When should the game end?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cartimandua
    Honestly, I don't make it to the end of the game very often, in fact I almost never actually get a victory, but I don't lose either. My husband calls it an attention problem, I say nothing fun happens after 1900 AD. I just get bored and start a new game. I guess I have more fun at the beginning of the game than I do later.
    This is exactly my situation/thinking except that I don't have a husband.

To the folks that want the game to go on longer, I'm sorry about the poll. I just didn't think of it. However in one way it's good, I like to see the banana option blitz the opposition now and again.

I also agree that marathon is too fast...or something. This setting is indeed epic in it's scope, but something is absent that I can't put my finger on yet.
    Last edited by Lancer; February 25, 2008, 19:18.
    Long time member @ Apolyton
    Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Banana. Why not longer?
      The points you raise in the op have nothing to do with the game length but with design choices for combat.
      Clash of Civilization team member
      (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
      web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

Very true. The combat starts going south with catapults and so I tend to associate the passage of time in the game with the demise of its interest to me. The early game makes more sense.
        Long time member @ Apolyton
        Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

When the banana get it's laser gun

I like it that they have focused more on the late eras. There are two eras I like most, and that's the beginning when you have the build-up and the the last one(s). I like modern warfare in civ. The armies are more complexed, you need aircrafts and a combined force at sea etc. If you ask me, there should be some more future techs and maybe a tech advance/ jump for those who arrives at alpha centauri as that should give valuable experience and new possibilities for science projects. A post-modern era tech tree and maybe explorations of alpha centauri (like multiple worlds in Test of Time) should be an option the player can set in custom game.

So, I'm happy for the modern focus with BtS and say only: give me more!

Comment

Originally posted by Theben
            When the final hiss of life escapes the lips of the last heathen savage impaled on my bayonet.

I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

Originally posted by LDiCesare
              Banana. Why not longer?
              Exactly.
              RIAA sucks
              The Optimistas
              I'm a political cartoonist

Comment

Originally posted by Blaupanzer
                Voted for "fine the way it is," but I like TimeTraveler's idea to be able to pick first and last eras at the beginning of the game.
                For some the fairest thing on this dark earth is Thermopylae, and Spartan phalaxes low'ring lances to die -- Sappho

Comment

I put the same because there was no 'why not longer option'.

Also, I think I won a time victory once, it was probably vanilla civ 4 and I turned off the space win. Furthermore, they didn't even bother with a cinematic for a diplo win so I doubt they would have one for time. Winning can be a bit of a let down some times.

Comment

If you're not a DL, nice name.
                    I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                    I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Working...
                    X