No announcement yet.

Do you finish a losing game ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I keep playing a losing situation, but I quit just before they take my last city or something close to that situation. This keeps my game records from having a bunch of losses contaminating the list. Otherwise, it is fight tooth and nail.
    If you aren't confused,
    You don't understand.

Comment

Can't capitulate? I'm fairly sure that when I first played BtS Shaka told me to capitulate and I did. Was I dreaming?
      "The state is nothing but an instrument of oppression of one class by another--no less so in a democratic republic than in a monarchy."

Comment

I don't believe they can, no, again excepting a mod (there are some mods, including at least one firaxis mod IIRC, that allows it).
        <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
        I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

I wouldn't finish any game if I wouldn't finish (or continue to play) every game I'm losing. I always try to stretch my abilities by playing at high levels. I always lose, but get better and better by continueing playing, even when behind.

If I'm seriously losing (ie. the AI is taking city by city) then I quit. But if I'm just last in the scorelist and behind on tech research, then I keep fighting, trying to find my way back up.

It actually works.
          I have good hope that I may finally win the immortal game I'm playing right now. Lost the last one by a small margin.

I don't think that people who aren't able to lose will be able to win at the higher levels eventually.
          Formerly known as "CyberShy"
          Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

Originally posted by Ming

If I'm enjoying the game, winning or losing, I will continue. When a game stops being fun (massive tedius turns required to finally win, or death by a thousand cuts) I stop. However, I'm more than likely to continue a losing effort for a few extra turns if I think I can learn something in the process.
            That's my atitude too. If there's something to learn, or at least something to do to recover, I will play on. However, I'm not a "until the last city falls" type by any means. Even tedium in winning will lead me to retire.
            No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
            "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

I don't mind playing from behind, but it is clear that I am doomed, I will generally not drag on the inevitable.

Most of the Saturday games we play go on until there are only two or three people left, and lateness of night can be a factor as well. If I am clearly being outscored and outteched there comes a point where conceding is a better option than stubbornly fighting to the last man and forcing people to stay up until 4AM to do so.
              "Cunnilingus and Psychiatry have brought us to this..."

Tony Soprano

Comment

Yeah, in MP, you can usually tell when you're doomed.

And yes, lateness is a big factor.

The interesting thing about the Saturday games is the in even 4 or 5 hours, it's usually pretty obvious who will prevail in the long run. When there's a lot of players it may be a couple of players and there is not time for the final show down. And sometimes no matter how skilled you are, the cirmcustances say you lose.
                It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Unlike what most players seem to do, I'll even finish a game I am clearly WINNING!
                  If you are clearly losing a game, you can learn from the experience of playing it out (and maybe even pull a rabbit out of the hat).
                  If you are clearly winning a game, the impetus to learn is not so great, but even an AI might pull a rabbit out of the hat (particularly if you aren't keeping tabs on ALL the victory conditions).
                  Last edited by Jaybe; March 13, 2008, 17:41.

Comment

If I'm clearly losing or clearly winning a game, I'll quit it. Or if I'm bored. I play for fun, nothing else

Comment

Interesting that people just stop loading the game. Cheats. :lol

Myself, I am a massocist and therefore press the Retire button. I can therefore see my losing score immortalised in the hall of fame.
                      "What if somebody gave a war and nobody came?" Allen Ginsberg

"Opinions are like arses, everyone has one." Anon

Comment

Working...
                      X