No - I win every single game
    0.00%
    No- I just stop loading it
    69.57%
    No- bananas never lose
    8.70%
    anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

If I see I've won or lost, and all I have left is tedious waiting, I stop playing. I play the game for fun. If that ends, I stop playing.
    Seriously. Kung freaking fu.

Comment

Winning isn't my goal. If the game is challenging and fun, I go on playing, whether I have a chance of winning or not.
      To be one with the Universe is to be very lonely - John Doe - Datalinks

Comment

My playing time's too valuable to waste on a loser. I'm 72 and want as much fun as I can get.

I just hate it when I have a nice little empire a-building and some twerp declares war on me. I'll duke it out with him until he starts knocking off my cities and then I'll quite. If I can get a city back in a turn or two I'll keep going, but if I lose two, I'll give it up.

My problem is that in my excitement to build all the good things that will make my people happy I neglect to build the military. Oh sure, I'll put a warrior or two in each city in the beginning but I then neglect to have those cities build offensive units. I keeping thinking, "In a turn or two, I must do that."

Learning.
        Jack

Comment

I just stop loading it. And start a new one!
          RIAA sucks
          The Optimistas
          I'm a political cartoonist

Comment

I abandon any game that is hopeless or whenever i find myself in an annoying situation like being attacked by all my neighbors
            no more turns...

Comment

I agree with MyOlde.

What I now do is press F9 regularly to check stats especially my soldiers against the others, especially as quite a number of AI (and humans in MP) will focus on weaker (mil) civs. As long as I keep in the upper half (of total civs playing), I don't worry about attacks as much.
              On the ISDG 2012 team at the heart of CiviLIZation

Comment

Originally posted by Modo44
                If I see I've won or lost, and all I have left is tedious waiting, I stop playing. I play the game for fun. If that ends, I stop playing.
                ++. If I had to be honest with myself, the best way to describe my game style in Civ IV would be Sandbox-ish.
                It's a CB.
                --
                SteamID: rampant_scumbag

Comment

It depends on the circumstances. In some games I just make too many stupid decisions - or forget where I am going with my strategy - and then I rather quit and start a new game. Once I started a naval war with China - just to find out that my navy was about 400 years outdated ... I didn´t have the patience to see the consequences.

ybrevo

Comment

Yes, I play until they pry my cities from my cold dead hands. However, I still learn things even being pummeled.
                    And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

Comment

Originally posted by Earthling7
                      Winning isn't my goal. If the game is challenging and fun, I go on playing, whether I have a chance of winning or not.
                      I agree with having fun. If I'm having fun, I'll keep playing, even if it seems unlikely that I'll win.

That said, I much prefer to win.
                      "The nation that controls magnesium controls the universe."

-Matt Groenig

Comment

It's also possible to take a beating and then capitulate to a powerful AI and then work your way to a cultural or a diplo win, if such are still open with your remaining empire

That said, I do find it very disheartening to get 3-5 DoWs in a single turn and being the realist that I am, I will forfeit the game in front of the stacks of doom that follow.
                        "The state is nothing but an instrument of oppression of one class by another--no less so in a democratic republic than in a monarchy."

Comment

Humans can't capitulate to AI players, though...unless you're playing a mod of some kind.
                          "The nation that controls magnesium controls the universe."

-Matt Groenig

Comment

Originally posted by jkp1187
                            I agree with having fun. If I'm having fun, I'll keep playing
                            That pretty much sums up my attitude. If I'm enjoying the game, winning or lossing, I will continue. When a game stops being fun (massive tedius turns required to finally win, or death by a thousand cuts) I stop.

However, I'm more than likely to continue a lossing effort for a few extra turns if I think I can learn something in the process.
                            Keep on Civin'
                            RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I play to have fun too. So sometimes if I am about to get rolled by a SOD I'll restore from an old save to get ready. If that's not good enough I'll give myself a couple of units in the world builder. If it would take more than a few units I take it as a loss and quit the game.
                              Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi Wan's apprentice.

Comment

Working...
                              X