When should the game end?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When should the game end?

I think it should end with the discovery of industrialization. They went too far beyond the sword and should have focused even more on the pre industrial times and more realistic combat resolution. In Civ II you had ships crashing themselves into cities. In IV you have catapults going in first, unsupported. That's a tad odd.

So, when should it end for you?
    Just where it does now
    35.71%
    At some point before industrialism
    0.00%
    It should end at Industrialism
    2.38%
    Post industrialism but before it now ends
    4.76%
    When the fat banana sings
    57.14%
    Long time member @ Apolyton
    Civilization player since the dawn of time

On one hand, they did seem to focus more on advances of the last 200 years than they needed to. But that's because the modern and industrial era have gotten a bit crowded. If I was designing the game, the last era available would involve stuff that has yet to be developed by anyone. As in the more important things we might expect for the next 200 years. Or at least the next 100.

Of course, I'd also have it where when deciding the parameters of the game, one of the things possible to choose would be the first and last era available in that particular game.
    Known in most other places as Anon Zytose.
    +3 Research, +2 Efficiency, -1 Growth, -2 Industry, -2 Support.
    http://anonzytose.deviantart.com/

Comment

You get a "banana" vote from me because you did not even consider that there would be people who would not want the game shortened but rather lengthened if at all possible. That seems to me to be a significant unconcious omission, unless, of course, you really only wanted to talk to people who agreed with you. I am not interested in Sci-Fi scenarios, but a little more exploration of the post-modern era of politics, economics and combat could be very interesting.
      If you aren't confused,
      You don't understand.

Comment

I for one would play the game with earnest even if they doubled the number of turns it takes to finish. Marathon is too fast. This is slightly off topic so to respond to your poll, I vote Banana but will also point out that I'm quite content with the way the game progresses and ends. You can win by 1000 AD but you can also play all the way to 2100. It's good.
        "The state is nothing but an instrument of oppression of one class by another--no less so in a democratic republic than in a monarchy."

Comment

I'm fine where it ends now.
          And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

Comment

I couldn't care less. I usually stop playing once it is clear that the game is won/lost, which can be any point in time, really.
            Seriously. Kung freaking fu.

Comment

NextWar, baby! It doesn't end until every city has an arcology and Assault Mechs roam the world!
              "The nation that controls magnesium controls the universe."

-Matt Groenig

Comment

When the final hiss of life escapes the lips of the last heathen savage impaled on my bayonet.
                I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Yet another banana here. I don't think I've ever gone all the way to a 'time' victory. In my games it has always been won by someone before then.

Comment

Yep, never reached the 'Time' victory either.
                    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I suppose I should try for a time victory sometime. A substantial challenge would be to (1) avoid other victory types, and (2) preventing others from those things.

They would all have to be enabled, of course.
                      And it could make for a long, boring end-game with the way I play. Possibly it would make it more rewarding.

Comment

I wonder what the cinematic for a time win is.
                        "The state is nothing but an instrument of oppression of one class by another--no less so in a democratic republic than in a monarchy."

Comment

Originally posted by Fleme
                          I wonder what the cinematic for a time win is.
                          I don't think there is one.
                          And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

Comment

Honestly, I don't make it to the end of the game very often, in fact I almost never actually get a victory, but I don't lose either. My husband calls it an attention problem, I say nothing fun happens after 1900 AD. I just get bored and start a new game. I guess I have more fun at the beginning of the game than I do later.
                            In the beginning the Universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

Comment

Voted for "fine the way it is," but I like TimeTraveler's idea to be able to pick first and last eras at the beginning of the game.

I have won a "time" victory and the last hundred turns were spent racing to stop spaceship construction in two civs and seize one of the cultural cities to prevent another AI from winning that way. Might as well have gone for a domination win given the power I needed to generate anyway.
                              No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                              "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Working...
                              X