in a democratic republic than in a monarchy."

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
              I'm a big fan of the Native Americans myself. Easiest civ to rush a close enemy with by far -
              gota agree

nothing like dog warrior rush
              anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

Originally posted by Supr49er
                I also like the Maya - for the music and their lunatic Pacal II.
                I do more trade with the Mayans than anyone else, just to hear their sweet theme tune.
                www.neo-geo.com

Comment

Babylon.

Obvious reasons.

The Apolytoner formerly known as Alexander01
                  "God has given no greater spur to victory than contempt of death." - Hannibal Barca, c. 218 B.C.
                  "We can legislate until doomsday but that will not make men righteous." - George Albert Smith, A.D. 1949
                  The Kingdom of Jerusalem: Chronicles of the Golden Cross - a Crusader Kings After Action Report

Comment

What the?

No love for Charlamaign? Screw the traits, that UU and UB are incredibly over powered. Both of em.

Landschnek can attack a stack and kill off all the catapults and trebs first! (first time I saw that I almost fell out of my chair) allowing your longbows/crossbows to defend at full strength.

75% reduction in city maintenance is HUGE! compare that to Shaka's 60%, wich requires TWO buildings. It's a no brainer. Expand expand expand. and game won.

I had to stop playing as Charlamaign, he made the game too easy.
                    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?...So with that said: if you can not read my post because of spelling, then who is really the stupid one?...

Comment

Originally posted by Hauptman
                      ... No love for Charlamaign? Screw the traits, that UU and UB are incredibly over powered. Both of em...
                      Excellent UU, UB combo - one of the most powerful in the game, not dependent on any particular map type.
                      And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

Comment

Can not believe Ethiopian does not get more kudos....
                        great cultural civ with an exceptional UU for mid game wars. UB gets culture moving faster than normal and reduced construction cost of all those buildings makes them over the top for builders like me....I creamed a friend who is a wonder builder using the Ethiopian recently in MP game....

Comment

I've picked the Khmer for no apparent reason other than I've just started a game with them and it is going well. Good civ for early expansion.

I have ivory too so I'm looking forward to testing out the UU on my closest neighbour(s). Clearly you can't utilise their UU in every game though, ivory can be scarce...

Comment

Currently playing Ethiopia (for the first time) I do like the culture bonuses, and beelined gunpowder through education ignoring the lower half of the f-6 page, but all in all, I'm not that impressed for anything other than a culture win type game. We'll see when it comes time for the cheap factories.
                            --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?...So with that said: if you can not read my post because of spelling, then who is really the stupid one?...

Comment

Gilga is a fresh additive me thinks...

great early UU which makes you temporary aggressive.

and then a early and cheap UB called Ziggurat to control the risen costs of your Greater Sumeria.

Comment

The early coutrhouse of the Sumerians is great.
                                Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
                                The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
                                The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

Working...
                                X